New UMass Football Coach 2021

Get ready for some MACtion
wmmmfan
Senior

Re: New UMass Football Coach 2021

Post by wmmmfan » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:25 pm

My Christmas wish is now full filled, a real college football coaching staff at the Flagship!

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:18 pm

I feel good about this hire after reading this article. Have to admit I knew nothing about him until today.
https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/2021/1 ... umass.html

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:33 pm

Looks like a good hire.. a real offensive analytic mind.. gotta really like this staff and they way Michigan has played on offense this year is very similar to how UMass used to play.. strong running game... When he was the OC at Ferris State their QB ran for 1400 yards and threw for 27 TD's 😳.. They had one of the best offenses in all of D2.. I'm thinking they may be going after a dual-threat QB in the portal.

Worcester_To_Amherst
Senior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:02 am

The more this staff fills out the sillier the Walt Bell hire seems. Going for an inexperienced coach with little to no northeast connections who’s biggest appeal is recruiting was insane. Did Bamford think Bell was going to use his recruiting prowess to build up a critical mass of talent at the independent FBS school in Amherst?

This new staff looks to be built on experience and and/or connections to New England football. No used car salesmen. I’m hoping they can use these connections to identify some high character recruits who have leadership potential. Who was the leader on this past year’s team? I saw they offered the center of Springfield Central and it was his first offer even tho he’s graduating this spring. I don’t mind using a scholly on a kid who might not be the most talented as long as he’s a hard worker who’s going to contribute to the culture of the program.

They can build a foundation of kids who’ve won at they high school level and want to be 5 years guys at UMass. That’s going to give the team an identity. The only identity they had under Bell was a nationwide laughingstock. Keep building the foundation of solid kids who work hard, bring in some transfers who want to play right away, and put a team on the field the fans and alumni can be proud of.

UMass1991
Junior

Post by UMass1991 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:25 am

I think Bell was hired because of the $ the school was willing to invest in the HC and staff. Possibly Bamford again loved the OC from a P5 program

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:57 am

^ The thing is that Bell's and his staff's salary were fine compared to MAC and other lower level G5 programs. Bamford just royally messed up the hire of Bell and Bell just added to it by hiring his friends and the one UMass connection wasn't even a coach at the time! Bell/Bamford tried to fix it but it was too late--Bell just can't lead or coach.
Last edited by dennisdent on Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:04 pm

Worcester_To_Amherst wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:02 am The more this staff fills out the sillier the Walt Bell hire seems. Going for an inexperienced coach with little to no northeast connections who’s biggest appeal is recruiting was insane. Did Bamford think Bell was going to use his recruiting prowess to build up a critical mass of talent at the independent FBS school in Amherst?

This new staff looks to be built on experience and and/or connections to New England football. No used car salesmen. I’m hoping they can use these connections to identify some high character recruits who have leadership potential. Who was the leader on this past year’s team? I saw they offered the center of Springfield Central and it was his first offer even tho he’s graduating this spring. I don’t mind using a scholly on a kid who might not be the most talented as long as he’s a hard worker who’s going to contribute to the culture of the program.

They can build a foundation of kids who’ve won at they high school level and want to be 5 years guys at UMass. That’s going to give the team an identity. The only identity they had under Bell was a nationwide laughingstock. Keep building the foundation of solid kids who work hard, bring in some transfers who want to play right away, and put a team on the field the fans and alumni can be proud of.
Great post! This program has been leaderless for the past three years, both at the coaching and player level--and that's all on Bell/Bamford! We knew who Whip's leaders were: Young, Isabella, Rodgers, Breneman, to name a few.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:03 pm

Worcester_To_Amherst wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:02 am The more this staff fills out the sillier the Walt Bell hire seems. Going for an inexperienced coach with little to no northeast connections who’s biggest appeal is recruiting was insane. Did Bamford think Bell was going to use his recruiting prowess to build up a critical mass of talent at the independent FBS school in Amherst?

I called Bell Gomer and Molnar 2.0 after the SIU game and was called "mean spirited, etc". He was so over his head it is ridiculous.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:05 pm

dennisdent wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:04 pm

Great post! This program has been leaderless for the past three years, both at the coaching and player level--and that's all on Bell/Bamford! We knew who Whip's leaders were: Young, Isabella, Rodgers, Breneman, to name a few.
very happy Bam hired DB. He got this one right (and Carvel, too.).

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:23 pm

Meet and Greet with Coach Brown at the UMass Club in February!
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:04 pm

Few new hire announcements... Running Backs and Outside Linebacker coaches:

https://twitter.com/UMassFootball/statu ... 32494?s=20

https://twitter.com/UMassFootball/statu ... 78979?s=20
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:27 pm

Looks like another excellent hire:

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/ ... -dudzinski

https://www.ferrisstatebulldogs.com/spo ... _Partridge

What a change in coaching staffs! From unqualified GAs on Bell's first staff, to adults who have been successful head coaches, with careers on the way up in coaching!

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:54 pm

Looks like he is getting experienced assistant coaches.

UMassNet15
Freshman

Post by UMassNet15 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:21 pm

UMass becoming a destination for *successful* HS prep coaches is an approach I’m fairly certain we’ve never tried before. Fwiw, I love it. Talented high school coaches hungry for wins all together with veteran coaches in one room? Man to be a fly on the wall… Go U!
"#Flagship"

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:58 pm

Just saw this - more about Partridge:

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildca ... 585fe.html
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."