2022 Season

Get ready for some MACtion
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Re: 2022 Season

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:33 am

pk77 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:26 am i am sorry , but you are still masking the real problem... it's talent...

I didn't mask anything. I very specifically stated the talent needs to be upgraded. First sentence.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:17 am

pk77 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:26 am
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:10 am
pk77 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:10 am All you people are blaming the offensive coach, did you ever think that the talent he has is absolutely horrible.

I do not think the talent is "absolutely horrible" but I recognize it needs an upgrade. Based on reading this board every day, I believe most here feel this same way. I think most also recognize that the coaching the last year stunted the growth of many, especially one at the position we're most pointing to here.

The issue with the OC is not working around his player's deficiencies and calling plays to their strengths. It has taken until the 9th and 10th games for this to finally occur. I get wanting to install your scheme and style, but you can do that while also including things that help put your players in positions where they, and the team, can succeed or at least be competitive.

The unwillingness (or maybe inability) of the OC to adjust sooner when it was clear adjustments needed to be made is a major concern in my book.
i am sorry , but you are still masking the real problem... it's talent... also in game 10 we had only 55 yards passing... and don't tell me that Texas A+M is a good team, they had lost their last 6 games and have just one win in their league. I am not saying that Texas A+M would be an easy game, but 55 yards passing including after the catch runs is not coaching. I also think half those yards were on one play where the receiver tripped over his own feet.

Think about it would you send your son to play for Umass if you had any other choices ? Our program is on the slide and is the worst team in Division 1 two years in a row, kids like playing for a winning team and we have not been winning for so many years and we don't even have a good nucleous to build on. I ask, how many more years do you think till we win more games than we lose ?

Yea but we are not as Worst as last year so there is hope ..... Haven't you heard?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:42 am

"We have a critical 3rd and short. Better bring in Campiotti! Wait...how did they know he was going to run it instead of passing?"

That's not a talent issue.

Sure, there is also a talent issue, but that's just abhorrent play calling that's happened over and over again and killed off drives.

Camby4Life
Senior

Post by Camby4Life » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:46 am

It’s a combination of lack of talent and an awful offensive game plan. We still haven’t even gotten a consensus on here of what Casula is trying to accomplish with this offense. The pre snap motions and moving around never accomplish anything that the defense has to worry about. The third down play calls have been brutal. Overall, the offense is a complete shit show.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:49 am

e_parade wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:42 am "We have a critical 3rd and short. Better bring in Campiotti! Wait...how did they know he was going to run it instead of passing?"

That's not a talent issue.

Sure, there is also a talent issue, but that's just abhorrent play calling that's happened over and over again and killed off drives.
It could be looked at as a an insane amount of trust and unwillingness to see the talent disparity between UMass and the opponents. They obviously think even with the play being known they can and will execute it. Chutzpah or stupidity or a combination of both?

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:16 am

Camby and IV have stated it correctly it's a combo of below average talent and horrible offensive coaching. It's tough to overcome bad coaching on offense though, no matter the talent you have. A good coach with mediocre to below average talent can still move the ball and score some points.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:31 am

From the other thread... another example is the goal line offense. It was a complete clusterfuck without any plays under center against Arkansas State. One would think they'd make an adjustment and install something... opportunity comes up against A&M and what did they do? Some Jr. Walker & The All-Stars shit AGAIN.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

pk77
Sophomore

Post by pk77 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:56 pm

Saying that Casula sucks, doesn't say much about Don Brown as he hired him. Did you ever think of the possibility that Don Brown told Casula we need the offense to eat clock time so that the defense spends less time on the field and reduce the amount of time the opponents have the ball so that they can't put as many points on the board ! That was DB strategy right out of the gate. Lets see if DB fires Casula, i don't think so, as that is what the game plan was, eat clock time and make our losses a lot smaller.

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:33 pm

So you think the strategy was "eat up the clock and then become extremely predictable so we can't convert on 3rd and short or score touchdowns" there? Converting first downs is a far more effective way to eat the clock than not.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:35 pm

pk77 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:56 pm Saying that Casula sucks, doesn't say much about Don Brown as he hired him. Did you ever think of the possibility that Don Brown told Casula we need the offense to eat clock time so that the defense spends less time on the field and reduce the amount of time the opponents have the ball so that they can't put as many points on the board ! That was DB strategy right out of the gate. Lets see if DB fires Casula, i don't think so, as that is what the game plan was, eat clock time and make our losses a lot smaller.
I have a feeling DB gets rid of Casula. The only positive thing about UMass football is that we are FBS. You're going to get players and coaches who will take a chance on the shittiest program in FBS than a great one in FCS or lower. FBS has all the visibility. I don't know; if players were paid $1,000 to catch a pass or $100 per yard gained on the ground would that bring in talent? Answer is YES.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:50 pm

Took some time off couldn't stand morons like Dumb User Name. It's obvious from the close losing scores that the kids are at least trying. It would be very easy to just give up. Ark State lost by 2 and A&M wasn't a blowout. maybe they played their JV after the 1st half. Games are a hell of lot closer than the Bell debacle.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:51 pm

pk77 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:56 pm Saying that Casula sucks, doesn't say much about Don Brown as he hired him. Did you ever think of the possibility that Don Brown told Casula we need the offense to eat clock time so that the defense spends less time on the field and reduce the amount of time the opponents have the ball so that they can't put as many points on the board ! That was DB strategy right out of the gate. Lets see if DB fires Casula, i don't think so, as that is what the game plan was, eat clock time and make our losses a lot smaller.
it's possible DB know how pitiful Casula was when he hired him.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:28 pm

Or DB had to scramble to find a guy.. Casula was a respected offensive analyst for a very good Michigan offense, and when he was a OC.. his teams put up a bunch of points.. not sure how this is DB fault. It will be his fault if he doesn't fix the situation.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:03 pm

TheInsider wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:28 pm Or DB had to scramble to find a guy.. Casula was a respected offensive analyst for a very good Michigan offense, and when he was a OC.. his teams put up a bunch of points.. not sure how this is DB fault. It will be his fault if he doesn't fix the situation.
Not going to lie: I thought UConn F*-ed up when they hired Mora Jr., but they are going to a bowl and we have another pitiful season. In DB We Trust!!!

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:25 pm

ZooMass84 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:03 pm
TheInsider wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:28 pm Or DB had to scramble to find a guy.. Casula was a respected offensive analyst for a very good Michigan offense, and when he was a OC.. his teams put up a bunch of points.. not sure how this is DB fault. It will be his fault if he doesn't fix the situation.
Not going to lie: I thought UConn F*-ed up when they hired Mora Jr., but they are going to a bowl and we have another pitiful season. In DB We Trust!!!
UConn has a lot more talent than UMass. UMass beat them mainly due to horrible coaching on their side and dumb luck with Covid.