2022 Game 4: Temple

Get ready for some MACtion
ZooMass84
Senior

Re: 2022 Game 4: Temple

Post by ZooMass84 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:34 am

LouMass wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:24 am One issue I think the offense has is Campiotti holding onto the ball too much and not using his running backs enough. It looks to me like the line opens hole for the RB, and they go through untouched while Campiotti runs into a pileup.

If they want to have some designated QB runs why not spread everyone out and then run up the middle…like Temple did with Patterson, repeatedly for good gains.
He won't go through his progressions and neither will ZW.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:17 am

^^^ then we are completely screwed because it looks like Olson is lost. It seems like Gino throws the best on the run.. most of our plays are dives or jet sweeps... nothing off the edges. At this point give ZW or if Brady looks great in practice but not the games, a full week at practice at #1 and start them. If you start them, don't rotate, give one guy a bunch of plays. You have to see what the other guys got by giving them a full game. Nothing to lose at this point.
Last edited by TheInsider on Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:25 am

Defense looks to be coming along pretty well and improving weekly. It doesn't matter in the outcome b/c Offense is clearly still a work in process and we can't punt like a FBS program. 11 Penalties is completely unacceptable as is 38 yds/punt.

I don't necessarily mind the ground and pound approach but we need the Running Backs to run the rock - We have a nice backfield: Ellis, Baldwin, Adams - we need to use them much more effectively and we need to run more play action off of the running game.

On to EMU !!!

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:39 am

Anyone else see the short, seemingly heated exchange between Alex Miller and Casula late in the game? Miller looked pissed and walked away from him. Not good

Its yr 1, 4 games in, lets be realistic. Its gonna take DB a bit of time to get his pieces in place. Program was a mess under Bell. No team is going to fear our passing game if we rarely throw. We have enough talented RBs to run the ball, but you have to throw it too to keep teams honest. Brady is our best option to throw downfield, but how does anyone expect the kid to find any rhythm playing a down here and there. Merriweather and the rest of the RBs could shred teams if there was more balance. Put Campiotti at TE let him run after the catch, we don't need another RB.

Total faith in Don Brown, but no way he fixes the shitshow under Bell in yr 1. D already looks better, but we have to throw the ball to help the running game. Alex Miller has done a good job with the OLine but to expect them to run every down is a bit much.

Give things some time to get back on track. Can't wipe out years worth of nothing overnight
Time to Win

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:02 am

Floyd wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:39 am Anyone else see the short, seemingly heated exchange between Alex Miller and Casula late in the game? Miller looked pissed and walked away from him. Not good
I saw that also and liked it! Shows someone cares as Casula's looks lost and confused. Casula's had all spring ball and fall camp to install an offense, other run up the middle every play! Not one trick play that I remember so far this season. Temple has a terrible offense, continuing from last season, so I liked the first half but they made adjustments and UMass couldn't or didn't.

Ajmal
Junior

Post by Ajmal » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:32 am

Casula’s preseason interview about the quarterback room was all I needed to see to conclude we were in trouble. To lead by saying “they’re great kids” is a dead giveaway that it wasn’t good. To give each quarterback equal time was a dead giveaway that we had nobody. And THEN to spend the rest of the time saying that so-and-so can make every throw and so-and-so could play for any team in the country was just so insane.

The constant shuffling of quarterback has never worked and it’s definitely not working for us. I’d like to see Olson and then Campiotti as a Taysom Hill type if necessary.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:41 am

Ajmal wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:32 am Casula’s preseason interview about the quarterback room was all I needed to see to conclude we were in trouble. To lead by saying “they’re great kids” is a dead giveaway that it wasn’t good. To give each quarterback equal time was a dead giveaway that we had nobody. And THEN to spend the rest of the time saying that so-and-so can make every throw and so-and-so could play for any team in the country was just so insane.

The constant shuffling of quarterback has never worked and it’s definitely not working for us. I’d like to see Olson and then Campiotti as a Taysom Hill type if necessary.
My red flag with Casula's was when he was mic'd up and came across as a grab-ass assistant JV coach and not an FBS level O coordinator. I get it he was playing to the camera but still it gave me a red flag. I was hoping to be wrong but so far he's proven my intuition correct (darn!).

Cahoonaville
Senior

Post by Cahoonaville » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:04 am

DeeDeeBee wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:38 pm Brown is ultimately responsible but I've had enough of Steve Casula the OC.
That is what happens when you let a fat unathletic wannabe athlete call plays.
Alex Guerrero, my HERO!!!!

Cahoonaville
Senior

Post by Cahoonaville » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:07 am

km109 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:06 pm They're going to have to hope for a huge LGBTQ turnout on Pride Day against Liberty or they'll have a hard time matching the Stony Brook attendance.
Northampton is nearby after all.....just saying.
Alex Guerrero, my HERO!!!!

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:10 am

Cahoonaville wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:04 am
DeeDeeBee wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:38 pm Brown is ultimately responsible but I've had enough of Steve Casula the OC.
That is what happens when you let a fat unathletic wannabe athlete call plays.
You are so correct and I had those exact same thoughts!!! :lol:

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:36 pm

dennisdent wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:02 am
Floyd wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:39 am Anyone else see the short, seemingly heated exchange between Alex Miller and Casula late in the game? Miller looked pissed and walked away from him. Not good
I saw that also and liked it! Shows someone cares as Casula's looks lost and confused. Casula's had all spring ball and fall camp to install an offense, other run up the middle every play! Not one trick play that I remember so far this season. Temple has a terrible offense, continuing from last season, so I liked the first half but they made adjustments and UMass couldn't or didn't.
I was unable to watch. What was the context for the heated exchange? Alex Miller could be the OC for sure, IMO.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:04 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:36 pm
dennisdent wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:02 am
I was unable to watch. What was the context for the heated exchange? Alex Miller could be the OC for sure, IMO.
It was a third and five in 4th with Wise at QB. Wise threw a pass to no one and Miller caught the ball on the sideline. Watched it again and Casula's may have been talking to the receiver who screwed up and not to Miller. Even so Miller looked pissed off!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:23 am

Pick. A. Fucking. Quarterback.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:57 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:23 am Pick. A. Fucking. Quarterback.
a) ZW
b) Campiotti
c) Olsen
d) Garrett D
e) 52 year old Brett Favre and his legal woes

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:59 am

^^^^It's also Band Day for the Liberty game. That's another 3 to 4 thousand more!