Toledo Game

Get ready for some MACtion
kdogg8173
Senior

Re: Toledo Game

Post by kdogg8173 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:49 am

Worcester_To_Amherst wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:51 am As terrible as these 2 games were I have seen some improvements from last year. The front 7 is certainly better. If they were able to execute on 2-3 missed tackles in the backfield where the play call had the QB dead to rights, everyone would probably be feeling better about the state of the team. Now if they keep missing those tackles all year then it won't matter and that will be a test of Brown's coaching.
As bad as the scores look, I would agree on the defense at least. The defense' yards per play are the lowest since 2017. Combine that with the fact they have to run out there every couple minutes in bad field position gives me a little hope on that side of the ball

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:56 am

^ ^ I'm sorry, but I don't see any provable correlation between the ranking of the school with any action of the football team. Seems to me to be a total red herring.

If we had any margin of success, maybe you could lean in a little with your argument, but "total disaster = serious academic improvement" does not fly.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:29 pm

ZooMass84 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:48 am
are you sure you mean the LSAT? yes it would one of the Logical Reasoning questions.

Your “straw man argument” applies because of the definition:

A straw man is a form of argument and an informal fallacy of having the impression of refuting an argument, whereas the real subject of the argument was not addressed or refuted, but instead replaced with a false one. One who engages in this fallacy is said to be "attacking a straw man". Wikipedia

In 2022 the UMass Football team has been in FBS for many years now. It wasn't a canned response. You have a weird agenda that is equivalent to yelling "fire" in a crowded theatre. This message board is for supporting the football team, as bad as they are. Your fallacy is in maintaining the move should not have been made, when it is now ancient history. You are trying to refute the basis for the move when it is a moot point. It's done, live with it.You could have made the same argument for reinstating the Men's Hockey team (which sucked until they won the National Championship).
And what is a weird correlation and causality about population and academics when it is a fact? We have our highest ranking in USNWR ever and we were ranked 106 in 2010 prior to the move up.
My brain hurts after trying to follow this.
Old Cage wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:56 am ^ ^ I'm sorry, but I don't see any provable correlation between the ranking of the school with any action of the football team. Seems to me to be a total red herring.

If we had any margin of success, maybe you could lean in a little with your argument, but "total disaster = serious academic improvement" does not fly.
He is presenting a unique business model to be sure.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:38 pm

This is hilarious to me. Twisting himself into a pretzel trying to define what a straw man argument is when one was never made, just a simple question in response to a statement "why?". And hey, if our academic standing continues to rise as the football team gets worse, let's keep tanking!

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:43 pm

Old Cage wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:56 am ^ ^ I'm sorry, but I don't see any provable correlation between the ranking of the school with any action of the football team. Seems to me to be a total red herring.

The correlation is moving up in USNWR rankings from #106 in 2010 to #67 in 2022 and the move up to FBS which was announced in 2010.

I know "total disaster" is the football team but the quantum leap to FBS is what is the cause and effect to "serious academic improvement". Everyone here on this board and the UMass 247 board wants us to win. Only a couple posters basically heckle the supporters. That's what the other guy is doing: heckling and asking dumb questions 10 years after the decision to move up was made. It's equivalent to saying Obamacare is a failed policy. whether it is or not, it's here and we have to live with it. He's essentially saying the Social Security Act was a mistake; it's a dumb argument because whether Social Security is bankrupt is a non starter. It's been part of the US for almost 100 years.

Worcester_To_Amherst
Senior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:12 pm

kdogg8173 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:49 am
Worcester_To_Amherst wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:51 am As terrible as these 2 games were I have seen some improvements from last year. The front 7 is certainly better. If they were able to execute on 2-3 missed tackles in the backfield where the play call had the QB dead to rights, everyone would probably be feeling better about the state of the team. Now if they keep missing those tackles all year then it won't matter and that will be a test of Brown's coaching.
As bad as the scores look, I would agree on the defense at least. The defense' yards per play are the lowest since 2017. Combine that with the fact they have to run out there every couple minutes in bad field position gives me a little hope on that side of the ball
I can remember Cole McCubrey being the starting MLB looking like Rudy out there. The defensive backfield has been rough giving up big plays and lots of pass interference (although some of those were tough calls) so I'd consider them a disappointment. But the front 7 has been fine if you take away the blown opportunities for sacks. The Toledo and Tulane QBs were strong and mobile, so hopefully those turn into big plays against lesser competition. Cushnie needs to start closing some plays out.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:25 pm

Juice Stand wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:38 pm This is hilarious to me. Twisting himself into a pretzel trying to define what a straw man argument is when one was never made, just a simple question in response to a statement "why?". And hey, if our academic standing continues to rise as the football team gets worse, let's keep tanking!
Yeah I guess law school kicked in when some idiot posters heckle the board. He yells "fire" in a crowded theatre then loves the reaction.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:16 pm

Wonderful education and expanded research $$'s are the engines of UMass ratings growth, FBS football is the raggedy wheeled caboose, trying to slow or pull the UMass' rep down.

