2022 Game 3: vs Stony Brook

Get ready for some MACtion
Jack
Senior

Re: 2022 Game 3: vs Stony Brook

Post by Jack » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:02 pm

First of all they moved the student fanzone away from lot 11 good move. Secondly can they get any control over the DJ? Blasting Snoop Dogg when our offense is lined up calling audibles at the line of scrimmage is just dumb. Third, the team showed improvement on both sides. Tons of mistakes as others have correctly pointed out - but improvement in execution. Fourth, Coach B is starting to get this D dialed up despite some personnel issues that he can’t solve immediately. Fifth, Coach B clearly has the team’s attention and respect = not a lot of dumb plays or penalties. I doubt we see anything miraculous this season but Coach B is building a solid foundation for continuous weekly improvement. If we could just find the next Todd Bankhead …… Nice to get the win.

Calmass9
Junior

Post by Calmass9 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:10 pm

Solid performance overall. We weren't as good on D as the 3 points Stony Brook scored but we were a little better on offense than the 20 points we ended up with.

Getting Wooden back was absolutely massive for the defense, he creates so many problems in the middle and is consistently the only Dlinemen getting a push into the backfield on run plays. Him, Rudolph, and Mahoney are probably are 3 best defensive players right now. The linebacker core really lacks speed sideline to sideline and thats why we continue to see teams be able to get chunk yards when they run play action roll outs or outside QB runs off broken plays. Really hope we can address this in recruiting / transfers next year. Still, there was a lot of good today so I'm not going to complain too much.

I really really hope this was a game that Campiotti can build on and gain some confidence from. He made some real nice throws that I was not sure he was capable of making before today. Rico Arnold dropped a TD on a solidly thrown ball and Jaquan Gibson stopped running on Campiotti's best throw of the day that turned into a bizarre interception 40 yards downfield. Stony Brook was loading up hard on the run all 2nd half and were pretty effective with it so the passing game is going to have to be there next week if we want to beat a pretty bad Temple team.

Happy for Don and the players. They deserved this win today and were the better team. Time to build on this, there are winnable games out there starting next week.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:17 pm

Happy for the win but we will need to clean up the mistakes and play a lot better to stay with Temple on the road. They hung tough today with an OK Rutgers team and they are a few steps above Stony Brook. Campiotti was much better today but the receivers let him down at least twice, maybe 3 times on some of his best throws.

Let's have a good week of practice, figure out the punting situation and see if we can build off of today's performance.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:20 am

JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:04 pm How was attendance for the first home game of the season?
Oct 12th 2024 there will be a full house 20K strong as the 6-0 Minutemen take on Mizzou.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:37 am

Juice Stand wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:22 pm It would be nice to see them work on some things in the passing game and start to develop that. Playing an FCS at home is a good opportunity for that.
They got the passing game going early and it will pay dividends as this team goes forward. Really nice opening drive and 18yd TD pass, and that 40(ish) yard downfield throw that ended up as an interception was beautiful, just a drop by the receiver and right place right time for the defender. Gino only had 90 yards, but 10/15 is good enough to keep the defense honest.

Yesterday was my first football game in years, and I don't know if I'll be going back. Not without ear plugs anyway. The amplified music is way too loud and obnoxious. Let the band play for cryin' out loud.

Rolling Ridge
Junior

Post by Rolling Ridge » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:57 am

Jack wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:02 pm First of all they moved the student fanzone away from lot 11 good move. Secondly can they get any control over the DJ? Blasting Snoop Dogg when our offense is lined up calling audibles at the line of scrimmage is just dumb.
I just submitted my game day survey and said both of these things specifically. Couldn't believe they had music playing between plays when we were on offense! Ridiculous. Also added fixing the refs mics and posting in-game stats, at least by halftime! Moving the party really made tailgating in Lot 11 much nicer!

Otherwise, totally agree with your post. Lot's of improvement needed, but definite positive signs.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:09 am

stevemaz wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:20 am
JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:04 pm How was attendance for the first home game of the season?
Oct 12th 2024 there will be a full house 20K strong as the 6-0 Minutemen take on Mizzou.
full house 30K strong: you forgot the stadium expansion

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:27 am

Gino should have been 13-15 with another 60 or so yards.. proved a lot with his arm

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:14 am

Mahoney had a nice game, besides the pick six. Kid attacks and hits. Need the aggression on our tackling. Thats one thing I noticed that the Toledo D did well, they were aggressive and hit, no arm tackling. We were better yesterday, great to get the win and gain some confidence. Great to see Billy Wooden out there and Bradley seemed more active and made some plays.
Keep building off this win, . I agree with a previous post about needing to get out to the edge a little quicker on D, but overall I thought they were much better.
Time to Win

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:28 am

Would like to see us run to the edge a little more.. the read option dives don't really provide explosive plays..

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:12 am

Jack wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:02 pm …..Secondly can they get any control over the DJ? Blasting Snoop Dogg when our offense is lined up calling audibles at the line of scrimmage is just dumb.
EXACTLY!

Throw in the band playing and it is extremely annoying!! Was sure if I was showing my age or if was totally unaware of what happens at college football games!! After having gone faithfully since graduation 😁 Was contemplogoing to another schools game just to have something to compare to yesterday’s “Noisefest”

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:14 am

^ I just returned my "stadium satisfaction" email received this morning. One of my three comments at the end - about stadium operations - was about playing that crappy canned music while the teams are in the huddle and at the line really making us look bush league! They don't cut it off until a nano-second before the snap. Terrible!
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:36 am

Old Cage wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:14 am ^ I just returned my "stadium satisfaction" email received this morning. One of my three comments at the end - about stadium operations - was about playing that crappy canned music while the teams are in the huddle and at the line really making us look bush league! They don't cut it off until a nano-second before the snap. Terrible!

Those of you with Twitter accounts let Swamy/Bamford and UMass Football hear your issue with the music. I will almost guarantee that they will listen and hopefully make changes.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:47 am

From my view in front of the TV, it looked like the home side of the field was about 80-90% full while the always side was about 80-90% empty.

On another note, the only mention of the game in today’s Springfield paper was a score under ‘Area Schedule’ that read:
UMass 20 Stony Brook
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:21 am

The attendance was 10,011. LS71, there are several hundreds in the Hunt Hospital Suit Patio include some inside and some chose to stand by the field fence. Don't recall if people where in the south end as well.
Go UMass!!