FROM OUT OF THE ASHES A GREAT PHOENIX WILL RISE

Get ready for some MACtion
stevemaz
Senior

FROM OUT OF THE ASHES A GREAT PHOENIX WILL RISE

Post by stevemaz » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:27 am

Good morning UMass fans

Our football team has certainly hit rock bottom so let's face it, there is only one direction we can go and that is Up. We do have a decent to good Athletic Dept (except men's hoop of course, who will also be looking for a new coach in March) and a very good and rising Academic ranking. Here is my plan...

Step One: Increase Football budget significantly and hire the best head coach you can get. Then, do not hamstring him with $$ so he can hire good assistants. I think our current team has some decent athletes on defense, yet they play like they are the worst defense in the history of FBS so to me it is terrible coaching that is mostly to blame. On offense, unless we land a QB who is big threat to run, I would abandon the spread offense and have the QB mostly under center. Go with Pro style offense setting up for a better running game and play action passes/screens. The other alternative is to go the Option route. The point is that since almost everybody runs the same spread offense you need to be different. On Defense, go with an attacking mentality to try to force mistakes instead of the passive crap we do now.

Step Two: Continue to upgrade facilities

Step Three: We need to get into a conference (at least for football). I do think it is time to leave A10 as well. I understood why they didnt move to the MAC because at the time the A10 was doing very well in Hoops, but times have changed. We would be better off today if we were in the MAC so I would accept an invite there when the Mac takes another look. That said, the best plan I can see would be to push hard to get into the Big East. I do believe the Big East is quietly looking at expansion for 2025 and if Gonzaga isnt in play (and they may be) there is a chance. What I envision is UMass, Dayton, and Saint Louis added to give them 14. I think I am going to be right about the football leagues breaking away from the NCAA or at least forcing a smaller division 1 (less conferences) and that will happen around 2025. The Big East will be one of those leagues but they are going to need to form a football league (UConn, UMass, Dayton, Butler, Villanova, Gtown..then add Army and Navy as football only members..yes they will get an exception for this) Eventually maybe other Big East teams will start playing football.

Onward and Upward boys and girls...

Quann
Hall of Fame

Re: FROM OUT OF THE ASHES A GREAT PHOENIX WILL RISE

Post by Quann » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:11 am

Stevemaz, I love your delusion, passion and support. I am keeping the same optimism going as you. It's always darkest before the dawn :D

UMass1991
Junior

Post by UMass1991 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:43 pm

Who will want to coach this team. No conference, horrible TV deal, a roster that needs to be rebuilt, POS stadium

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:28 am

I would and would do it for 100K

bunkerhill87
Senior

Post by bunkerhill87 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:19 am

It will be hard to find a viable candidate to come. the lack of a conference and true commitment from the administration definitely handicaps Umass. Sad. FCS we competed and were in the mix for National Championships. Moving to FBS and the hope of bowl eligible was the bar a lot of you wished for. FBS football in the Northeast is an extremely tough task. BC back in the day but who else? No one. I not sure why we think we can be a Nationally relevant sports University in Football and Basketball. Take a look at the past 12 years. Pretty sad. Complete overhaul. Bail the A10. Play FCS again. Find regional affiliations. The CAA seems like an incredible fit for us w/ similar Schools. Play at the level we are capable of. No Shame in that. This will draw criticism but college athletics has spiraled out of control. Right now we are getting sucked into it and beaten badly. I'm proud of my Umass degree. Loved my years in the Pioneer Valley. I still make several trips a year to catch Hockey games( 5 hrs away). Compete at a high level in sports that make sense. Hockey and Lacrosse for example.
To see us falter and miss year after year in basketball and football is sad and discouraging for our pride. Umass is an exceptional Academic institution. Lets rally around that

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:48 am

^ That's some defeatist bullshit. Sorry. I'll save my travel expenses and just go to Rutgers and Army football games if we're dropping down.

The idea that UMass doesn't have the resources to compete with the mid-size regional schools of the G5 is ridiculous. Dropping down is embarrassing.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:03 am

bunkerhill87 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:19 am It will be hard to find a viable candidate to come. the lack of a conference and true commitment from the administration definitely handicaps Umass. Sad. FCS we competed and were in the mix for National Championships. Moving to FBS and the hope of bowl eligible was the bar a lot of you wished for. FBS football in the Northeast is an extremely tough task. BC back in the day but who else? No one. I not sure why we think we can be a Nationally relevant sports University in Football and Basketball. Take a look at the past 12 years. Pretty sad. Complete overhaul. Bail the A10. Play FCS again. Find regional affiliations. The CAA seems like an incredible fit for us w/ similar Schools. Play at the level we are capable of. No Shame in that. This will draw criticism but college athletics has spiraled out of control. Right now we are getting sucked into it and beaten badly. I'm proud of my Umass degree. Loved my years in the Pioneer Valley. I still make several trips a year to catch Hockey games( 5 hrs away). Compete at a high level in sports that make sense. Hockey and Lacrosse for example.
To see us falter and miss year after year in basketball and football is sad and discouraging for our pride. Umass is an exceptional Academic institution. Lets rally around that
This is a really bad idea, so you want to be in a conference with Delaware and Elon? No thanks. Also, lax seems to have taken some steps back in the past few years as more programs are coming on line. Hockey should always be good because there are only 60 schools that play it at a d-1 level! 60!

Folks, there is no longer regional affiliations in college sports. Stepping back is the absolute worst idea that can happen here.
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:05 am

bunkerhill87 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:19 am It will be hard to find a viable candidate to come. the lack of a conference and true commitment from the administration definitely handicaps Umass. Sad. FCS we competed and were in the mix for National Championships. Moving to FBS and the hope of bowl eligible was the bar a lot of you wished for. FBS football in the Northeast is an extremely tough task. BC back in the day but who else? No one. I not sure why we think we can be a Nationally relevant sports University in Football and Basketball. Take a look at the past 12 years. Pretty sad. Complete overhaul. Bail the A10. Play FCS again. Find regional affiliations. The CAA seems like an incredible fit for us w/ similar Schools. Play at the level we are capable of. No Shame in that. This will draw criticism but college athletics has spiraled out of control. Right now we are getting sucked into it and beaten badly. I'm proud of my Umass degree. Loved my years in the Pioneer Valley. I still make several trips a year to catch Hockey games( 5 hrs away). Compete at a high level in sports that make sense. Hockey and Lacrosse for example.
This actually makes sense for the current situation the football program is in now. I would rather play against schools that we are academically aligned with: W&M, Villanova, UDel, Albany then schools like MTSU/WKU/FIU. Elon is a good football program, (much better then UMass right now) and a good school academically. They beat Maine 33-23...Just saying.

Would rather stay FBS but its just not working...
Last edited by dennisdent on Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:10 am

dennisdent wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:05 am This actually makes sense for the current situation the football program is now. I would rather play against schools that we are academically aligned with W&M, Villanova, UDel, Albany then schools like MTSU/WKU/FIU.
Those schools should move up before UMass moves down...Just saying.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:18 am

^Totally agree! Wish they would but they are too smart at the present time to make the move. :lol:

bunkerhill87
Senior

Post by bunkerhill87 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:20 am

McKinney wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:48 am ^ That's some defeatist bullshit. Sorry. I'll save my travel expenses and just go to Rutgers and Army football games if we're dropping down.

The idea that UMass doesn't have the resources to compete with the mid-size regional schools of the G5 is ridiculous. Dropping down is embarrassing.
i hear ya about dropping down but this has been bad from the start. so we start over again w/ another coach with the hopes of being .500 in 4 years
at best. Again its painfully hard to recruit football in the Northeast especially FBS with our current facilities etc. and the commitment of the administration. Just piles of negatives over the entire FBS attempt. Stay w/ FBS and keep pouring the gasoline on the fire. Let me know when the continued lopsided scores that we have seen continue . Talk about embarrassing

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:25 am

The only two winners of UMass going FBS are Charley Molnar and Walter Bell. Two dummies who got paid a lot of money for failing at their jobs spectacularly.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:25 am

bunkerhill87 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:20 am
i hear ya about dropping down but this has been bad from the start. so we start over again w/ another coach with the hopes of being .500 in 4 years
at best. Again its painfully hard to recruit football in the Northeast especially FBS with our current facilities etc. and the commitment of the administration. Just piles of negatives over the entire FBS attempt. Stay w/ FBS and keep pouring the gasoline on the fire. Let me know when the continued lopsided scores that we have seen continue . Talk about embarrassing

You just hit the key point... "and the commitment of the administration." That's the part that needs to change IMMEDIATELY. I've heard rumblings that it is starting to happen, but it is hard to believe that until we see it.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:30 am

bunkerhill87 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:20 am
McKinney wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:48 am ^ That's some defeatist bullshit. Sorry. I'll save my travel expenses and just go to Rutgers and Army football games if we're dropping down.

Exactly! UMass was NEVER an embarrassment as an FCS program! We are now and will be for the foreseeable future!

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:42 am

From the ashes a great Phoenix will rise... stay the course guys..