The average UMass entering first-year student has over a 4.0 overage this year!!! How many of them will grace the stadium at any point this season? Think they come due to sports or athletics? Check the crowds in attendance for any of the major sports.

And, where in the US News ranking 'system' is football part of their rating?

BTW, BU is ranked approximately 41 this year as a national university - football is loooong gone from there. And many of the top schools are FCS or even D3.

Check out the Top national universities, only 2 of the Top 10 even play FBS football - Stanford and Duke.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/ra ... iversities
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:27 pm

JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:51 am Why?

ZooMass84 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:43 pm He's essentially saying the Social Security Act was a mistake;
That progression in thought is some truly mind bending shit. Absolutely wild.

Oh, and don’t forget the “heckling.”

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:21 pm

ZooMass84 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:56 am
bunkerhill87 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:55 am tough spot all around. I agree you cannot go back but the perception and publicity of UMass football is a complete embarrassment. Several schools that made the jump have made huge strides. We have regressed. Hard to recruit any higher end player to any Northeast school. We will never be relavent on a national stage ever. Cards are stacked against us w/ the super conferences. Our hope is be in some lame bowl game at some point. I get the money but other than the huge payout to get slaughtered by power 5 conference seems we are destined for the bottom. Maybe thats good enough to offset the negative
Google and read "UMass football crosses the Rubicon". It was written 10 years ago but totally applicable today. The money the football "program" brings in is many times the old 1AA days. You are correct that we have regressed. If we were still in the CAA we would be winless. Unfortunately we are at the bottom end of NEC, MEAC, and SWAC schools. There is a small chance we will get one or two wins this year and most likely NMSU but not Stony Brook. I wish we get our first win Saturday but I think it will be Stony Brook 34 - 10.
The defensive front seven for Umass is going to be able to contain the running game for Stony Brook. That is all they have. The UMass OL will push the Stony Brook defense around. 4 yards a carry, I predict. There will be almost no passes from either side. It will be like early 1990s style UMass football.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:08 pm

Just win
Time to Win

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:29 pm

JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:27 pm
JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:51 am Why?

ZooMass84 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:43 pm He's essentially saying the Social Security Act was a mistake;
That progression in thought is some truly mind bending shit. Absolutely wild.

Oh, and don’t forget the “heckling.”
why are you even posting on this board? You are a fool.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:35 pm

econalum wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:16 pm Wonderful education and expanded research $$'s are the engines of UMass ratings growth, FBS football is the raggedy wheeled caboose, trying to slow or pull the UMass' rep down.

The average UMass entering first-year student has over a 4.0 overage this year!!! How many of them will grace the stadium at any point this season? Think they come due to sports or athletics? Check the crowds in attendance for any of the major sports.

BTW, BU is ranked approximately 41 this year as a national university - football is loooong gone from there. And many of the top schools are FCS or even D3.

Check out the Top national universities, only 2 of the Top 10 even play FBS football - Stanford and Duke.

You and I have had this discussion for years. Look at the USNWR Top 70 National Universities that are public universities: almost all of them play FBS. The exception is Cal-Irvine or something. Don't bring up BU or Northeastern; private colleges with FCS football in urban areas. There's no comparison to UMass.

And look at the fans for the Umass hockey team: it's sold out.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:02 pm

econalum wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:16 pm Wonderful education and expanded research $$'s are the engines of UMass ratings growth, FBS football is the raggedy wheeled caboose, trying to slow or pull the UMass' rep down.

You are cherry-picking your argument, you need to compare apples to apples: flagship state universities to flagship state universities. But why are you so against UMass FBS football? It's a done deal; it's been 11 years with countless millions spent on stadium upgrades, an indoor practice facility, a football budget many times the FCS level: all for a pitiful team that gets blown out week in, week out. And yes, an occasional win.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:00 am

ZooMass84 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:35 pmAnd look at the fans for the Umass hockey team: it's sold out.
Our hockey averaged 4,306 last year, 51% of capacity. The first round game of the Hockey East playoffs last year (before the tourney moves to the Garden) drew a massive 2,422.
Last edited by Old Cage on Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."