2022 Game 4: Temple

Get ready for some MACtion
Calmass9
Junior

2022 Game 4: Temple

Post by Calmass9 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:05 pm

Line opens at Temple -9.5, thought it would be closer to 14 honestly.

This is a winnable game if a lot of things go right. Campiotti will need to have his best game through the air and the defense will need to repeat a similar performance, albeit against a better opponent.

Temple just hung around a pretty decent Rutgers team and lost 16-14 after coming in as 18.5 point underdog. They got absolutely waxxed by a bad Duke team in week 1 and beat FCS Lafayette 30-14 where they had to block 3 punts to secure the win comfortably. They were only up 21-14 entering the 4th in that one.

My hope is that we can win a 24-20 type of game with the defense forcing some turnovers but my actual prediction is Temple wins 31-17.

dennisdent
Senior

Re: 2022 Game 4: Temple

Post by dennisdent » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:30 pm

Temple is good on defense and is improving on offense. If the game was in Amherst, I would give UMass more of a chance to win or stay close. Hopefully the punting issues will be worked on this week and better on game day. Will have to pass to have any chance at all...Should be a physical game!

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:28 am

Looks like we will be playing against Kurt Warner's son.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:19 pm

dennisdent wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:30 pm Temple is good on defense and is improving on offense. If the game was in Amherst, I would give UMass more of a chance to win or stay close. Hopefully the punting issues will be worked on this week and better on game day. Will have to pass to have any chance at all...Should be a physical game!
And therefore - Umass will lose this one.

I am not looking for any miracles this season, if they can be competitive and UConn and NM State meaning a win or a loss within one score then that is fine for this season.

Don Brown had his hands full starting this season and if he is going to be successful by any measure, it is going to take 3 to 4 years to achieve that.

Upstate10
Senior

Post by Upstate10 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:55 pm

Would be extremely happy if we can compete

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:19 pm

Continue to show improvement, that's all I ask for.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:31 pm

eldonabe wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:19 pm
dennisdent wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:30 pm Temple is good on defense and is improving on offense. If the game was in Amherst, I would give UMass more of a chance to win or stay close. Hopefully the punting issues will be worked on this week and better on game day. Will have to pass to have any chance at all...Should be a physical game!

I am not looking for any miracles this season, if they can be competitive and UConn and NM State meaning a win or a loss within one score then that is fine for this season.

Don Brown had his hands full starting this season and if he is going to be successful by any measure, it is going to take 3 to 4 years to achieve that.
They are going to be a little more than competitive against those sad sack teams. NMSU is our game right out of the bye week and NMSU and UConn both suck. UConn got pasted 59-0. We hold a team to a FG and everybody is pissed off. In Don Brown We Trust.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:41 pm

NMSU and UConn both lost by 59 points Saturday.......that's spooky.

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:29 pm

I will say, there were a couple of mistakes that were kind of fluky that kept the game from being more lopsided. The interception was very weird, should have been a catch in great field position and somehow just bounced perfectly into the defender's arms. There was another barely off pass/catch that would have been a TD.

Game of inches. Inches in the wrong direction for us this time, but we still ended up with the W.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:19 am

ZooMass84 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:31 pm

They are going to be a little more than competitive against those sad sack teams. NMSU is our game right out of the bye week and NMSU and UConn both suck. UConn got pasted 59-0. We hold a team to a FG and everybody is pissed off. In Don Brown We Trust.

I am not holding my breath - They will be lucky to core 17 (offensive) points. I am going with Temple 27 - Umass 17. Respectable on the scoreboard at least.

Holding Stony Brook to a field goal is not much different than the Red Sox playing the Woo Sox. Uconn got "pasted" by one of the best teams in the country. UMass looked like shit against a MAC team and a wannabe AAC team.

You cannot compare Apples and Levi's.....

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:21 am

I'm not pissed off

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:56 am

Nobody here is pissed. Fans are just keeping things in perspective. FBS teams are SUPPOSED to beat FCS teams, especially weak ones.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:57 pm

I think we continue gradual improvement. I think defense will get better and better once they start playing with instinct vs thinking too much and offense begins to score more. I smell big upset with several breaks including missed xtra pt.. UMass 24 Temple 23

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:00 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You are the best
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:17 pm

stevemaz wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:57 pm I think we continue gradual improvement. I think defense will get better and better once they start playing with instinct vs thinking too much and offense begins to score more. I smell big upset with several breaks including missed xtra pt.. UMass 24 Temple 23
You are a treasure Steve.... Just keep throwin' shit against the wall until something sticks. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Your batting average is like .056% - you do not get to gloat if you ever get one of these right. You need at least 4 or 5 in a row before you can give us an "I told you so".