New UMass Football Coach 2021

Get ready for some MACtion
wmmmfan
Senior

Re: New UMass Football Coach 2021

Post by wmmmfan » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:22 pm

McKinney wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:22 pm
McKinney wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:22 am Brian Bohannon has absolutely killed it at Kennesaw State. That school didn't even sponsor football before he got there. Built up that program up from literally nothing to #17 in FCS, multiple conference championships and playoff appearances.

Obviously recruiting Georgia is different than Massachusetts. But KSU hasn't won on a strict talent advantage. Their roster is #202 on 247sports composite rankings.

I think he's a proven program manager who knows how to use the talent he's got. And eventually running the option here could be beneficial for a team that's never going to win recruiting battles at a high level. It's worked for Army, Navy, Coastal, New Mexico, GT, where they were at a talent disadvantage. Why not UMass?
McKinney wrote:Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:24 pm Princeton's Bob Surace could be interesting. Over a decade of head coach experience, NFL experience, and was a finalist for National Coach of the Year. Turned Princeton around from a perennially mediocre team to a 3 time Ivy League Champion.

He's a northeast/New England guy: from Harrisburg, PA, coached at colleges in Massachusetts, Maine, Connecticut, New York, and New Jersey. Including at Springfield College.

But he's a Princeton alumnus and even though the Ivies aren't about athletics, they could probably counteroffer higher than UMass.
McKinney wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:27 am Bob Chesney I think would be the best "fit" though. Proven head coach, background as a defensive mind, turned around 3 programs all in the Northeast at DIII, DII, and FCS. Off the field, he's run a clean program with some of the best APR scores in the country. If you need to convince university administration and boosters to pony up the cash, I think he's a really easy sell.
I’m in on Surace and Chesney they have proven themselves to be excellent HC’s with high academic standards. I liked Bohannon during the last search because it would be a total rebuild but not this time I couldn’t live through that again. He has done a great job at Kennesaw.

Harasymiak would be another coach I think would do a great job.

They don’t get any of these guys without a clear vision from the administration as to what is expected for the football program going forward, proper funding for the coaching staff and a conference. Too risky for their careers otherwise.

If the money and administration support is there but no conference soon then Brown or Golden would be the two I could see coming and being for UMass what Hugh Freeze has been for Liberty. Although I have heard UConn is Golden’s destination possibly.

82grad
Freshman

Post by 82grad » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:39 pm

My son went to UMiami during the Al Golden years. He was a better recruiter than he was an on field coach and they always underachieved. He did have to deal with the huge booster scandal so that didn’t help.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:07 pm

wmmmfan wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:22 pm
McKinney wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:22 pm
McKinney wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:22 am Brian Bohannon has absolutely killed it at Kennesaw State. That school didn't even sponsor football before he got there. Built up that program up from literally nothing to #17 in FCS, multiple conference championships and playoff appearances.

Obviously recruiting Georgia is different than Massachusetts. But KSU hasn't won on a strict talent advantage. Their roster is #202 on 247sports composite rankings.

I think he's a proven program manager who knows how to use the talent he's got. And eventually running the option here could be beneficial for a team that's never going to win recruiting battles at a high level. It's worked for Army, Navy, Coastal, New Mexico, GT, where they were at a talent disadvantage. Why not UMass?
McKinney wrote:Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:24 pm Princeton's Bob Surace could be interesting. Over a decade of head coach experience, NFL experience, and was a finalist for National Coach of the Year. Turned Princeton around from a perennially mediocre team to a 3 time Ivy League Champion.

He's a northeast/New England guy: from Harrisburg, PA, coached at colleges in Massachusetts, Maine, Connecticut, New York, and New Jersey. Including at Springfield College.

But he's a Princeton alumnus and even though the Ivies aren't about athletics, they could probably counteroffer higher than UMass.
McKinney wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:27 am Bob Chesney I think would be the best "fit" though. Proven head coach, background as a defensive mind, turned around 3 programs all in the Northeast at DIII, DII, and FCS. Off the field, he's run a clean program with some of the best APR scores in the country. If you need to convince university administration and boosters to pony up the cash, I think he's a really easy sell.
I’m in on Surace and Chesney they have proven themselves to be excellent HC’s with high academic standards. I liked Bohannon during the last search because it would be a total rebuild but not this time I couldn’t live through that again. He has done a great job at Kennesaw.

Harasymiak would be another coach I think would do a great job.

They don’t get any of these guys without a clear vision from the administration as to what is expected for the football program going forward, proper funding for the coaching staff and a conference. Too risky for their careers otherwise.

If the money and administration support is there but no conference soon then Brown or Golden would be the two I could see coming and being for UMass what Hugh Freeze has been for Liberty. Although I have heard UConn is Golden’s destination possibly.
No Southerners
No one under 40
Must have HC experience
No P5 OC's
Must have a winning record

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:07 am

I'm asking for two things:

1: Previous HC experience. We've done the Coordinator thing twice now with no luck.
2: A budget to properly hire assistants. That includes a legit OC and DC. I do not want the head coach directly managing those areas.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:33 am

agree with both those... hopefully the administration makes the full commitment. Your Football coach runs the largest athletic organization on campus. They should make the most $$

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:37 am

Also:

DON'T REPLY ALL!

:lol: :lol:
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:47 am

if you do not want a reply bcc everyone!

okay, more importantly, is this zoom link anywhere? Want to ask Bamford why he should be allowed to hire a new coach.
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:07 am

Now we know how many are in the GC!

Looking for the Zoom also!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:20 am

I haven't been able to find a link for the presser.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:29 am

NE Football Journal is posting clips on twitter.

https://twitter.com/newftbj

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:45 am

Its another major fail by this athletic department. Need open communication
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:07 pm

How much is needed to attract a quality coach?
Kyle GrabowskiCrown
@kylegrbwsk
· 27m
"We’re definitely going to have to increase our coaching salary pool," Bamford, as part of explaining that football investment needs to be increased

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:16 pm

Personality and recruiting ability? Dude you should have kept Bell!
@TheDylanCorey wrote: Bamford said he's "wide open" to hiring any coach regardless of prior experience or lack thereof. "I don't have a framework for any particular characteristics or side of the ball or coaching expertise." Said the focus is more on personality/fit/recruiting ability.
https://twitter.com/TheDylanCorey/statu ... 0718864385
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:03 pm

wow.. so once again any actual track record of success won't be a driving factor. So if your a good salesman with good hair your at the top of the list again.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:30 pm

I say they go after someone in my image.. Polish and bald/balding..