Conference Realignment

Get ready for some MACtion
Steve81
Hall of Fame

Re: Realignment: Texas/OK->SEC; UCF, BYU, Ciny,Houston->BigXII-dominos

Post by Steve81 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:52 am

Be disgusted if UMass was not working the phones. Perhaps no one is answering. But calling Marshall and ODU after the MAC commissioner for his take. Depending on feed back call Judy. It has to be all sports for if CUSA 8 stays intact. Of course it's the only way in the MAC. If CUSA does not hold Marshall, ODU, WKU etc then FB only is the lower best option that we need to secure.

IDK if UMass is to far out of the footprint or if NMSU would be offered to make UTEP happier and for votes if the east even wants UMass.
Go UMass!!

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:13 pm

In my life time we will not have football and other sports in the same conference, which is said. Looks like 5 are currently left in CUSA and the MAC will probably be taking WKU and MT.
We are so screwed.
Go UMass!!

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:31 pm

On the other hand, if we stay independent we're really no worse off than we've been the last 8 years (once it was announced we weren't staying in the MAC).
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:41 pm

McKinney wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:31 pm On the other hand, if we stay independent we're really no worse off than we've been the last 8 years (once it was announced we weren't staying in the MAC).
We've been terrible, recruiting in the bottom 25 and similar results. Perhaps after this year drop my basketball tickets and stop giving to unrestricted fund if football is still independent. Divide and conquer. Football, Basketball and the rest deserve to be in the same conference. Have other hobbies and don't need to be driving to UMass during the winter.

The last chance is a hard push to the MAC and have them chose us ove Middle Tennessee. A half a$$ attempt will not do it.

I'll continue to give to Gridiron club, perhaps more with the grand savings when including hockey.
Go UMass!!

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:08 pm

Bamford said on Twitter that he will be doing an update on what's be going on with the dominos and UMass.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:32 pm

We are mentioned in this article regarding the future of Conference USA (or what will be left of it).

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... next-week/

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:06 pm

69MG wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:32 pm We are mentioned in this article regarding the future of Conference USA (or what will be left of it).

The article also references Liberty, which has reported they have no interest in CUSA in it's current format. It's garbage with a lot of travel to Texas. Come to the point wanting us unified with one sports conference with football and basketball, etc. The only real option is the MAC, which some don't like. Think with Western Kentucky it would be alright for bb. I'll continue to support football, but nothing else if this does not happen. Everyone makes their personal choices. Feel strongly on the subject.
Go UMass!!

jpatsfan
Junior

Post by jpatsfan » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:24 pm

Steve81 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:06 pm
69MG wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:32 pm We are mentioned in this article regarding the future of Conference USA (or what will be left of it).

The article also references Liberty, which has reported they have no interest in CUSA in it's current format. It's garbage with a lot of travel to Texas. Come to the point wanting us unified with one sports conference with football and basketball, etc. The only real option is the MAC, which some don't like. Think with Western Kentucky it would be alright for bb. I'll continue to support football, but nothing else if this does not happen. Everyone makes their personal choices. Feel strongly on the subject.
CUSA is no longer an option and may not even be a conference by next week. Unless Marshal and ODU, and they somehow get JMU, CUSA is done. Only football option is the MAC.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:05 pm

We wander in the desert of FBS, but we lack a Moses.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

jpatsfan
Junior

Post by jpatsfan » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:45 pm

econalum wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:05 pm We wander in the desert of FBS, but we lack a Moses.
Moses wouldn't be able to navigate this program out of the desert. Even if he had 40 years to do it. The problem is we have idiots running UMass and the parade of errors and BS has finally caught up to us. I want us to stay in the FBS, but I'm seriously worried that our final option, our last resort is a return to the FCS. Unless the MAC has interest which they probably don't, there is no future as an independent. And to take this to its logical conclusion, what the hell do we do next when the A10 eventually gets raided and will left with the sloppy seconds?!

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:58 pm

This question is for any of you with more of an understanding of college athletics than I. Why is there not a second East Coast FBS conference?

With Connecticut, Massachusetts, Buffalo, Temple, Old Dominion, James Madison, East Carolina, Charlotte, South Florida, Army, Navy, VCU, Rhode Island and god knows who I am missing there are more than enough schools to get this done. I know VCU and Rhody don’t have/want FBS football but they can join for everything else.

I just can’t understand why these Presidents haven’t gotten together to end the madness of being in conferences with schools they have nothing in common with. B1G, SEC and PAC12 have their traditions still but the rest of these conference alignments are a joke and ruining college athletics.

Ok, I feel better now.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:10 pm

^
Buffalo is a good geographic fit for the MAC. You could argue the prospective East Coast conference is also a good fit and a better institutional fit. But I think they're content.

Temple, East Carolina, South Florida have $7M per year in media for their football in the AAC. It'll be interesting to see if/how ESPN renegotiates the rate. Temple may consider other viable options to protect basketball. But so long as Memphis, Wichita State, SMU are in the AAC, it's not a terrible league.

Old Dominion, James Madison, Charlotte are all signing with new leagues with hopes they provide increased revenue, exposure, etc. In fairness, those leagues are no worse fits for their respective schools more than the prospective conference.

Army is already viable as an independent and they really have no need to join a conference. If Navy wants out of the AAC, I'm sure CBS Sports would give them the same media deal as Army. ESPN Events would give them the same bowl deal.

Speaking of CBS Sports, UConn has their home games televised on national TV. They're scheduling home games with Power 5 opponents. And if you ask their AD and fans they'll tell they think they can replicate BYU's success as an independent team that "hangs with the big dogs". Not sure the on-field performance will pan out. But they want to give that a go before joining little old UMass and the misfit toys.

Would these teams agree to an alliance of some kind? Could A10 basketball be leveraged to entice some of them? Idk maybe? But they'd need some seriously convincing reasons to move. The reality is UMass needs a home with these schools a lot more than these schools need a home with UMass.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:55 am

Thanks McKinney.

UMass appears to have missed the boat.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:01 am

Yup.. probably why Bamford tweeted he wants to do a Q&A session. Wants to sell us on how we really don't need a conference. A little bit of CYA. Guy has to go.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:42 am

TheInsider wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:01 am Yup.. probably why Bamford tweeted he wants to do a Q&A session. Wants to sell us on how we really don't need a conference. A little bit of CYA. Guy has to go.
Hope not off to pool during the Q&A. Would ask some hard questions. It's my wishful thinking but 'IF' we where paired with Western Kentucky and their long bb history, would it appease people in accepting an all sports invite to the MAC. We have to fight like hell, but in the end it depends how ESPN feels about Middle Tennessee and us and how hard we fight to get it. It has to be an all out commitment.
Go UMass!!