Conference Realignment

Get ready for some MACtion
stevemaz
Senior

Re: Realignment: Texas/OK->SEC; UCF, BYU, Ciny,Houston->BigXII-dominos

Post by stevemaz » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:22 am

here is a great idea.. along my idea of relegation.. i love it.

https://www.si.com/college/arkansas/hog ... kansas-usc

Uminuteman
Senior

Post by Uminuteman » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:44 am

Love it!! And it fixes our conference (or lack thereof) issue.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:24 pm

yes it does.. and i think could lead a new all other sports conference. Take best 7 or 8 from A10 and bolt adding the likes of Temple, Wichita St, east Carolina perhaps..

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:35 am

stevemaz wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:24 pm yes it does.. and i think could lead a new all other sports conference. Take best 7 or 8 from A10 and bolt adding the likes of Temple, Wichita St, east Carolina perhaps..
UMass has NEVER left the A10 going 45 years strong. Not when the Big East sent inquiries while forming and again when more teams left the A10 for the Big East. Not in 1998 when CUSA and the MAC sent inquires. We did not leave the A10 for the MAC all sports in 2012.

IMHO the only hope is football becomes top flight and attractive or a new Chancellor wants us to move. Otherwise we can see from all the drama the past few years. UMass wants to find a conference for football, but we don't want to leave the A10.

The pull for the the A10 is so strong, don't entertain hopes of a all sports move even if Bamford thinks there is something better down the road. Is Boston College pulling for us to be added to the ACC? :lol:

Look at the first part of the post, have the invites over time come from stronger or less strong conferences.

Cheers to a football only invite, which is possible, but history has shown with just a few exceptions, it is an unstable option over time.

Maybe this breakup will give us an opportunity, hope so for our sake.
Go UMass!!

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:18 pm

Steve81 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:35 am
stevemaz wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:24 pm yes it does.. and i think could lead a new all other sports conference. Take best 7 or 8 from A10 and bolt adding the likes of Temple, Wichita St, east Carolina perhaps..
UMass has NEVER left the A10 going 45 years strong. Not when the Big East sent inquiries while forming and again when more teams left the A10 for the Big East. Not in 1998 when CUSA and the MAC sent inquires. We did not leave the A10 for the MAC all sports in 2012.

IMHO the only hope is football becomes top flight and attractive or a new Chancellor wants us to move. Otherwise we can see from all the drama the past few years. UMass wants to find a conference for football, but we don't want to leave the A10.

The pull for the the A10 is so strong, don't entertain hopes of a all sports move even if Bamford thinks there is something better down the road. Is Boston College pulling for us to be added to the ACC? :lol:

Look at the first part of the post, have the invites over time come from stronger or less strong conferences.

Cheers to a football only invite, which is possible, but history has shown with just a few exceptions, it is an unstable option over time.

Maybe this breakup will give us an opportunity, hope so for our sake.
If relegation happens in football then will ACC, B1G, SEC, Etc need to carry all the schools they have now and would we see a move back to original league formats to reduce travel costs for non revenue sports? Could we then see a true Northeast conference again for everything except football?

shizzle787
Freshman

Post by shizzle787 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:20 pm

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... asketball/
Norlander (CBS)- How many teams should be in Division 1?

"This is a big issue and a touchy subject. No one wants to be demoted. If anything, I was surprised more coaches didn't vote to keep D-I the same size. That 53.7% is a good number, but consider the inverse: 46.3% of coaches we polled believe D-I basketball has too many teams. The coaching community is close to split on this issue."

IMO, I also believe the right number of teams is 275. It would allow the NCAA to go back to the 64-team format while actually adding a net of two or three at-larges bids as six or seven conferences would be no more. It would eliminate the schools that have jumped up for the NCAA tournament money but never done anything of note athletically in Division 1 (looking at you, Sacred Heart, Stonehill, and Merrimack). It would also increase the talent level across the D-1 landscape which would in turn elevate a lot of mid-major programs.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Re: It's not always rosy in the Power 5

Post by econalum » Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:21 am

New article on the attendance and financial trials and tribulations of UCLA football. Many sound very familiar, except the winning part.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/11/spor ... =url-share
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

