Toledo Game

Get ready for some MACtion
dennisdent
Senior

Re: Toledo Game

Post by dennisdent » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:06 am

Old Cage wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:00 am
ZooMass84 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:35 pmAnd look at the fans for the Umass hockey team: it's sold out.
Our hockey averaged 4,306 last year, 51% of capacity.
I think that Covid thingy had a lot to do with those numbers last season. Of course saying "sold out" is a stretch. Don't want to hijack this thread of course...

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:29 am

Let's support the football team. Yes, they suck and outside of Whip's 2017 and 2018 teams they have been a basket case. It's no fun for anybody, not even the coaches who are getting paid. Nobody wants to lose. The kids go out there and try. Yes they are on scholarship and maybe NIL deals (???) Fact is we went FBS and it's done. It sucks that little colleges the size of community colleges like Coastal Carolina are winning and we're not. Maybe we win Saturday maybe we don't. The NMSU game is the winnable one. They are another basket case FBS program that is worse than almost all FCS teams just like us. Please no morons asking why we went FBS. It's been 11 years. It just reinforces the ZooMass impression/stigma and back in the day when I went to UMass nobody wanted to go here, it was just a safety school and their 5th choice. Today we are the USNWR #67 tied with UConn and Texas A&M.

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:41 am

ZooMass84 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:29 am It just reinforces the ZooMass impression/stigma …
..wrote ZooMass84

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:46 am

JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:41 am
ZooMass84 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:29 am It just reinforces the ZooMass impression/stigma …
..wrote ZooMass84
You are as dumb as your screen name.........

photoman
Senior

Post by photoman » Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:09 pm

Old Cage wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:56 am ^ ^ I'm sorry, but I don't see any provable correlation between the ranking of the school with any action of the football team. Seems to me to be a total red herring.

If we had any margin of success, maybe you could lean in a little with your argument, but "total disaster = serious academic improvement" does not fly.
I enjoy watching football. I suppose having some "hope" for tomorrow is one step better than UMass dropping football, but I'll agree that FBS football has absolutely NOTHING to do with the rise of UMass academically. There's virtually zero interest in UMass football right now.

UMass'96
Senior
Location: Back in the good 'ole US of A not some 3rd world shithole

Post by UMass'96 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:19 pm

It's all about brand recognition. Doesn't matter the results on the field. The UMass brand is out there an in the spot light... When choosing where to go to school, a brand name is often preferred over a little known school. and with a bit of research, the UMass brand offers an incredible academic opportunity. Same reason why brand name clothes sell better than generic... even with lesser quality at times.
Save your breath... you'll need it to blow up your date

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:04 pm

UMass'96 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:19 pm It's all about brand recognition. Doesn't matter the results on the field. The UMass brand is out there an in the spot light... When choosing where to go to school, a brand name is often preferred over a little known school. and with a bit of research, the UMass brand offers an incredible academic opportunity. Same reason why brand name clothes sell better than generic... even with lesser quality at times.
Is it good for the brand that on espn's bottom line you see team x 42 umass 10, 12 Saturday's a year?

Sure the profile is raising because of some great research that is being done that is attracting great students. My question is since this football team has been so bad, are the alums who are in their late 30's early 40's going to be big-time donors? Even if they start winning have the last 11 years turned people off from caring and finding other things to do with their money?
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:33 pm

After the hoops dismal run in the late 70's early 80's people came back once they started winning again. Starts at the top with a great coach who I believe fits UMass well, and it takes time to right the ship.

If we're in the same spot 4-5 yrs from now, maybe theres an arguement, but athletics are a big part of the college atmosphere.
Time to Win

Sheck
Hall of Fame

Post by Sheck » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:20 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:04 pm
UMass'96 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:19 pm It's all about brand recognition. Doesn't matter the results on the field. The UMass brand is out there an in the spot light... When choosing where to go to school, a brand name is often preferred over a little known school. and with a bit of research, the UMass brand offers an incredible academic opportunity. Same reason why brand name clothes sell better than generic... even with lesser quality at times.
Is it good for the brand that on espn's bottom line you see team x 42 umass 10, 12 Saturday's a year?

Sure the profile is raising because of some great research that is being done that is attracting great students. My question is since this football team has been so bad, are the alums who are in their late 30's early 40's going to be big-time donors? Even if they start winning have the last 11 years turned people off from caring and finding other things to do with their money?
I'm in this age bracket and when I was a student very few cared about the winning football program we had then. Winning 7 or 8 games and going to the Camellia Bowl isn't going to move the needle much and that's the ceiling for this program.

Not saying that UMass should drop football or move back to FCS, but this program is definitely between a rock and a hard place competing as an FBS independent and playing in a substandard stadium.
#maction 🚩#flagship

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:24 am

^

I think you really undersell what the turnout would be if we were at 7-8 wins a year. I agree about the bowl part, but students (and general fans) would absolutely turn out in droves for a WMass FBS team winning 7-8 games a year.

And since we are talking about that age bracket, I know a shit ton of students cared during the 05-07 seasons. That timeframe includes two games that likely set attendance records.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:41 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:24 am And since we are talking about that age bracket, I know a shit ton of students cared during the 05-07 seasons. That timeframe includes two games that likely set attendance records.
True, but doesn't that perhaps support the point that a successful 1AA program is a more realistic and better fit for the school?

DrG
Senior

Post by DrG » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:41 am

^ Point well taken, although it still doesn't address the fact that FCS football is a huge money loser because the revenue is negligible, as opposed to the seven-figure payouts we're receiving for getting annihilated by P5 schools. If we went back to FCS, then it would be what it used to be: a loss leader aimed at attracting alumni back to Amherst for a few days in the fall. I am still somewhat conflicted on the issue, though I would concede that if you look at the direction big-time college football is heading in, we will never come close to sniffing that party. I will say that I am happy we are scheduling Army every year, both from a competitive and geographical standpoint.

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:44 am

DrG wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:41 am ^ Point well taken, although it still doesn't address the fact that FCS football is a huge money loser because the revenue is negligible, as opposed to the seven-figure payouts we're receiving for getting annihilated by P5 schools. If we went back to FCS, then it would be what it used to be: a loss leader aimed at attracting alumni back to Amherst for a few days in the fall. I am still somewhat conflicted on the issue, though I would concede that if you look at the direction big-time college football is heading in, we will never come close to sniffing that party. I will say that I am happy we are scheduling Army every year, both from a competitive and geographical standpoint.
I too like playing Army. Service academy football is my favorite to watch. I don’t know what scenarios look like under FCS but the numbers I’ve seen for 2019-2020 show $4.6m in revenue and $10.1m in expenses for the football program. There very well could be other parts of the overall athletic department budget - both costs and revenue- demonstrating a different actual picture, but that doesn’t SEEM great.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:16 pm

ZooMass84 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:46 am
JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:41 am
..wrote ZooMass84
You are as dumb as your screen name.........
Wow - greatest exchange on this board - maybe EVER!

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:49 pm

JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:41 am
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:24 am And since we are talking about that age bracket, I know a shit ton of students cared during the 05-07 seasons. That timeframe includes two games that likely set attendance records.
True, but doesn't that perhaps support the point that a successful 1AA program is a more realistic and better fit for the school?
A horrid FBS team had the same attendance numbers as those awesome FCS teams for a few years at the start of this journey.