21%
Hold out for a Sun Belt FB offer hope
No votes

Total votes: 28

Steve81
Hall of Fame

If a FB only inquiry is made to UMass - your preference

Post by Steve81 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:30 pm

If a FB only inquiry is made to UMass - vote your preference.
Personally trying to gauge if both the MAC and a very water down CUSA send inquires, which would you prefer.
It is speculated that Marshall, ODU will be gone as well as others.

Do not think the AAC will offer a FB only or the Sunbelt, but included them as well as staying independent or going all in to a conference as say the AAC.

I'm torn as think there is a realistic chance CUSA will send an inquire but think the MAC is more compact, but less likely to go through.
Going to hold off voting for sometime and did not put an expiration days on the poll.
Go UMass!!

McKinney
Senior

Re: If a FB only inquiry is made to UMass - your preference

Post by McKinney » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:38 pm

What's the difference between "stay independent" and "wait for the right conference"?
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:53 pm

McKinney wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:38 pm What's the difference between "stay independent" and "wait for the right conference"?
I would assume not joining any conference EVER, over exactly what the question asked...

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:39 pm

It depends on who ends up where really. A MAC with Buffalo is more fun for UMass that without (especially if it's a UMass/UCONN football only combo). A CUSA that loses more of its eastern schools would be less appealing as well. If the MAC stays as is, and CUSA is heavily taken apart, I might prefer the MAC for football only.

That being said, if we're given a football only invite to a conference, we should take it.

scorpio

Post by scorpio » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:10 pm

I would have liked to have seen UMass become a power within the MAC the first time around. If given the opportunity as a football only member a 2nd time, I say take it. They have similar size stadiums/resources. UMass needs to build the program over several years.

Rolling Ridge
Junior

Post by Rolling Ridge » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:12 am

Tricky question. Obviously my *hope* is that we found a G5 conference for all sports, but if a FB only option came today, do I think we should consider it?

I don't realistically think the MAC or Sun Belt will offer UMass a FB only membership. If they did, we should consider it, and my preference would be for the MAC because it's a somewhat better geographic fit and I think we have a better chance of being successful in that conference. CUSA I'm more on the fence about. It's not a good geographic fit, and I don't see the upside of being associated with those teams like I do with the MAC or Sun Belt.

It's almost impossible to assess the AAC given their state of flux, and they aren't going to invite us anyway, so I sort of omitted them.

I honestly thought the MAC was an OK place for football. I understand and basically support why we left, but I wish we'd have been able to stay FB only members of that conference. I'd be OK if we wound up there, but I truly don't think it'll happen.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:29 am

^

Agreed... wish the MAC hadn't triggered that clause and kept us as FB only.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:34 am

Staying MAC FB only would have been great. As far as the football-only conference options go it's still probably the best fit. Especially if Buffalo is still there and if they'd take UMass with UConn.

But I don't think UMass should tie itself down to an all-sports conference that doesn't make sense from a competitive, geographic, or media perspective. So if MAC football-only is still not an option, I'd lean towards staying independent for now and waiting until maybe some spots open up.

I may even consider MAC all sports a good option if they could convince URI to be the olympic sports partner to UConn's football. It'd also be great if the MAC media contract allowed UMass to keep Tier II rights for simulcast on NESN.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:03 am

The MAC today, especially the East Division is nowhere near as strong as it was when UMass was in it. UMass would be much more competitive today with MAC East teams then the present schedule. Whip was hired on to coach in the MAC and I think going Independent was too much for him.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:13 am

The AAC FB only or all sports is the most desirable to me, but not likely.
The MAC FB only is possible and would be fine with it.
CUSA seems likely but do not like what is left. Would not complain and be ok with accepting it.

Just voted for the MAC as there are teams I like and less travel than those Texas teams in CUSA plus the AAC seems like a prayer. Could be and like to be wrong about AAC. Think the old Big East hybrid model experience puts a negative feeling on football only adds. There are teams that we should be on par with but they have geography as that puts them ahead of us. Their commissioner claims geography will not be a limiting factor, but as a tie breaker and president votes think it maters. So the MAC is possible and like it better than what's left with CUSA. Now possible is not likely so would be ok accepting a CUSA bid.
Go UMass!!

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:10 am

Bring A-10 football back. Marshal old dominon joins A-10 as well as temple. army uconn navy liberty football only

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:30 am

It will never happen. The A10 has no interest in football. When Fordham was added, they where allowed to keep their football behind in the Patriot league. 13 years ago posted this after a bleacherreport.com article. Atlantic 10 Football: Coming Soon to a Stadium Near You! with 160 posts from the A10 forum board.
Go UMass!!

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:51 am

Well we all know what Maz would say - wait for the B1G! That is happening when Maz? Oh yes - NEVER.

Anyways, any FB only invite should be entertained, even if it is the WAC. Umass desperately needs a set schedule of 8 - 10 games as it will become harder and harder to schedule decent games as an Indy.

I am very split on any all sport moves that are not at least a lateral move for basketball. Football drives the conversation for real upward conference movement and the likelihood of UMass commanding P5 status will not happen in my lifetime (and I am still in my 40's). That drags basketball backwards - which may be OK, but it kills any long standing rivalries like Rhody and when hoops is not that good, those games are the only thing to look forward to in the winter.

I still support the program as and FBS wannabe, but I would not be crushed if they went back to FCS either.

Rolling Ridge
Junior

Post by Rolling Ridge » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:00 am

Steve81 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:13 am The MAC FB only is possible and would be fine with it.
Out of curiosity, what do you feel has changed that would make the MAC want us as FB only today versus a few years ago? It just doesn't make sense to me that they'd force our hand and then do a 180 and let us back in. But I don't follow this stuff super closely, so it's entirely possible I'm missing something.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:02 am

^

I don't think they will for FB only. Something drastic in the landscape would have to change, and I doubt we would sign the same agreement again, which I'd imagine they would want that clause a part of it again if so.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades