New UMass Football Coach 2021

Get ready for some MACtion
Rolling Ridge
Junior

Re: New UMass Football Coach 2021

Post by Rolling Ridge » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:59 pm

m626t wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:47 pmmy snarky post has also been dismembered by Matty V. article...https://www.masslive.com/umassfootball/ ... coach.html
That article captured exactly what I got out of the press conference and I think is a great synopsis.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:59 pm

eldonabe wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:03 pm
dennisdent wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:27 pm I also have a feeling that this is a tryout for Miller. He's the same age as Bell (37) and really would be a great fit for the program. He loves UMass(this does matter); has the DMV (DC/MD/VA) connections; coached at Oregon under Chip Kelly; salary wouldn't be an issue. He sounded like a future head coach today in Bamford's ZOOM meeting. He knows what it takes to win in Amherst and I think he could build back the toughness/blue collar mentality to the program. He would have the full support of the football alums/donors/administration.

This will be an interesting last three weeks of the season...

This is how Dabo Swinney started at Clemson!
I don't even know how to reply to that:
- First - NOBODY knows what it takes to win in Amherst [at the FBS level]. If this was THAT easy to identify why has it taken so long to find THAT guy
- Second - that statement is Coach Speak 101... sounds really impressive like "Volume Shooter" (sorry Niles) but doesn't actually mean anything
- Third - :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nobody is going to know who will succeed at Umass until some guy comes in here and actually does it. You can argue that Whip had some level of successful but even what he did here wasn't good enough for the masses.

I hope Miller kills it and keeps the job - but he doesn't know any more or less than any other potential coach "what it takes" to win here.
--If you don't know what it means to win in Amherst (recruiting New England/Northeast/selling the positives of the school as a grad/former player/knowing those who support and fund the program (former players) personally.

--In MY VIEW he did the "coach speak" really well for being thrown into the job at the last minute. Molnar and Bell couldn't do the "coach speak" when they had the job as their own.

--If you can only post emojis-- :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

"but he doesn't know any more or less than any other potential coach "what it takes" to win here." Say's the anonymous troll on the UMass Football Discussion board--who seems to know what it DOESN'T take to win at UMass...

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:13 pm

dennisdent wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:59 pm
dennisdent wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:27 pm I also have a feeling that this is a tryout for Miller. He's the same age as Bell (37) and really would be a great fit for the program. He loves UMass(this does matter); has the DMV (DC/MD/VA) connections; coached at Oregon under Chip Kelly; salary wouldn't be an issue. He sounded like a future head coach today in Bamford's ZOOM meeting. He knows what it takes to win in Amherst and I think he could build back the toughness/blue collar mentality to the program. He would have the full support of the football alums/donors/administration.

- First - NOBODY knows what it takes to win in Amherst [at the FBS level]. If this was THAT easy to identify why has it taken so long to find THAT guy
- Second - that statement is Coach Speak 101... sounds really impressive like "Volume Shooter" (sorry Niles) but doesn't actually mean anything

Nobody is going to know who will succeed at Umass until some guy comes in here and actually does it. You can argue that Whip had some level of successful but even what he did here wasn't good enough for the masses.

I hope Miller kills it and keeps the job - but he doesn't know any more or less than any other potential coach "what it takes" to win here.
--If you don't know what it means to win in Amherst (recruiting New England/Northeast/selling the positives of the school as a grad/former player/knowing those who support and fund the program (former players) personally.

--In MY VIEW he did the "coach speak" really well for being thrown into the job at the last minute. Molnar and Bell couldn't do the "coach speak" when they had the job as their own.

"but he doesn't know any more or less than any other potential coach "what it takes" to win here." Say's the anonymous troll on the UMass Football Discussion board--who seems to know what it DOESN'T take to win at UMass...

Careful, Fanboy... that guy is smarter than Shaka Smart, he knows what he is talkin 'bout!
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:30 pm

^ We are what we are!

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:48 pm

dennisdent wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:59 pm

C'mon Dennis..... Just stop.

IDGAF about coach speak - if I did - DK would have been John Wooden

I also don't care where he recruits kids from and neither do the students / fans / media. "Knowing what it takes to win here" is hyperbole at best. Anyone with a pulse knows what it takes... GOOD PLAYERS and some ability to draw up a decent game plan. I would hope that Miller knows what it takes to win here - if he knows that, then he should know how to win ANYWHERE. Good lord.... Walt Bell knows too you know......

I don't know why I let this stuff bother me - I really don't. I have followed Umass for decades through good and really, really bad times. The worst thing that ever ever happened to Umass was Calapari's success. It created a bunch of "fans" who do not understand what reasonable expectations are and think they deserve a perennial tourney team or a 6 win Bowl eligible team just because....

Umass had a legit chance to grab the ball and run with it (no pun intended), instead they made prolifically bad choices (one after another) that these programs may never truly recover from.

Time to take my donations and time wasted on this pathetic Athletic department and look elsewhere for my entertainment.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:35 pm

^ I'll never stop! :D

Almost fifty years of being a UMass sports fan--through the good and bad days and I'll always keep supporting the teams. Been here before Cal and will be here hopefully, when the football team has a winning season again...

I was there at Orr rink the final game before they dropped the hockey team (got some sticks from the players) and to see it win a national championship, will always be something I remember and couldn't believe I would ever see!

Umass_Minuteman
Sophomore

Post by Umass_Minuteman » Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:42 pm

hopefully Bamford has learned his lesson and will fire the next crappy coach he hires after two seasons instead of three.
UConn 59
UMass 61

December 9, 2004
William D. Mullins Center
University of Massachusetts
9,043 on hand (myself included)

TheChamp
Junior

Post by TheChamp » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:29 pm

UMass should take a note from Liberty University's hire of Hugh Freeze who catapulted them to a Top-40 program. If fuckin Liberty University can be this competitive within a couple years of a FCS to FBS move then UMass can be too. Find a proven coach who has something to prove. Someone who maybe made a mistake but deserves a second chance.

Art Briles is a name that comes to mind. Rich Rodriguez...

Mike London too at William and Mary right now. His son Brandon London played here as a WR then with the Giants in the NFL so there's a connection. Bring in Brandon too to coach the Receivers

Another name: Bill Kavanaugh at Bentley. 8-1 this year and just had a 13 game win streak broken. Mass. native. Former Recruiting coordinator at Penn State so you know he has Northeast Connections. Coached under JoePa and Bill O'Brien. Young guy, has the coaching lineage. His dad William Kavanaugh former Hall of Fame coach at UMass-Dartmouth. Could be an up and comer. Hired as a 31 year old at Bentley in 2013, so has 8 years HC experience. Runs a modern offense that has put up big numbers this year.
Last edited by TheChamp on Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:24 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:52 pm

Liberty is a private school with a lot of money.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:41 pm

TheChamp wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:29 pm UMass should take a note from Liberty University's hire of Hugh Freeze who catapulted them to a Top-40 program. If fuckin Liberty University can be this competitive within a couple years of a FCS to FBS move then UMass can be too. Find a proven coach who has something to prove. Someone who maybe made a mistake but deserves a second chance.

Art Briles is a name that comes to mind. Rich Rodriguez...

Mike London too at William and Mary right now. His son Brandon London played here as a WR then with the Giants in the NFL so there's a connection. Bring in Brandon too to coach the Receivers

Another name: Bill Kavanaugh at Bentley. 8-1 this year and just had a 13 game win streak broken. Mass. native. Former Recruiting coordinator at Penn State so you know he has Northeast Connections. Coached under JoePa and Bill O'Brien. Young guy, has the coaching lineage. His dad William Kavanaugh former Hall of Fame coach at UMass-Dartmouth. Could be an up and comer. Hired as a 31 year old at Bentley in 2013, so has 8 years HC experience. Runs a modern offense that has put up big numbers this year.
Don't use Liberty as a reference for anything remotely comparable to UMass. Liberty is a private university located down South connected with an evangelical church. They have more money than God. UMass on the other hand......

We can actually win and I thought after the SIU game that Bell was in over his head. I called him Molnar 2.0 and Gomer. I think we beat Maine Saturday and have a shot at NMSU. If we are going to spend 800k this time around on a HC, then I think we have a legit shot at a decent HC. Don Brown or someone like that.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:45 pm

Umass_Minuteman wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:42 pm hopefully Bamford has learned his lesson and will fire the next crappy coach he hires after two seasons instead of three.
Not so sure we get another P5 OC who has never been a HC at any level. Bamford is going to get some input on who to hire. I would like the next guy to be from the Northeast, over 40, HC somewhere FCS, D2, D3.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:22 pm

Actually Bamford does not select the coach by himself. There is a search committee made up of about 12 people.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:30 pm

^ Maybe that's the problem!

For the search committee, if there is one, I hope that some of the folks are from outside our cocoon. I nominate Rene Ingoglia - former outstanding player here, broadcasting all around the country, and expressed his love of UMass on twitter just today.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:32 pm

Berkman wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:22 pm Actually Bamford does not select the coach by himself. There is a search committee made up of about 12 people.
Bamford selects the search committee. Bamford has the final decision and will select the coach, make no mistake about that!!

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:46 pm

Old Cage wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:30 pm ^ Maybe that's the problem!

For the search committee, if there is one, I hope that some of the folks are from outside our cocoon. I nominate Rene Ingoglia - former outstanding player here, broadcasting all around the country, and expressed his love of UMass on twitter just today.
Rene and James Ihedibo.
I enjoyed Rene’s session with the New England Football report last night.