Sheck
Hall of Fame

Post by Sheck » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:39 pm

^
Hard to feel bad for a team that's headed to the Big Ten, but their issues are playing so far away from campus and they have to share the market with a more successful program + two NFL teams.
#maction 🚩#flagship

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:39 pm

There are more parallels than not, especially the Gillette stadium disaster for attendance and/or brand loyalty among current students.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:46 pm

Looks like Oregon and Washington and likely Stanford and Cal are heading to Big Ten. I would think Pac 12 will look primarity to the MW to add (San Diego State, UNLV, Boise State, and maybe Nevada). I would think Pac 12 looks to add Gonzaga and Saint Marys for non fball sports

This would open a potential door for MW additions on the East side of the country.. Like Maybe UMass and Temple with UConn and Army as FB only members.. Then take Dayton, VCU, and a few other A10s for non football sports..

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:53 pm

stevemaz wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:46 pm Looks like Oregon and Washington and likely Stanford and Cal are heading to Big Ten. I would think Pac 12 will look primarity to the MW to add (San Diego State, UNLV, Boise State, and maybe Nevada). I would think Pac 12 looks to add Gonzaga and Saint Marys for non fball sports

This would open a potential door for MW additions on the East side of the country.. Like Maybe UMass and Temple with UConn and Army as FB only members.. Then take Dayton, VCU, and a few other A10s for non football sports..
There's nothing new that's saying this is happening. There was a report that they're thinking about maybe expanding more in the future, but nothing about it gave any sense of a time frame. Hell, the B1G doesn't even currently have a commissioner and a major reason why the last one left is because the Presidents didn't agree with his plan for continued expansion this year.

Could it happen this year? Maybe. Probably not though. If it does eventually happen, there's nothing saying all 4 will be invited, or if it'll be 2 west coast and 2 east coast teams.

Most everything is still speculation at this point.

sbloombe
Junior

Post by sbloombe » Tue May 16, 2023 6:44 am

It's a good time to bump up this thread as the ACC now appears to be on the verge of explosion.

In my view, this development presents the best opportunity UMass has had since joining the FBS to find a long-term home. There's a good chance that most of the conference gets swept up by the SEC, Big 10, and maybe the Big 12, and that a few remaining teams are left to decide what to do. Those teams will almost certainly include BC and Syracuse. We might also see Wake Forest and Duke left without a home given their weaker FB programs (compared to the SEC / Big 10 / Big 12), though that is less certain.

I think there is some chance -- who knows how likely -- that the Big East looks to expand basketball and restart football. They'd certainly want BC, Syracuse, and whoever else is left from the ACC for hoops, and those schools would much prefer to join the existing Big East teams for hoops rather than the AAC. But that leaves the question of what these schools do for football: Independence? AAC for FB only? Neither are very desirable options. A Big East football reboot would make more sense, and it would make sense to include us. That league would also be able to peal off some teams from the existing AAC, I think.

Let's say something like: UConn, BC, UMass, Syracuse, Temple, Army (fb only), Navy (fb only), Memphis, Charlotte, USF, and if they need homes, Duke and Wake Forest. That would make a pretty respectable football conference -- better than the AAC for sure. And, when added to the other Big East basketball schools, would be an outstanding hoops conference.

I hope Bamford is on the phone.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Wed May 17, 2023 7:18 am

No question in my mind that Big East is our best hope. Second option is a reforming of the ACC.

The NCAA should have seen this coming the minute news broke of UCLA and USC to the Big Ten and then separated football from all other sports.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Wed May 17, 2023 7:49 am

I think we are going to see three big conferences with 20-25 schools very soon (Big Ten, SEC, and Big 12). For football each league will divide into 4 divisions which opens the door for extended conference playoffs. I envision 4 divisions of 5 or 6 schools, or perhaps 5 divisions of 5 schools (5 div champ plus one WC make conference playoff). Huge Money under this new format..

Schools in current P5 like BC, Syracuse, WF, Oregon St, Washington St, and a few others have to be holding their collective breathe right now.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Wed May 17, 2023 8:05 am

Things are going to get real crazy.. 20 years from now the vast majority of football "players" will be skrawny ass white guys who control Ai powered robots. LOL.. funny thing is that I am probably right about this.