Game Three: EMU

Get ready for some MACtion
dennisdent
Senior

Re: Game Three: EMU

Post by dennisdent » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:37 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:23 am
dennisdent wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:07 am ^ "Don't hate Bell" but he hasn't shown any ability to be a head coach of an FBS program. The EMU head coach made Bell looked stupid in the first QT of game.

"No one called them guaranteed wins." Wrong! Yes the ZooMass did:

"We win in a couple weeks: beat UConn." That's not being overconfident??? :roll:

My mistake, missed that post. Either way, that's a fan, not the program saying it. It's still a winnable game. And yes, you do hate Bell.. you've been extremely clear about that. It's ok, you can own it.
Not sure why you involved yourself between ZooMass and myself but whatever floats your boat... :lol:

I hate 1 - 18!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:03 am

dennisdent wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:37 am

Not sure why you involved yourself between ZooMass and myself but whatever floats your boat... :lol:

I hate 1 - 18!

It's a message board... that happens daily here. :roll:
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

cox'n
Junior

Post by cox'n » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:09 am

LS71 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:22 am Mistakes and mental errors…let’s fix those and the rest will take care of itself.
I agree. I watched the game on TV, so had benefit of multiple replays. No coach teaches kids to to make stupid mistakes. For me, the jury is still out on Bell, but having to play so many young and inexperienced guys certainly makes his job tougher. How the those young guys progress as the season goes on will tell us a lot about the teaching ability of Bell and his coaching staff.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:45 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:03 am
dennisdent wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:37 am

I hate 1 - 18!

It's a message board... that happens daily here. :roll:
You being Long, I mean wrong, that happens daily here. :wink:

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:06 pm

dennisdent wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:45 am

You being Long, I mean wrong, that happens daily here. :wink:

Got it, thanks!
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:26 pm

cox'n wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:09 am
LS71 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:22 am Mistakes and mental errors…let’s fix those and the rest will take care of itself.
No coach teaches kids to to make stupid mistakes.
Agreed. I’m certainly no expert on how to do it, but I’d like to see the staff work to help players with their focus so there are fewer penalties…like the one running into the punter. I know he was going for the block but that one really hurt the team. They had a little mo going, especially since they had just gotten the ball back after coughing it up and holding them to a 3 and out. I thought..they’re in this one with a legit chance to win it. That penalty killed that chance IMO.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Rolling Ridge
Junior

Post by Rolling Ridge » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:17 pm

LS71 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:26 pm
cox'n wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:09 am
No coach teaches kids to to make stupid mistakes.
Agreed. I’m certainly no expert on how to do it, but I’d like to see the staff work to help players with their focus so there are fewer penalties…like the one running into the punter. I know he was going for the block but that one really hurt the team. They had a little mo going, especially since they had just gotten the ball back after coughing it up and holding them to a 3 and out. I thought..they’re in this one with a legit chance to win it. That penalty killed that chance IMO.
The running into the kicker penalty was a bummer, but they got the ball back on the very next play in probably better field position than they'd have had on the punt. They were then driving to score and the receiver fumbled around the EMU 15 yard line. It was that fumble that destroyed the momentum, not the penalty. In fact, I was gratified how the defense rallied and continued to hustle after that gaffe, but the fumble definitely took it's toll.

I agree with you, they were both mental errors, and these are the things I'd expect the coaching staff to work on with the players. However, I feel as if our overall penalties have dropped this year, especially on things like illegal motion, off-sides, and particularly stupid unsportsmanlike conduct penalties that really killed us in the Whipple era. Sure, there's still some of that happening (and it probably always will, no team commits zero penalties), but I feel like discipline is far better this year under Bell than I've seen in a long time. Obviously, we need to see how that plays out over the rest of the season, but for me it's an area I consider improved so far.

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:26 pm

You guys have no market on misery. Just visited the FSU board. They are 0-3, first time since 1976. Oh, the misery.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:51 pm

Rolling Ridge wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:17 pm
LS71 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:26 pm
cox'n wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:09 am No coach teaches kids to to make stupid mistakes.
The running into the kicker penalty was a bummer, but they got the ball back on the very next play in probably better field position than they'd have had on the punt. They were then driving to score and the receiver fumbled around the EMU 15 yard line. It was that fumble that destroyed the momentum, not the penalty. In fact, I was gratified how the defense rallied and continued to hustle after that gaffe, but the fumble definitely took it's toll.

I agree with you, they were both mental errors, and these are the things I'd expect the coaching staff to work on with the players. However, I feel as if our overall penalties have dropped this year, especially on things like illegal motion, off-sides, and particularly stupid unsportsmanlike conduct penalties that really killed us in the Whipple era. Sure, there's still some of that happening (and it probably always will, no team commits zero penalties), but I feel like discipline is far better this year under Bell than I've seen in a long time. Obviously, we need to see how that plays out over the rest of the season, but for me it's an area I consider improved so far.
Your memory is better than mine. I had the sequence of events wrong. I’m with you 100%.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:46 pm

dennisdent wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:48 am
ZooMass84 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:19 am
dennisdent wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:50 pm

Are you trying to jinx the team--don't they have enough problems already! This team could be so beat up by the time we get to the UConn game they are playing one of the tight ends at QB...
No jinx: UConn really sucks...worse than us. 2 games to go then UConn and 3 winnable games UMaine, URI, NMSU. All the teams are beat up
You need to watch more football!

UConn played a freshmen QB who looked really good--he can run and pass. Maine had a nice win over Merrimack (who beat Holy Cross, who beat UConn). URI is very healthy and dominated Brown to go 3 - 0, with two really good QBs. NMSU is starting a new QB who is playing well and putting up points and yards (sound familiar).

UMass basically has to score 50 points to win any game this season...
OK, if based on your logic we go 0-12, then we are the most pitiful FBS team in history. I just don’t see that happening. Lytle was not stretchered off the field in the Pitt game, neither was Kay’Ron Adams. O ye of little faith

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:38 pm

II did not get to watch the game. Somewhere I read that we are down to one scholarship running back. Are there any other options for a running back?

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:59 pm

ZooMass84 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:46 pm
dennisdent wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:48 am
ZooMass84 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:19 am
No jinx: UConn really sucks...worse than us. 2 games to go then UConn and 3 winnable games UMaine, URI, NMSU. All the teams are beat up
You need to watch more football!

UConn played a freshmen QB who looked really good--he can run and pass. Maine had a nice win over Merrimack (who beat Holy Cross, who beat UConn). URI is very healthy and dominated Brown to go 3 - 0, with two really good QBs. NMSU is starting a new QB who is playing well and putting up points and yards (sound familiar).

UMass basically has to score 50 points to win any game this season...
OK, if based on your logic we go 0-12, then we are the most pitiful FBS team in history. I just don’t see that happening. Lytle was not stretchered off the field in the Pitt game, neither was Kay’Ron Adams. O ye of little faith
O ye of too much faith! Never wrote 0 - 12, just saying not to count any game for UMass football this season as a win. You were the one who disparaged EMU for only having three first downs against UW (thanks for the bad karma!)...They had 26 against UMass and punted once...Never wrote anything about Lytle or Adams, not sure where that came from.

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:26 pm

Roadtrip wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:26 pm You guys have no market on misery. Just visited the FSU board. They are 0-3, first time since 1976. Oh, the misery.
FSU is 3-0, not 0-3.

Oh wait, you're talking about the other FSU...
I was looking at the real FSU...
https://frostburgsports.com/sports/foot ... edule/2021

I only know this because that is my wife's school. She's more of a football fan than me.