New UMass Football Coach 2021

Don Brown's back and there's gonna be stability. Hey na, hey na, Don Brown's back.
Rolling Ridge
Junior

Re: New UMass Football Coach 2021

Post by Rolling Ridge » Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:30 pm

m626t wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:01 pm We are gonna go ahead and wait until after all the bowl games before the AD hires a well respected search consultancy to survey the landscape and put forward an astonishing list of potential head coach candidates, all who will have a strong desire to coach the worst football team in the NCAA D1 :roll:
I'm not clear where you're getting this. Bamford threw out a hypothetical hire date of 12/1 to maximize early signing opportunities. That date was used simply as an example - it probably won't happen that fast - but it's clear they made this move to try to get something started quickly. I got zero sense from the press conference that we're waiting until after the bowl games to begin our search. My guess is they already have a sort list of desirable candidates - whether they would be interested is a different matter, and that may well slow things down.

My other takeaways from the interview include a commitment to increased salary in the coaching pool and increased usage of the transfer portal to put a more competitive product on field more quickly. Both are big issues in my mind, the salary stuff in particular.

I actually thought it was a pretty good press conference.

Kelz626
Junior

Post by Kelz626 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:38 pm

I could see Don Brown coming back under the right circumstances and based on what Mike at FightMassachusetts has said it might not be as far fetched as some might think. If it’s set up correctly he could come in for 3-4 years with the goal of getting this team back on solid footing similar to what Whip did. What needs to be different to avoid a Whip 2.0 situation is having the expectation clear that Brown gets the team back to respectability and have a HC in waiting on the staff to take the team to the next level. Granted it was one press conference but I thought Miller really impressed today with his no BS, no cute coach talk, “we’re taking this one day at a time” approach. During his last few years at UNH he became a rising name in coaching circles. If he can be a legit FBS HC in a few years with some tutelage from Brown it might be the best opportunity for this team to succeed

There is almost 0 chance Coen comes back. If he stays the course at Kentucky he’ll be a HC at a high G5 or P5 in the next few years. Chesney is a similar case where if he stays the course at Holy Cross he can probably get a better G5 HC job or a P5 coordinator job like Joe Harasymiak from Maine.

Not saying it’s Brown or bust or that there aren’t good options out there but I think Bamford is going to have to do a great job of selling this program to attract someone. Just throwing the job to a young coordinator at a “name” school isn’t going to cut it this time around. Someone legitimate needs to take this program over

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:52 pm

I know that we probably don’t want another 36 year old with no head coaching experience coming in, but Liam Coen would be an excellent hire.

photoman
Senior

Post by photoman » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:04 pm

I seem to remember many posts about Whip along the lines of "the game's past him by", too old, far less energy as Whip 2.0 compared to 1.0.

None of this is a concern with Brown?

jpatsfan
Junior

Post by jpatsfan » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:09 pm

I'm still really big on Bob Chesney or Joe Harasymiak. Both have HC experience and have been successful in New England. I think Don Brown could be really impactful as Director of Football ops or assistant AD. He could be the elder statemen behind the scenes.

Either way, hoping UMass goes all in supporting Football. We will have to pay to get a solid coach. No more Ramen noodles budget.

Kelz626
Junior

Post by Kelz626 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:16 pm

photoman wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:04 pm I seem to remember many posts about Whip along the lines of "the game's past him by", too old, far less energy as Whip 2.0 compared to 1.0.

None of this is a concern with Brown?
From what Sage said on Twitter the other night the main problem with Whip was burn out from the administration side of being HC: doing all the speaking engagements, chasing kids down making sure they’re going to class, chasing down recruits for transcripts ect. Ultimately he just wanted to coach and scheme up the offense each week and not deal with the off the field stuff. As far as X’s and O’s Offensively the game hadn’t and hasn’t passed him by, his offense at UMass and now Pitt put up yards and points.

It’s definitely a concern with Brown as well which is why i think you have to learn from the Whip situation and make sure the right staff would be in place to avoid that. If Whip had a successor in place for when he plateaued at 4 wins this program would be in 1000x better shape right now

Sheck
Senior

Post by Sheck » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:27 pm

Kelz626 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:38 pm HC in waiting on the staff to take the team to the next level. Granted it was one press conference but I thought Miller really impressed today with his no BS, no cute coach talk, “we’re taking this one day at a time” approach. During his last few years at UNH he became a rising name in coaching circles. If he can be a legit FBS HC in a few years with some tutelage from Brown it might be the best opportunity for this team to succeed
I'd definitely like to see Miller get a shot and I'm hoping that having him coach these last 3 games can serve as an audition of sorts. Might be the best option at the end of the day if the targeted candidates turn us down. It helps that he is an alum and also spent time at the coaching factory up in Durham that produced Chip Kelly and Ryan Day.
We got our coach! #Flagship 🚩

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:27 pm

I also have a feeling that this is a tryout for Miller. He's the same age as Bell (37) and really would be a great fit for the program. He loves UMass(this does matter); has the DMV (DC/MD/VA) connections; coached at Oregon under Chip Kelly; salary wouldn't be an issue. He sounded like a future head coach today in Bamford's ZOOM meeting. He knows what it takes to win in Amherst and I think he could build back the toughness/blue collar mentality to the program. He would have the full support of the football alums/donors/administration.

This will be an interesting last three weeks of the season...

This is how Dabo Swinney started at Clemson!

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:34 am

Great point DD. If the team really responds to him and we can see a tangible change on the field the next HC may be in house. As for Brown, Miller played for him and maybe Brown comes back for a few years because his daughter and grandkids live right down the street. Brown gets us back to being respectable but lets Miller learn and run the team in the background and then takes over. That being said I would still take Chesney over this scenario.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:13 am

TheInsider wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:34 am Great point DD. If the team really responds to him and we can see a tangible change on the field the next HC may be in house. As for Brown, Miller played for him and maybe Brown comes back for a few years because his daughter and grandkids live right down the street. Brown gets us back to being respectable but lets Miller learn and run the team in the background and then takes over. That being said I would still take Chesney over this scenario.
Chesney and then Harasymiak are my preferred choices. Brown coming back to finish his career as the UMass DC under Miller would be awesome, but doubt it could happen. Don't really feel that Brown as the head coach is a fit right now.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:05 am

Agreed.. I like Harasymiak but he only spent 3 years at Maine and had one good year before he left. Much more experience than Bell as a HC but not a ton. Bamford should call Chesney's agent first and ask "what do we need to do". Guy has won at every level and get him before he ends up somewhere else.

Jeff90
Sophomore

Post by Jeff90 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:04 am

Just want to agree with all those that say we need a coach with HC experience. That would mean looking at proven winners at lower level programs. I Like the suggestions that have been made here. I don’t want another inexperienced power 5 assistant. Also agree Bamford’s description of what he is looking for sounds more like Walt Bell than the guys myself and others are seeking. I know he worries about FBS recruiting experience but a believe being competitive on the field will take care of recruiting.

DeeDeeBee
Freshman

Post by DeeDeeBee » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:53 am

Interim Head Football Coach Alex Miller will be one of the speakers at tomorrow’s Sports luncheon at Berkshire.
The Tennis coach J. Nunez and Greg Carvel are the other speakers.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:03 pm

dennisdent wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:27 pm I also have a feeling that this is a tryout for Miller. He's the same age as Bell (37) and really would be a great fit for the program. He loves UMass(this does matter); has the DMV (DC/MD/VA) connections; coached at Oregon under Chip Kelly; salary wouldn't be an issue. He sounded like a future head coach today in Bamford's ZOOM meeting. He knows what it takes to win in Amherst and I think he could build back the toughness/blue collar mentality to the program. He would have the full support of the football alums/donors/administration.

This will be an interesting last three weeks of the season...

This is how Dabo Swinney started at Clemson!
I don't even know how to reply to that:
- First - NOBODY knows what it takes to win in Amherst [at the FBS level]. If this was THAT easy to identify why has it taken so long to find THAT guy
- Second - that statement is Coach Speak 101... sounds really impressive like "Volume Shooter" (sorry Niles) but doesn't actually mean anything
- Third - :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nobody is going to know who will succeed at Umass until some guy comes in here and actually does it. You can argue that Whip had some level of successful but even what he did here wasn't good enough for the masses.

I hope Miller kills it and keeps the job - but he doesn't know any more or less than any other potential coach "what it takes" to win here.

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:47 pm

Rolling Ridge wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:30 pm
m626t wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:01 pm We are gonna go ahead and wait until after all the bowl games before the AD hires a well respected search consultancy to survey the landscape and put forward an astonishing list of potential head coach candidates, all who will have a strong desire to coach the worst football team in the NCAA D1 :roll:
I'm not clear where you're getting this. Bamford threw out a hypothetical hire date of 12/1 to maximize early signing opportunities. That date was used simply as an example - it probably won't happen that fast - but it's clear they made this move to try to get something started quickly. I got zero sense from the press conference that we're waiting until after the bowl games to begin our search. My guess is they already have a sort list of desirable candidates - whether they would be interested is a different matter, and that may well slow things down.

My other takeaways from the interview include a commitment to increased salary in the coaching pool and increased usage of the transfer portal to put a more competitive product on field more quickly. Both are big issues in my mind, the salary stuff in particular.

I actually thought it was a pretty good press conference.
my snarky post has also been dismembered by Matty V. article...https://www.masslive.com/umassfootball/ ... coach.html
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.