Conference Realignment

Get ready for some MACtion
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Re: Realignment: Texas/OK->SEC; UCF, BYU, Ciny,Houston->BigXII-dominos

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:30 pm

^

Apparently a really really bad thought on a message board since it has me and eldon agreeing, to a T, on something.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:52 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:38 pm You're not listening, considering I've never said I don't want football to have a home. We can join a conference as a Football-only member without giving up 6 basketball games to said conference. We literally did it once before. The mistake was tying our fortunes to another team everyone knew was looking to leave.
the A-10 put 2 teams in the Big Dance vs. the MAC 1 team this year. However, football independence is, to quote Obama :cry: "not sustainable" unless you are ND or Army. Too many negatives being indy in football. intially I thought we could do the indy thing forever, but no one is going to give us the Football-only deal, not the MAC and even C-USA being on life support wouldn't do that deal.

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:25 am

Like it or not- conference realignment decisions are made based on only two sport-football and men’s basketball. UMass unfortunately has neither program in a good situation. Football is obviously set up to fail as an independent. Basketball is in a once great conference that has become a stepping stone for greener pastures over the years and most other schools have left UMass behind.

Best hope for both is for UMass to hit a home run with the basketball coach hire and raise the profile of the basketball program so it can leave the A-10 for other conferences as well, and also so football only membership becomes more appealing. Until that happens, I’d expect football to stay independent and I’d expect basketball to stay A-10 which is now unfortunately consistently a 2-bid league.
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

Leave the A-10!

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:08 pm

jjmc85 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:25 am Like it or not- conference realignment decisions are made based on only two sport-football and men’s basketball. UMass unfortunately has neither program in a good situation. Football is obviously set up to fail as an independent. Basketball is in a once great conference that has become a stepping stone for greener pastures over the years and most other schools have left UMass behind.

Best hope for both is for UMass to hit a home run with the basketball coach hire and raise the profile of the basketball program so it can leave the A-10 for other conferences as well, and also so football only membership becomes more appealing. Until that happens, I’d expect football to stay independent and I’d expect basketball to stay A-10 which is now unfortunately consistently a 2-bid league.
Agree with most of this as both teams have not been good for a long time and attendance reflects this. Hope it starts changing soon.

Code: Select all

2021 - football attendance with comment

Sept 4 Boston College 12,118 Boston Globe falsely reported no tailgating and no same day parking passes.
Sept 18 EMU 7,012 Same day parking $40
Oct 2 Toledo 9,456
Oct 9 UConn 12,765
Nov 6 URI 7,284
Nov 13 Maine 5,331
---------------------------
Total 53,966 average 9k

2021-2022 basketball attendance with comment Free parking, no passes required
Nov 9 UMBC   2903
Nov 15 Penn State  3022
Nov 24 UML 1492
Nov 27 Rutgers 1881
Dec 4 Harvard 2333
Dec 19 Fairfield 1322
Jan 8 Duquense 1978
Jan 15 URI 2181
Jan 20 St Louis 1665
Jan 30 G.Mason 2321
Feb 9 GW 2113
Feb 12 St Joes 3127
Feb 19 LaSalle 2009
Feb 26 VCU 2758
Mar 2 Fordam 2186
-------------------------
Total 31,178 average 2.1k
Go UMass!!

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:24 pm

Richmond is advancing to the Round of 32. I guess that means UMass is too good for the MAC. :wink:
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:01 pm

We'll have to see as Akron Zips are leading #4 seed UCLA going into the second half.
Go UMass!!

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:47 pm

Steve81 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:26 pm
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:01 pm We do not need to give up 6 games of our Basketball OOC to join a conference as a football only member. It's unnecessary and unreasonable. Period.
So who is putting basketball against football. One hand give football a conference home and on the other give choices on half the OOC basketball schedule. "No it is unnecessary and unreasonable" according to InnervisionUMass. Unnecessary for football to have a conference home with bowl tie-ins and someday a conference championship, really?
I can more so see your point after reading all of your reasoning. I think most if not all agree that the football program NEEDS a conference. Nobody is knocking on our door; nobody is even walking up the driveway right now.

Umass is in no position to demand anything, they have zero leverage. To those arguing that our hoops recruiting will suffer and decline to Mac Level; have you seen what has been on the court in the last many years? Umass is there now FFS.

Winning cures all ills. If Umass hoops can start winning 20+ games every year, the recruiting will take care of itself regardless of who we play in the non-con.

OK Steve - you win (with me at least) :D

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:18 am

eldonabe wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:47 pm
Steve81 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:26 pm
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:01 pm We do not need to give up 6 games of our Basketball OOC to join a conference as a football only member. It's unnecessary and unreasonable. Period.
So who is putting basketball against football. One hand give football a conference home and on the other give choices on half the OOC basketball schedule. "No it is unnecessary and unreasonable" according to InnervisionUMass. Unnecessary for football to have a conference home with bowl tie-ins and someday a conference championship, really?
I can more so see your point after reading all of your reasoning. I think most if not all agree that the football program NEEDS a conference. Nobody is knocking on our door; nobody is even walking up the driveway right now.

