tulane game

Get ready for some MACtion
TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Re: tulane game

Post by TruBluMaroon » Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:17 pm

ZooMass84 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:03 pm 17 yards passing between 2 QB’s for the game!!! Can someone explain me that?
Would have thought that they would be a perfect opportunity to use some of DB’s other three (3) First String QB’s……😁

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:46 pm

ZooMass84 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:15 pm
stevemaz wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:54 pm
ZooMass84 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:07 pm Other than the second half of 2017 when we won 4 of 6, this “FBS football” thing has been a debacle. I’m sorry I’m trying to stay positive but what is the point of this other than make the school money and give coaches a job?
I guess we should forget that the rise in the Public School rankings conicided with the move to FBS football? Yes, its about money...
SteveMaz and Floyd, I am total agreement that FBS and the big increase in USNWR rankings etc go hand in hand. Just google "UMass football crosses the rubicon" and you'll know what I am talking about. I'm just getting a little tired of the same 32 point losses (at least no shutout) and it's 2019 - 2021 again. Yeah we MIGHT get one or two wins this year.......probably one and it might not be over Stony Brook. I'm sorry, Don Brown is about as experienced a head coach as you are going to get before he's over the hill (can't physically do the job/call plays from the booth like Papa Joe at the end). Hoping for the best. We need a QB who can throw a football. Unless we are settling on the "game manager/Peyton Manning" type. I'm still going to donate $500 per win to the Gridiron Club for every win but realistically until we have Jonathan Taylor or Najee Harris or Derrick Henry in the backfield, we're screwed.
I hear ya, believe me no one likes getting blown out. All I'm saying is let DB and staff have an opportunity to turn things around. Can't be easy turning around the bottom ranked team, especially year 1. Need a few recruiting cycles, a few big signings, and development of these kids which won't happen overnight. It would be a shame if a school like UMass gave up its football program. If its like this 3 yrs from now I might think differently, but DB seems to be a great fit here and deserves the time to turn it around.
Time to Win

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:11 pm

Floyd wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:46 pm
ZooMass84 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:15 pm
stevemaz wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:54 pm

I guess we should forget that the rise in the Public School rankings conicided with the move to FBS football? Yes, its about money...
SteveMaz and Floyd, I am total agreement that FBS and the big increase in USNWR rankings etc go hand in hand. Just google "UMass football crosses the rubicon" and you'll know what I am talking about. I'm just getting a little tired of the same 32 point losses (at least no shutout) and it's 2019 - 2021 again. Yeah we MIGHT get one or two wins this year.......probably one and it might not be over Stony Brook. I'm sorry, Don Brown is about as experienced a head coach as you are going to get before he's over the hill (can't physically do the job/call plays from the booth like Papa Joe at the end). Hoping for the best. We need a QB who can throw a football. Unless we are settling on the "game manager/Peyton Manning" type. I'm still going to donate $500 per win to the Gridiron Club for every win but realistically until we have Jonathan Taylor or Najee Harris or Derrick Henry in the backfield, we're screwed.
I hear ya, believe me no one likes getting blown out. All I'm saying is let DB and staff have an opportunity to turn things around. Can't be easy turning around the bottom ranked team, especially year 1. Need a few recruiting cycles, a few big signings, and development of these kids which won't happen overnight. It would be a shame if a school like UMass gave up its football program. If its like this 3 yrs from now I might think differently, but DB seems to be a great fit here and deserves the time to turn it around.
Agree Floyd. The transition was completely screwed from BEFORE the decision was even made. K Mo then Molnar destroyed an elite FCS program. Whip was not able to/refused to recruit defense, and Bell was clueless. That is 10 years of poop sandwich. The facilities have been vastly improved and the crowds/sold tickets are not far off from the height of the FCS era (strange I know). DB has a full roster, no idea if they are FBS quality. With the cap on counters lifted and the portal, DB should be able to put something together. Fingers crossed.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:47 am

Gotta pick a QB. Either go with Brady and run an offense that suits him, or go with Gino and run the option offense. This back and forth isn't good for the program or the individual QBs.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

kdogg8173
Senior

Post by kdogg8173 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:12 am

Agreed. I'd stick with Olson because I think his ceiling is higher but it's going to be a long year under center regardless. Maybe use Campiotti in a Taysom Hill like package of plays but I just don't see him as a viable full time starter.

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:17 am

Things will be fine. The OL and running game looked much improved. Just need to improve the passing game and run some play action. Looking forward to seeing the improvement as we move forward. Onto Toledo !!!!

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:35 am

We should expect improvement in the offense going forward but we really need a legitimate D1 QB.
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:24 am

We have a legit D1 QB.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:35 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:24 am We have a legit D1 QB.
Not trying to be a jerk, but is it Brady or Campiotti? I really can't tell based on last year's results or this year's game 1.
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:52 pm

m626t wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:35 pm
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:24 am We have a legit D1 QB.
Not trying to be a jerk, but is it Brady or Campiotti? I really can't tell based on last year's results or this year's game 1.

I believe Brady is a legit D1 QB. I am not yet sure if Gino is, but I lean towards yes.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:55 pm

Anyone have any info on how Wise looks?
Time to Win

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:58 pm

Floyd wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:55 pm Anyone have any info on how Wise looks?
DB had him listed last week as a co #1 with both qb’s who played 😁

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:08 pm

All 3 of them can run, some better than the others, but I want to see somebody who looks like they know how to pass and run the offense.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:08 pm

Did people really think we’d win or be close in this game? Calm down guys. Walt Bell destroyed this program, it’s not going to recover overnight. A cover would have been all I could hope for but it’s game 1. I just want to see gradual improvement each week. Walt’s teams always got worse as the year went on.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:18 pm

The game was much closer than the score indicated.