Game Three: EMU

Get ready for some MACtion
Worcester_To_Amherst
Senior

Re: Game Three: EMU

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:12 pm

rayers wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:00 am Frustrating game with the self inflicted drops, turnovers and porous D but the team is getting better. Talked to some players and families after the game. They really seem to like Bell and feel they are heading in a good direction. Injuries and youth are two areas that really hurt but time will improve both. I am not happy at all but I am hopeful.

If that’s a majority opinion amongst players and family that’s really positive. As poor as the play has been under Bell, the most important thing he’s had to do is build a legit FBS roster. I don’t think it’s there yet, but it’s significantly closer than it was in 2019 and 2020.

The team needs to start winning but it also can’t have another roster blowup. If Bell can keep building the roster and not lose too many players to turnover, he’s going to buy himself some more time to figure it out.

They need to clean up the back breaking plays like the drop for the INT, roughing the kicker, and the brutal fumble. Will never win with 3 plays like that in a game when you’re UMass.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:44 am

Felt like momentum was swinging our way until the penalty running into the punter. UMass never recovered.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:19 am

dennisdent wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:50 pm
ZooMass84 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:28 pm
dennisdent wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:50 pm Olson is a talent and the O line has really improved but the team and coaches make far too many mistakes--dropped passes, fumbles, penalties, stupid calls (block punt), missed tackles, blown coverages, to say they have improved.
We win in a couple weeks: beat UConn. We beat the spread this week and last.
Are you trying to jinx the team--don't they have enough problems already! This team could be so beat up by the time we get to the UConn game they are playing one of the tight ends at QB...
No jinx: UConn really sucks...worse than us. 2 games to go then UConn and 3 winnable games UMaine, URI, NMSU. All the teams are beat up

Rolling Ridge
Junior

Post by Rolling Ridge » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:35 am

LS71 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:44 am Felt like momentum was swinging our way until the penalty running into the punter. UMass never recovered.
That hurt, but they wound up getting the ball back on the next play with a turnover in great field position. Then our receiver fumbled after the catch, and that was basically it. Had they scored there, it would have brought the game to within 7 points in the 3rd quarter, which is decently competitive. Not saying they would have won, but it would have been interesting.

I'm going to assume injuries hurt us on defense. We didn't look as good as we did against BC, so something was clearly wrong. I think they stacked the box and that just gave EMU the ability to throw, but it was pick your poison, and letting them run all over us would have tired out the defense and left us no chance. They did make a couple of critical stops in the 3rd quarter, and had the offense been able to capitalize, the game would have been closer. So I actually think this approach worked, given the givens.

Offense looked pretty good to me. Miscues hurt us, but that will happen with young players and I'm not going to jump down their throats, frustrating as it is. I thought the play calling was pretty good overall, a balanced attack with good ball possession. I know a lot of people wanted more passing and a faster pace toward the end of the game, but I like keeping the balanced approach. I don't want to see Olson getting hung out to dry back there and potentially getting hurt, it's just not worth it at this stage in a game that was really beyond reach by then.

It was a bummer about the injuries, and this will be a major issue going forward if they can't get healthy. Without those, however, I think this game would have been more competitive, and potentially winnable.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:48 am

ZooMass84 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:19 am
dennisdent wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:50 pm
ZooMass84 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:28 pm
We win in a couple weeks: beat UConn. We beat the spread this week and last.
Are you trying to jinx the team--don't they have enough problems already! This team could be so beat up by the time we get to the UConn game they are playing one of the tight ends at QB...
No jinx: UConn really sucks...worse than us. 2 games to go then UConn and 3 winnable games UMaine, URI, NMSU. All the teams are beat up
You need to watch more football!

UConn played a freshmen QB who looked really good--he can run and pass. Maine had a nice win over Merrimack (who beat Holy Cross, who beat UConn). URI is very healthy and dominated Brown to go 3 - 0, with two really good QBs. NMSU is starting a new QB who is playing well and putting up points and yards (sound familiar).

UMass basically has to score 50 points to win any game this season...

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:58 am

S/he said "winnable games"... no reason to jump down his/her throat over that.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:02 am

The UConn qb may end up being good.. but a 42% completion percentage for 109 yards and a pick isn't what I would call "Really Good". It did look like he can move a bit though. They still suck.. unfortunately even given that.. the game is no gimmie! Maine and URI will be decent but if we are relatively healthy we should win both.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:18 am

TheInsider wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:02 am The UConn qb may end up being good.. but a 42% completion percentage for 109 yards and a pick isn't what I would call "Really Good". It did look like he can move a bit though. They still suck.. unfortunately even given that.. the game is no gimmie! Maine and URI will be decent but if we are relatively healthy we should win both.
He had some drops by the receivers, but put the ball where it needed to be. It was his first college game as a true freshman against a really good Army defense.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:22 am

Shore up the D and protect the ball a bit more and we might have something here. We sure as hell aren't good enough to be digging out of 14 point holes every game.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:27 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:58 am S/he said "winnable games"... no reason to jump down his/her throat over that.
He/she/they/it/other, knows I'm messing with them, but:

UMass football, as of today, has no right to call any game "winnable." Other then the Akron game, this program hasn't been close in the fourth quarter in any other game since Bell has been the head coach.

All the other coaches watch the game videos and see UMass's weaknesses and exploit them, just as EMU did in the first QT of last week's game. Bell and staff have been outcoached since he has been here. UConn just brought on Noel Mazzone (former O coordinator in the SEC) to their staff...

Can't believe I'm sort of defending the Con's but UMass is the last football program to be overconfident.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:57 am

dennisdent wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:27 am

He/she/they/it/other, knows I'm messing with them, but:

UMass football, as of today, has no right to call any game "winnable." Other then the Akron game, this program hasn't been close in the fourth quarter in any other game since Bell has been the head coach.

All the other coaches watch the game videos and see UMass's weaknesses and exploit them, just as EMU did in the first QT of last week's game. Bell and staff have been outcoached since he has been here. UConn just brought on Noel Mazzone (former O coordinator in the SEC) to their staff...

Can't believe I'm sort of defending the Con's but UMass is the last football program to be overconfident.

Yeah, we know, you hate Bell. Those games previously mentioned are winnable games for this team... that's not being over confident, that's just being accurate. No one called them guaranteed wins.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:07 am

^ "Don't hate Bell" but he hasn't shown any ability to be a head coach of an FBS program. The EMU head coach made Bell looked stupid in the first QT of game.

"No one called them guaranteed wins." Wrong! Yes the ZooMass did:

"We win in a couple weeks: beat UConn." That's not being overconfident??? :roll:

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:12 am

Bell and the offensive staff has done a good job so far this year. On D I think they should let Jim Reid do some game planning. Not sure why we are playing this soft zone when the defensive backfield is supposed to be a strength of the team... When you guard against getting beat deep by giving up 20 yard plays down the middle it doesn't really matter.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:22 am

Mistakes and mental errors…let’s fix those and the rest will take care of itself.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:23 am

dennisdent wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:07 am ^ "Don't hate Bell" but he hasn't shown any ability to be a head coach of an FBS program. The EMU head coach made Bell looked stupid in the first QT of game.

"No one called them guaranteed wins." Wrong! Yes the ZooMass did:

"We win in a couple weeks: beat UConn." That's not being overconfident??? :roll:

My mistake, missed that post. Either way, that's a fan, not the program saying it. It's still a winnable game. And yes, you do hate Bell.. you've been extremely clear about that. It's ok, you can own it.