21%
Hold out for a Sun Belt FB offer hope
No votes

Total votes: 28

e_parade
Senior

Re: If a FB only inquiry is made to UMass - your preference

Post by e_parade » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:20 am

The only difference now would be UCONN also doesn't have a home for football, and would be an even more desirable get for Basketball home and home schedule than either Temple or UMass ever were. So if they decide to expand back east again it would be because of that.

Not counting on it though, unless something drastic happens. The most likely drastic thing that would happen that could lead to a FB only invite would be CUSA being torn to shreds.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:55 am

Rolling Ridge will say in part what-parade has said. That we have made significant improvements to our facilities, aka IPF, videoboard and recruiting and roster are trending upward. Then for the slight chance that Buffalo is invited to the AAC, we'd be a quick plug in and it's easier to have an unbalance schedule in other sports for the MAC.

Will also note that considering our future schedule, it would be the easiest for us to adjust.
https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/umass/
Go UMass!!

Rolling Ridge
Junior

Post by Rolling Ridge » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:37 pm

Thanks e_parade and Steve 81! MAC still seems quite unlikely to me, but I have a better sense of what dominoes likely have to fall for it to happen.

DrG
Senior

Post by DrG » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:06 pm

I think UMass, UConn and Temple need to put their heads together and talk about options for some kind of Northeastern football-only arrangement. These are three large public universities in the region with the most on the line. The AAC is about to go on life support which obviously impacts Temple, while there are serious questions about the viability and sustainability of UMass and UConn football as independents. I agree the A10 has no interest in hosting FB again so it would need to be something else. I don't know what the answer is, or even if there is an answer. But there needs to be some serious discussion among these three institutions.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:35 pm

I like the idea of a football partnership that includes UConn and Temple. Then they just have to find around 5 more to fill out a conference. They could call it "The Eastern Eight". :lol: :lol: :lol:

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:37 pm

DrG, while the AAC will take a serious hit and perhaps another down the road, think Temple will stay put as there is no reason to team up with UConn, which would always be football only. There are east coast teams in the AAC and their travel is not horrendous and they will have a decent revenue, perhaps more MAC like in the future. Assuming your preference is the all sports G5 conference option.
Go UMass!!

jpatsfan
Junior

Post by jpatsfan » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:09 pm

The AAC is done they just don't know it yet. I mean what can they replace UCF, Houston and Cincy with, sloppy seconds from CUSA or some coastal Sun Belt team? The AAC will fall apart and the next piece will be Memphis.

It's a shame the A10 does not want to bring back football, realignment could be a real opportunity for them. Invite back Temple, add Memphis, ODU, USF, Buffalo and Wichita state. Add Army, Navy and Liberty as FB only. ConnU only gets in as a full member. Now the A10 has FBS football and basketball powers in their conference.

Too bad they won't do it. Opportunities like this don't come around often. UMass and ConnU should team up and stand pat for the moment.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:34 am

DrG wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:06 pm I think UMass, UConn and Temple need to put their heads together and talk about options for some kind of Northeastern football-only arrangement. These are three large public universities in the region with the most on the line. The AAC is about to go on life support which obviously impacts Temple, while there are serious questions about the viability and sustainability of UMass and UConn football as independents. I agree the A10 has no interest in hosting FB again so it would need to be something else. I don't know what the answer is, or even if there is an answer. But there needs to be some serious discussion among these three institutions.
You are aware the Temple, UMass and UConn are considered in the bottom 10 of all college football by most outlets who rate these kinds of things. I get the need to generate some rivalries and all, but this triumvirate would be the perennial contenders for the Mike Lindell Pillow Fight Bowl.