Umass is in no position to demand anything, they have zero leverage. To those arguing that our hoops recruiting will suffer and decline to Mac Level; have you seen what has been on the court in the last many years? Umass is there now FFS.

Winning cures all ills. If Umass hoops can start winning 20+ games every year, the recruiting will take care of itself regardless of who we play in the non-con.

OK Steve - you win (with me at least) :D
Per CSN BBS, C-USA is talking to FCS schools.............Bam should tell them we'll go all in!!!! Can anybody explain to me why we are still in the A-10?

Crank
Senior

Post by Crank » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:42 pm

^Because C-USA is a horrific basketball league who's closest school to UMass would be Bowling Green Kentucky

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:53 pm

One of the big reasons these conferences don't want UMASS as a football only member is because they know UMASS will jump conferences as soon as its gets a better offer. Unwinding a whole sports program is so much more difficult.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:39 am

KahunaK wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:53 pm One of the big reasons these conferences don't want UMASS as a football only member is because they know UMASS will jump conferences as soon as its gets a better offer. Unwinding a whole sports program is so much more difficult.
BS. History has shown UMass stays in conferences and has been in the A10 for 45 years. Even with inquires to the Big East as other founder members left, then in 1998 with both CUSA and the MAC. UMass could have been in the AAC if UMass chose CUSA. Even Charlotte was chosen over UMass for the AAC recently. Why are we so loyal to the A10. Now the direction of the AAC is to the south, much like CUSA and the SEC. There was a hard push for a football only bid last year and produced nothing. A few years before that there was hope for a bowl affiliation. Like that Football only bid, mostly a pipe dream.

Winning helps and the conference matters some, good basketball and football matter more. If you are concern about what leaving the A10 will do to the men's basketball recruiting, imagine not being in any conference long term would do to a sport.

Much like the hope of the Football only hope for CUSA last year, a shot at one with the MAC is only possible due to the fact Western Kentucky, final four participant like us, wants in to the MAC. That opportunity will be gone soon as well.
Go UMass!!

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:13 am

Steve81 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:39 am
KahunaK wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:53 pm One of the big reasons these conferences don't want UMASS as a football only member is because they know UMASS will jump conferences as soon as its gets a better offer. Unwinding a whole sports program is so much more difficult.
BS. History has shown UMass stays in conferences and has been in the A10 for 45 years. Even with inquires to the Big East as other founder members left, then in 1998 with both CUSA and the MAC. UMass could have been in the AAC if UMass chose CUSA. Even Charlotte was chosen over UMass for the AAC recently. Why are we so loyal to the A10. Now the direction of the AAC is to the south, much like CUSA and the SEC. There was a hard push for a football only bid last year and produced nothing. A few years before that there was hope for a bowl affiliation. Like that Football only bid, mostly a pipe dream.

Winning helps and the conference matters some, good basketball and football matter more. If you are concern about what leaving the A10 will do to the men's basketball recruiting, imagine not being in any conference long term would do to a sport.

Much like the hope of the Football only hope for CUSA last year, a shot at one with the MAC is only possible due to the fact Western Kentucky, final four participant like us, wants in to the MAC. That opportunity will be gone soon as well.
Exactly my sentiments. A number of articles have been written on that. In a couple years we and Uconn and Army will be the only Independents out there. ND is a member of the ACC and has to play a number of ACC games so they are not really independent. I just hope something good happens re: conference realignment because I don't think FBS Independents not named ND or Army have a long life span. We'll see what happens because there will be more conference realignment in the near future.

Why are we so loyal to the A10

I'd like to know why also

It's a vicious cycle because winning begets recruiting and recruiting begets winning. Sort of a "haves, have nots" thing. I'm excited for this season becasue for once we don't lead off with back to back P5 schools. Middle of the road G5's then FCS Stony Brook. Really think we get at least 2 wins this year.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:16 pm

Army is in the Patriot league for all sports except football and hockey (Atlantic Hockey). There truly is no independent team in all sports.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:48 pm

Crank wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:42 pm ^Because C-USA is a horrific basketball league who's closest school to UMass would be Bowling Green Kentucky
You're absolutely right!!!! The schools remaining are pretty bad: FIU, La Tech, MTSU, UTEP and WKU. Almost like going from the frying pan into the fire. I guess that leaves the MAC as the only G5 conference that is viable. Maybe they'll take us back :( :cry:

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:52 pm

Some interesting thoughts from Dabo Swinney of Clemson on the state of college football.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... e-football
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...