New UMass Football Coach 2021

Get ready for some MACtion
minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Re: New UMass Football Coach 2021

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:22 am

Uminuteman wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:22 am I watched Alabama v Georgia and Michigan v Ohio State...I must have missed the UMass talk :D
So did you miss it when UMass played FSU? Pitt? People tune into to see those teams have never heard of UMass never mind UMass football.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:56 am

minutefanjsf wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:22 am
Uminuteman wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:22 am I watched Alabama v Georgia and Michigan v Ohio State...I must have missed the UMass talk :D
So did you miss it when UMass played FSU? Pitt? People tune into to see those teams have never heard of UMass never mind UMass football.
Also, wouldn’t be surprised to hear about coach Casula heading to UMass during the next Michigan game.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:37 am

Take a look - not on the TV ratings radar screen from what I see. And most games not involving both P5-type teams have terrible ratings. Just because you are available on TV does not mean folks are watching.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:26 pm

econalum wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:37 am Take a look - not on the TV ratings radar screen from what I see. And most games not involving both P5-type teams have terrible ratings. Just because you are available on TV does not mean folks are watching.
There are die hard core group of fans that watch their team no matter who the opponent is. Getting UMass national exposure for 3 hours with that group pays off more than all the advertising they do other places. I am paraphrasing reports I’ve seen about FBS football, not just UMass. I am a long time STH, since the late 90s. Anecdotally, my peer alumni group has attended many more FBS games than FCS games. The high point of attendance for FCS at UMass is literally the floor for FBS. Attendance helps drive local advertising and sponsorships. Those are lacking compared to FCS days, it seems. National exposure, even if for the poor performance on the the field.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:54 pm

You just keep asserting things as facts that aren't - where is the evidence/data? Personal observations are just that.

We played 3 Power 5 teams and nothing showed up on TV ratings. In fact, we may be such a bad brand where potential viewers think it will be a wipeout game early, and avoid it for the other 10 channels at least carrying games simultaneously.

CFB is near or above the saturation point for viewing - so many games, so many channels including more and more streaming.

Heck we have to resort to FLOsports, not even ESPN+.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:04 pm

i wish we were on ESPN + rather than FLOSPORTS. That way I would have to pay for only one streaming service.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:14 pm

econalum wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:54 pm You just keep asserting things as facts that aren't - where is the evidence/data? Personal observations are just that.

We played 3 Power 5 teams and nothing showed up on TV ratings. In fact, we may be such a bad brand where potential viewers think it will be a wipeout game early, and avoid it for the other 10 channels at least carrying games simultaneously.

CFB is near or above the saturation point for viewing - so many games, so many channels including more and more streaming.

Like I said, I was relying on articles I read on the subject, a few years ago. The google machine is not easy to navigate to find them again. And, the ratings may go down for the P5 team when Umass plays them, but they are not zero. And, UMass would have zero exposure in those areas. FCS has less exposure than the lowest FBS. Those things were part of the study that convinced UMass to move to FBS.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:01 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:14 pm
econalum wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:54 pm You just keep asserting things as facts that aren't - where is the evidence/data? Personal observations are just that.

Like I said, I was relying on articles I read on the subject, a few years ago. The google machine is not easy to navigate to find them again. And, the ratings may go down for the P5 team when Umass plays them, but they are not zero. And, UMass would have zero exposure in those areas. FCS has less exposure than the lowest FBS. Those things were part of the study that convinced UMass to move to FBS.
Don't bother arguing/trying to have a discourse with him; he's basically a UMass anti-FBS troll. He's a one-note Johnny and comes off like he's knowledgeable but he's full of BS.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:08 am

Why are you bringing up TV ratings? This topic is the new UMass football coach and UMass football. Your constant comments about why UMass should have remained FCS is really getting old. We have been FBS since 2012 and it's a done deal. It is sort of like Joseph Kennedy Sr. during WW2 advocating for the US to remain neutral even after Pearl Harbor.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:01 am

Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

km109
Senior

Post by km109 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:27 am

On a positive note, former Duke Defensive Coordinator Ben Albert has been signed to Coach Brown's staff as Assistant Head Coach and Special Teams Coordinator. Unless they somehow got Belichick to be the Defensive Coordinator, I couldn't be happier with this staff.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:34 am

km109 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:27 am On a positive note, former Duke Defensive Coordinator Ben Albert has been signed to Coach Brown's staff as Assistant Head Coach and Special Teams Coordinator. Unless they somehow got Belichick to be the Defensive Coordinator, I couldn't be happier with this staff.
This upcoming season is going to be fantastic! I am stoked about the coaching staff. I think they will get the most out of the players they have. I do not think the previous staff was able to do that. I’m not kidding myself that we have anything more than a bunch of 2 and 3 star players. The vast majority of players are in that same boat, though, so I am looking forward to what these kids can do with this staff.

TheChamp
Junior

Post by TheChamp » Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:21 pm

km109 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:27 am On a positive note, former Duke Defensive Coordinator Ben Albert has been signed to Coach Brown's staff as Assistant Head Coach and Special Teams Coordinator. Unless they somehow got Belichick to be the Defensive Coordinator, I couldn't be happier with this staff.
You forgot one thing: ALSO A former UMass alum!

"An all-conference defensive lineman at Massachusetts, Albert graduated in 1995 with a degree in political science and sociology. He later earned a master’s degree in education from Massachusetts in 1997."

Awesome coaching staff full of a nice mix of vets and up-and-comers and plenty of guys who know the school and know the region and know what it takes to win in the Northeast. Program on the rise!

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:02 pm

Love this staff. These guys will get the potential out of these kids, kids will be more disciplined, and be put in positions to be successful. I imagine the players who are sticking around are stoked to have a bunch of experienced and successful coaches to work with. Alex Miller did a great job with a young OLine last season, I can imagine each position group improving as well.

Plug in a few players in key spots and should look a lot better.
Time to Win

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:17 pm

Floyd wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:02 pm Love this staff. These guys will get the potential out of these kids, kids will be more disciplined, and be put in positions to be successful. I imagine the players who are sticking around are stoked to have a bunch of experienced and successful coaches to work with. Alex Miller did a great job with a young OLine last season, I can imagine each position group improving as well.

Plug in a few players in key spots and should look a lot better.
Just think.....an actual win!!!!!!