Game two: BC

Get ready for some MACtion
Rolling Ridge
Junior

Re: Game two: BC

Post by Rolling Ridge » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:32 pm

It isn't often that I walk out of a 45-28 loss with a big smile on my face. Not going to say this was perfect, but it was so incredibly better than I'd feared it would be that I find myself really pleased. Great crowd, beautiful weather, UMass wearing uniforms that look like UMass, and aside from some mental gaffs and being outgunned, our guys played a spirited and competitive game that kept me in my seat until the end, after figuring I'd be bailing in the 3rd quarter. We demolished that 37 point spread against BC, and for me that's a major victory.

Tons of areas to improve, including coaching, but right now I'm focused on the positives that today's game delivered. And I'm hoping beyond hope this is a sign that we are, dare I say it, improving.

Go UMass!

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:46 pm

^ You need to change your helmet avatar to the white helmets :D ! I can't stand those maroon ones!!!

Rolling Ridge
Junior

Post by Rolling Ridge » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:49 pm

dennisdent wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:46 pm ^ You need to change your helmet avatar to the white helmets :D ! I can't stand those maroon ones!!!
I do too. I was trying to be supportive when this was the thing, but I'm taking your advice and will look for a better avatar immediately! Thanks for the wake up call! :D

Update... done!

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:57 pm

LOOKS GREAT!I hope they never wear the maroon ones again!

Rolling Ridge
Junior

Post by Rolling Ridge » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:02 pm

dennisdent wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:57 pm LOOKS GREAT!I hope they never wear the maroon ones again!
Couldn't agree more! 8)

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:33 pm

Just checking in. Great game - UMASS is obviously improved in all facets. Beautiful day to watch a great college football game. Very impressed with our Offensive and defensive lines. True Frosh Brady Olson at QB threw for 3 TDS - he's is going to be a legit QB. Our DL looked good against a talented BC OL In Particular Devin Baldwin was wrecking the BC OL and pressuring their QB. This was a good day for UMASS football - we are obviously improved. Credit to Coach Bell. Hopefully we can keep getting better. :D I think that we can - very high hopes

Also they wore the correct Uniforms today - Maroon and white - why is this even a discussion ????????

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:00 am

I had a feeling we were finally going to look like an actual FBS team. A couple more plays and UMass may have won the game.. gotta score a TD first and goal from the one and the second interception was a foot lower from being a TD. Obviously the punt returner fumble was bad, but we got one too. I think we are going to see Olson in there most of the time and I do like mixing in Wise a few plays.

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:44 am

The loss was impressive enough to get the team out of the 130 spot in theCBS poll. Up two spots, ahead of Akron and UCon.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:09 am

Couldn't be happier even though we lost. 4 TD's against a P5 team and beat the spread!!!! Way to go Coach Bell

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:29 am

I know what Bell said post-game, but there is no way that I change quarterbacks. Olson in the second half was way above expectations. Screw the redshirt talk. The Martians may have landed by his fifth year. We NEED confidence and wins RIGHT NOW!
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:49 am

Old Cage wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:29 am The Martians may have landed by his fifth year. We NEED confidence and wins RIGHT NOW!
Lots to be excited about for a change. Agree that Olson seems like a gem. For a true freshman to step in and perform as he did-WOW! His performance was sublime. With FBS in such a flux, no one has any idea what UMASS football will look like in five years. Congrats Coach Bell, QB Olson and all the Minutemen! GO UMASS FOOTBALL!

Love the Maroon tops with white pants- that should be UMASS' uniform at home always!!! Don't like the cursive U.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:38 am

Old Cage wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:29 am I know what Bell said post-game, but there is no way that I change quarterbacks. Olson in the second half was way above expectations. Screw the redshirt talk. The Martians may have landed by his fifth year. We NEED confidence and wins RIGHT NOW!
Totally agree! Lytle hasn't done anything to show that he is QB1. Olson has a faster release and is much more mobile then Lytle, which with the inexperience of the UMass line will keep him from getting beat up like Lytle did in the Pitt game. CCU and Toledo are really good teams and it is best that UMass have a mobile QB,

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:52 am

I was really impressed with Olson yesterday. Didn't get rattled, moves around well, very good arm and aside from a couple throws, looked very good. Whoever earns it should start, but I think getting Brady as much experience as possible is a great thing.

Merriweather and Adams will get some yardage this season. Both strong kids that can move. As the line gets more cohesion, they'll rip off some big gains. Thought the OLine looked MUCH better, and I anticipate Alex Miller will really improve that unit

DB's had some nice hits yesterday too. Love seeing that aggressiveness

First UMass football game I've enjoyed watching in 3-4 yrs. Keep it going guys.
Time to Win

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:21 am

Lytle hasn't shown much because he had a Pitt guy in his face after about a second and a half. If he did get it off there was a good chance the wr dropped it. If healthy Lytle starts. Olson looked good and if Lytle falters then you play olson.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:26 pm

Attendance was within the usual 7.5k if bad weather, 12k if good weather, even with the name Power 5 local opponent.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/g ... /401282623

We'll see if the above excitement, agree that they played much better, translates to fannies in chairs for EMU. That game is on NESN+ and 'Flo Sports'.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...