FROM OUT OF THE ASHES A GREAT PHOENIX WILL RISE

Get ready for some MACtion
minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Re: FROM OUT OF THE ASHES A GREAT PHOENIX WILL RISE

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:04 pm

dennisdent wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:48 am ^Checked the schedule from 2011, the last year as an FCS program and none of the losses were that bad. After all the years of success, more was expected of the team but compared to now they were a better team. They lost to BC and top 25 teams UNH/Maine/James Madison in mostly competitive games. Even beat a top 10# Delaware team. The program now gets destroyed by .500 FCS teams...WTF!
I disagree. Old Dominion and Villanova were bad losses. That BC team was one we should have competed with BTW. The year before we hung with Michigan. We finished on a three game losing streak. K MO was the epitome of inconsistency as a HC. And, you are making Mckinney’s point. We had the talent to compete as a G5 then. Poor coaching.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:47 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:04 pm
dennisdent wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:48 am ^Checked the schedule from 2011, the last year as an FCS program and none of the losses were that bad. After all the years of success, more was expected of the team but compared to now they were a better team. They lost to BC and top 25 teams UNH/Maine/James Madison in mostly competitive games. Even beat a top 10# Delaware team. The program now gets destroyed by .500 FCS teams...WTF!
I disagree. Old Dominion and Villanova were bad losses. That BC team was one we should have competed with BTW. The year before we hung with Michigan. We finished on a three game losing streak. K MO was the epitome of inconsistency as a HC. And, you are making Mckinney’s point. We had the talent to compete as a G5 then. Poor coaching.
Don't want to waste too much more time on ten years ago but why not, nothing to discuss with this mess today. I wrote "not that bad," as in getting blown out almost every freaking week as an FBS program. Who was defending, Kevin Morris--I sure wasn't! Again, any season that UMass beat Delaware was a good one. Don't forget that UMass couldn't beat them for the first fourteen games that they played! Do you remember who the ODU QB was from that game---TAYLOR FREAKIN HEINICKE--the same QB that beat Tom Brady last week. Also, ODU finished 10 - 3 that season...Real bad loss when the score was 48 - 33... :roll:

You are as wrong as McKinney, I'm not making anyone's point...UMass as an FCS/1-AA program hadn't beaten a FBS/1-A team since the mid 80s (I think Ball State was the last win in 1984, 26 -10)! How could we "compete in the G5" when we could never beat one of those teams in one game a year! UMass had enough talent to compete for one game a season in those days. The close game in my view with Michigan started the whole ball running that UMass could be a FBS program... :lol:

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:01 pm

dennisdent wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:47 pm
minutefanjsf wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:04 pm
Don't want to waste too much more time on ten years ago but why not, nothing to discuss with this mess today. I wrote "not that bad," as in getting blown out almost every freaking week as an FBS program. Who was defending, Keven Morris--I sure wasn't! Again, any season that UMass beat Delaware was a good one. Don't forget that UMass couldn't beat them for the first fourteen games that they played! Do you remember who the ODU QB was from that game---TAYLOR FREAKIN HEINICKE--the same QB that beat Tom Brady last week. Also, ODU finished 10 - 3 that season.

You are as wrong as McKinney, I'm not making anyone's point...UMass as an FCS/1-AA program hadn't beaten a FBS/1-A team since the mid 80s (I think Ball State was the last win in 1984, 26 -10)! How could we "compete in the G5" when we could never beat one of those teams in one game a year! UMass had enough talent to compete for one game a season in those days. The close game in my view with Michigan started the whole ball running that UMass could be a FBS program... :lol:
Agree to disagree then. I didn’t say you were defending K mo. Quite the opposite. That season in context (before the last ten years) was horrible. Yes, Beating Delaware is a good win. If they can beat a top 10 team then there was something wrong losing the rest of those games was my point. They had the athletes to be a top 10 FCS team all of K MO’s years. They only played one 1A/FBS team a year, correct. I would say DB’s games against Navy and BC in 2006 and 2007 were what got the FBS train rolling. Navy finished 9-4 and we lost by 1. BC was 12th ranked and we lost by 10 after Coen got hurt. Those two seasons the team would have easily done well in the MAC, etc. K MO was the coach two years later while coming close to Michigan then fell off the map in 2011.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:19 pm

I knew the program from the inside in those days and believe me they could not compete in the G5--didn't have the athletes or depth. The team was always much healthier because they were playing against even opponents weekly in the 1-AA/FCS and not getting beaten down each week. The one 1-A/FBS game was always the big game playing the big boys.

I don't want to discuss KM--brings back baaaaaaaaaaaad memories! You know what, he's better then dumBELL... :lol:

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:24 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:00 pm
Steve81 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:46 pm
PreecherJenkins wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:15 pm

The people who want to go to MAC, like are you really okay that UMass will be with schools ranked in the 200's for overall education per US NEWS report (Buffalo and Miami are not), or in the A10 where most of the schools are like UMass in the top 100?

I grew up in Chicago and very very few students went to any of the MAC schools, including Northern Illinois
Please provide links instead of saying the MAC is this and overall the A10 is that, as think you post whatever spills out of your brain. Will do the work and list out each university from both conferences as facts are not your forte.
Here yah go MACATION Steve. Like I said a couple of days ago, if you want to make it personal DM me and talk.

A10:
Richmond: 22
George Wash:63
UMass: 68
Duq: 148
Dayton: 127
Fordham: 68
Davidson: 13
URI: 162
VCU: 173
SLU: 103
Loyola Chicago: 103
Mason: 148
La Salle (Regional: 43
St. Bona: Regional 18
ST Joe's: 8th Regional

12 nationally ranked school avg: 99.83

Mac:
Buffalo: 93
Miami: 103
BGSU: 249
Toledo: 299-391
E. Mich: 299-391
C. Mich: 239
W. Mich: 263
Ball State: 263
Ohio: 179
NIU: 299-391
Akron: 299-391
Kent Read Kent Write Kent State: 213

MAC Average (using 299) is 233.

USNEWS.com/best-colleges/search?schoolName=Kent+State+University
Think most people are fine with universities that are National Rank as the MAC and all being large public universities like ourselves,
The A10 has 3 universities that are not even National ranked. Those if comparing apples to apples would skew the A10 number up. They become closer if UMass switches from the A10 to the MAC. But in the end, really a non factor in conference affiliations. National rank universities clear the bar and fine with it.
Go UMass!!

hoopified
Freshman

Post by hoopified » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:55 am

A10:
Richmond: 22
George Wash:63
UMass: 68
Duq: 148
Dayton: 127
Fordham: 68
Davidson: 13
URI: 162
VCU: 173
SLU: 103
Loyola Chicago: 103
Mason: 148
La Salle (Regional: 43
St. Bona: Regional 18
ST Joe's: 8th Regional

12 nationally ranked school avg: 99.83

Mac:
Buffalo: 93
Miami: 103
BGSU: 249
Toledo: 299-391
E. Mich: 299-391
C. Mich: 239
W. Mich: 263
Ball State: 263
Ohio: 179
NIU: 299-391
Akron: 299-391
Kent Read Kent Write Kent State: 213

MAC Average (using 299) is 233.

USNEWS.com/best-colleges/search?schoolName=Kent+State+University
[/quote]

Sorry to nitpick but the A-10 rankings are incorrect. Davidson as #13 national U made me go look. Richmond is in liberal arts so is Davidson so that is not apples to apples. Pull them out and the remaining 10 schools are 116.3

AND MUCH LIKE REALESTATE - YOU DON"T WANT TO BE THE NICEST HOUSE ON THE BLOCK.

USE the MAC/CUSA/Whatever conference will have us, the same way Rutgers, Penn State, West Virginia and Virginia Tech used the A-10. Why in gods name are we the only charter member with our institutional profile still sitting in the A-10? Have to position ourselves for the next, next move.....

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:57 am

you are correct it is LA ratings. Still pretty high numbers. However you slice it, there are not bottom quartile schools in the A10 as there are in the MAC.

If UMass wants to be rising, it does not go to the MACnation.
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:46 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:57 am you are correct it is LA ratings. Still pretty high numbers. However you slice it, there are not bottom quartile schools in the A10 as there are in the MAC.

If UMass wants to be rising, it does not go to the MACnation. <-- Makes no difference on whether UMass rises as a Top 30 public Research Institution
CUSA will be making decisions in the first part of December.
Think UMass admins are waiting for that decision. If it's a no go, STRONGLY hope for a BIG push all MAC with Western Kentucky.
Western Kentucky despite paying 3M and giving up their share of 33M in exist fees wants the MAC.

Frig that, just go with Western Kentucky to the MAC, CUSA most have strong issues that WKU wants out so bad. Even Middle Tennessee wanted the MAC but they did not want to give up that large exit fee pool.
Go UMass!!

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:29 pm

Keeping an eye on the MAC.
I haven't seen this mentioned, but the MAC just put an unprecedented five teams in the NCAA men's soccer tournament. MAC champion Northern Illinois got the automatic bid, while Bowling Green, West Virginia, Georgia State, and Akron got at-large bids.

I'm not sure how all the other teams are doing, but Bowling Green just beat Louisville 1-0 tonight on the Cards' own field. They'll move onto the next round with a match at Indiana.
Go UMass!!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:50 am

Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:46 am

That was with a football only pairing to the MAC. If UMass goes all sports, the MAC will take Western Kentucky and UMass. Of interesting note MAC soccer needs soccer teams with the realignment.
Go UMass!!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:49 am

LOL
"Following analysis and evaluation by the membership, it has been determined our best interests are served in the Conference remaining at 12 full member institutions," said MAC commissioner Jon Steinbrecher.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:59 am

Steve81 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:46 am
That was with a football only pairing to the MAC. If UMass goes all sports, the MAC will take Western Kentucky and UMass. Of interesting note MAC soccer needs soccer teams with the realignment.
Steve81: Just talked to someone who knows someone who knows Jon Steinbrecher: Please read below the MAc's and Ryan Bambi's comments.

Press Release
November 19, 2021:
RE: UMass

MAC Commissioner Jon Steinbrecher releases the following statement about the addition UMass for all sports

"Not happening"

UMass Athletic Director Ryan Bamford's response:

"As I said while I was holding up the pamphlet made at Amherst Copy and Print (thanks for sponsorship and snazzy file). UMass is looking for a Football only conference affliction partner. We are hopeful join a football only conference soon."
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:13 pm

The last chance for a short term football only is CUSA. Both the Sunbelt and MAC said no to football only. The CUSA presidents will vote on whether to go for a 12 teams with a conference championship in the first part of December. If it's no, UMass should change it's tone for being so loyal to a 2 bid conference. The MAC will expand if UMass changes it's tone.

Regardless it's all up to the CUSA presidents. It will be interesting to see how Western Kentucky votes. A no vote from them will indicate they will pair up with UMass to the MAC.

You may not like it but time will tell.
Go UMass!!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:17 pm

Steve81 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:13 pm The MAC will expand if UMass changes it's tone.

Source, please?