tulane game

Get ready for some MACtion
ZooMass84
Senior

Re: tulane game

Post by ZooMass84 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:33 pm

Quann wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:08 pm Did people really think we’d win or be close in this game? Calm down guys. Walt Bell destroyed this program, it’s not going to recover overnight. A cover would have been all I could hope for but it’s game 1. I just want to see gradual improvement each week. Walt’s teams always got worse as the year went on.
Of course Walt Bell destroyed this program.....I called him Molnar 2.0 on the other board after the SIU loss. I was called hasty and judgmental. Then I called him Gomer etc. DB is clearly an experienced head coach and defense coordinator at the FBS and FCS levels. What bothers me is our 42-10 loss was identical to the last 3 years scores. The players clearly treated Bell like a kid (and he sort of looked like a kid). At least Charley Molnar had some close games 2012 and 2013 (along with a ton of blowouts). He is now running backs coach at an NAIA school in New Mexico. At some point we have to do more than just cover, we have to win. We can't have 17 total passing yards again. We have the easiest schedule in FBS. It doesn't get much more favorable. Temple was 3-9, Tulane was 2-10, NMSU, UConn and Arkansas State were either 1-11 or 2-10.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:45 pm

stevemaz wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:18 pm The game was much closer than the score indicated.
Three turnovers are what did them in. If they were able to run the ball, kill the clock, and score 6 more points the game would’ve been like 31-16. That seemed to be the plan. The turnovers gave three short fields. They will get better. I know that is a lot of “ifs”. They are, however, the “ifs” that usually are gimmes with DB teams. Limit turnovers and control time of possession are what tries to do. That is his as well as every other coach’s recipe. He has been good at getting it done in the past.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:12 pm

ZooMass84 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:33 pm
Quann wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:08 pm Did people really think we’d win or be close in this game? Calm down guys. Walt Bell destroyed this program, it’s not going to recover overnight. A cover would have been all I could hope for but it’s game 1. I just want to see gradual improvement each week. Walt’s teams always got worse as the year went on.
Of course Walt Bell destroyed this program.....I called him Molnar 2.0 on the other board after the SIU loss. I was called hasty and judgmental. Then I called him Gomer etc. DB is clearly an experienced head coach and defense coordinator at the FBS and FCS levels. What bothers me is our 42-10 loss was identical to the last 3 years scores. The players clearly treated Bell like a kid (and he sort of looked like a kid). At least Charley Molnar had some close games 2012 and 2013 (along with a ton of blowouts). He is now running backs coach at an NAIA school in New Mexico. At some point we have to do more than just cover, we have to win. We can't have 17 total passing yards again. We have the easiest schedule in FBS. It doesn't get much more favorable. Temple was 3-9, Tulane was 2-10, NMSU, UConn and Arkansas State were either 1-11 or 2-10.
Patience grasshopper, patience. Brown knows what he's doing, same as Carvel did with building the hockey program. As we said in one of my former careers: crawl, walk, run. Bell did the reverse, started with the run (hurry-up O), walk (bring in Miller), crawl (his dumb ass being fired and crawling out of Amherst). :D :D :D

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:51 am

minutefanjsf wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:45 pm
stevemaz wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:18 pm The game was much closer than the score indicated.
Three turnovers are what did them in. If they were able to run the ball, kill the clock, and score 6 more points the game would’ve been like 31-16. That seemed to be the plan. The turnovers gave three short fields. They will get better. I know that is a lot of “ifs”. They are, however, the “ifs” that usually are gimmes with DB teams. Limit turnovers and control time of possession are what tries to do. That is his as well as every other coach’s recipe. He has been good at getting it done in the past.
The defense also missed two sacks they should of had, which would have ended two Tulane scoring drives. That said, the passing offense needs to improve to point where we have balanced attack (200 yds rushing/150 yards passing at least). It is too bad Campiotti may not be able to be an effective passing QB, because he is a handful in the running game.

photoman
Senior

Post by photoman » Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:39 am

Had about 24 plays gone better for us that could've been a win....
Which is about as valid as "it was much closer than the score indicated". No it wasn't.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:01 am

photoman wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:39 am Had about 24 plays gone better for us that could've been a win....
Which is about as valid as "it was much closer than the score indicated". No it wasn't.
you obviously didnt watch the game. You cant whiff on easy sacks, you cant throw easy pics to set up short field, and you cant punt horrifically setting up short fields. Those are all things that can be corrected.

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:17 am

^ I think that the intercepted passes were a result of the design of the play and unless the passing plays are restructured, the only option is to hold the ball, reducing the amount of pass attempts and just become a Wishbone team! No one has seen that, so they won’t know how to defend it.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:44 am

I don't know.. the first on was thrown late and to the inside.. terrible throw and the second was about 10 yards under thrown.. also terrible

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:46 pm

The first interception was a ball that shouldn't have been thrown by any means. I'm sure the play design wasn't "throw here at all costs" - could have very easily been "your first read is here, then progress or run" and he didn't even bother to progress and just threw the ball, despite the defender being in the perfect position the entire time.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:21 pm

TruBluMaroon wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:17 am ^ the only option is to hold the ball, reducing the amount of pass attempts and just become a Wishbone team! No one has seen that, so they won’t know how to defend it.
TruBlu, why not try to use Wise and run a single wing. :lol: put him out there with Merriweather, Adams, and Baldwin. You could option out of it, throw on the rollout, or give it to one of those big boys. Whoa Nellie!!
Time to Win

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:02 pm

Floyd wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:21 pm
TruBluMaroon wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:17 am ^ the only option is to hold the ball, reducing the amount of pass attempts and just become a Wishbone team! No one has seen that, so they won’t know how to defend it.
TruBlu, why not try to use Wise and run a single wing. :lol: put him out there with Merriweather, Adams, and Baldwin. You could option out of it, throw on the rollout, or give it to one of those big boys. Whoa Nellie!!
Because….You Can’t Stop The Bone!!! During an earlier life when I worked in the college world, I watched a team that ran the Wishbone and got about 4 yards every carry😁

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:45 pm

photoman wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:39 am Had about 24 plays gone better for us that could've been a win....
Actually it is five plays that were referenced. Two missed sacks and three picks.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:50 pm

Most of the reactions in this thread are insane. Charley Molnar and Walt Bell destroyed of lot of people's brains. Let's get back to reason and start to root for slow improvement as the season goes on.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:42 pm

If you went to ZooMass, it could have been a lot of things that destroyed people's brains 8)

Just sayin'.
Time to Win

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:25 pm

Tulane beats KSU 17-10