Conference Realignment

Get ready for some MACtion
hoopified
Freshman

Re: Texas/Oklahoma official announce moving to the SEC

Post by hoopified » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:14 pm

We have to get out of the A-10. Period.

Know your history and stop complaining about conferences that are gonna fold if so and so leaves. They aren't they'll just reload. Being in a middling conference for football is better than no conference. I love hoops, but when was the last time basketball was even relevant? Why would we hamstring the whole athletic dept based on that program? Needs to be a 10 year plan. to get into, and then into a better conference with football. Get in, get into a bowl with in 5 years, get out "mystery conference x" and get into a real home. The A-10 isnt it.

Take a look at all the in an out. Look at us stuck in cement......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_ ... ll_members

Look at the list of teams that started the A-10 - GW and Duquesne are the only ones left with us that started the conference. The A-10 IS a stepping stone conference. We are the only large public institution that refuses to use it as such! Rutgers, Penn St. West Virginia, Va Tech, Pitt. Look at the Va Tech Path. We have very little in common with our conference as a group.

Its beyond time for a new conference. Va Tech or Rutgers should be the model.

jpatsfan
Junior

Post by jpatsfan » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:30 pm

hoopified wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:14 pm We have to get out of the A-10. Period.

Know your history and stop complaining about conferences that are gonna fold if so and so leaves. They aren't they'll just reload. Being in a middling conference for football is better than no conference. I love hoops, but when was the last time basketball was even relevant? Why would we hamstring the whole athletic dept based on that program? Needs to be a 10 year plan. to get into, and then into a better conference with football. Get in, get into a bowl with in 5 years, get out "mystery conference x" and get into a real home. The A-10 isnt it.

Take a look at all the in an out. Look at us stuck in cement......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_ ... ll_members

Look at the list of teams that started the A-10 - GW and Duquesne are the only ones left with us that started the conference. The A-10 IS a stepping stone conference. We are the only large public institution that refuses to use it as such! Rutgers, Penn St. West Virginia, Va Tech, Pitt. Look at the Va Tech Path. We have very little in common with our conference as a group.

Its beyond time for a new conference. Va Tech or Rutgers should be the model.
I agree with this post. We have the worst possible situation right now. Indy in the FBS and mediocre in the A10. We need to think about football if our athletic program is to stay relevant. I used to be pushing the move it down or shut it down narrative. Neither of those help us out as they would damage the brand. If we can get somewhere we should go.
Last edited by jpatsfan on Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:46 pm

The dead horse beating is also reaching a crescendo in twitterdom this evening.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:47 am

Imagine the Sun Belt is able to raid CUSA as well as the AAC. That could leave an opening for FB only in CUSA.
Would be happy with any G5 conference FB only invite. CUSA is the least preferable since it is so spread out, has the worst media package and an awful commissioner. Unless another door is opening, would be happy with it and preserve our long standing in the A10. FB only is the best way to please most of our sports fans.

Sun Belt statement
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E-7Wad3XMCE ... name=large

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/stat ... 0925111297

The dominos have started. Big XII officially invites BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and Central Florida.

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/stat ... 29087.html
Go UMass!!

Sheck
Hall of Fame

Re: Realignment: Texas/OK->SEC; UCF, BYU, Ciny,Houston->BigXII-dominos

Post by Sheck » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:03 pm

^
I'd be happy with football only in any FBS conference. If UConn comes along too the geography doesn't have to make sense. I assume both schools would be added as a package deal. I think C-USA could make a lot of sense and there are some familiar foes there (Charlotte, FIU, Old Dominion). If the conference gets poached I think its western members would be more attractive to other leagues (UAB + any of the four schools in Texas).
#maction 🚩#flagship

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:45 pm

If you get an invite to C-USA or AAC as a full member... you go.. leave the A-10.. like it was said before... all the big teams in the A-10 from the past are gone.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:23 pm

If you join a 'can only fly' conference you can kiss goodbye many non-revenue sports, perhaps all. Is that worth it?
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:29 pm

econalum wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:23 pm If you join a 'can only fly' conference you can kiss goodbye many non-revenue sports, perhaps all. Is that worth it?
You are so hung-up on staying small time football. The football program went FBS in 2012; period end. If a G-5 conference extended an invitation then of course you go for it. I think you were spouting an opinion about a big increase in applications being a total coincidence with UMass moving up to FBS. Flagship universities in states with a population over 1 million play FBS football, not FCS or D3. Being an independent is a very tough row to hoe, especially with Coastal and Liberty having top 20 teams.

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:11 am

What is sad is the competitive state of both the men’s basketball and football programs, The athletic program has been mis-managed to the point of irrelevancy with the exception of hockey, Thank You Coach Carvel for keeping us sane. MB and football drive athletics so I cannot comprehend how those two programs are in such disarray to the point our flagship university is overshadowed by James Madison in conference expansion talks. That’s not a knock, on JMU as I have a great deal of admiration for what they have done with their football program and facilities. It is an indictment on our administration for their lack of a plan on how to get this university into a stable and profitable situation as it pertains to athletics.
Go UMass Beat BC!

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:06 am

To me the best and only scenario that makes sense is for Big East in all non football sports and then remain independent for now in Football and try to get a football only membership into CUSA or Sun Belt (I dont think AAC or MAC are options for this). Or maybe they firm up an Indy "conference" with the likes of UConn, Army, Navy, Liberty, New Mex St for football

The Power 5 are going to break away from NCAA and I think they pull the Big East with them.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:04 am

stevemaz wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:06 am To me the best and only scenario that makes sense is for Big East in all non football sports and then remain independent for now in Football and try to get a football only membership into CUSA or Sun Belt (I dont think AAC or MAC are options for this). Or maybe they firm up an Indy "conference" with the likes of UConn, Army, Navy, Liberty, New Mex St for football

The Power 5 are going to break away from NCAA and I think they pull the Big East with them.
So you're saying imitate UConn? I actually think UConn may drop football or go back to FCS due to the lack of an on-campus stadium.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:06 am

wmmmfan wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:11 am What is sad is the competitive state of both the men’s basketball and football programs, The athletic program has been mis-managed to the point of irrelevancy with the exception of hockey, Thank You Coach Carvel for keeping us sane. MB and football drive athletics so I cannot comprehend how those two programs are in such disarray to the point our flagship university is overshadowed by James Madison in conference expansion talks. That’s not a knock, on JMU as I have a great deal of admiration for what they have done with their football program and facilities. It is an indictment on our administration for their lack of a plan on how to get this university into a stable and profitable situation as it pertains to athletics.
Go UMass Beat BC!
Agreed except Trivigno to Wait in OT changed everything then the blowout in the National Championship basically gave us credibility forever. There was no asterisk next to this championship ala Camby and the Final Four.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:43 am

Found this thread interesting on Marshall.
Hearing now that regardless of what the American does, Marshall is on the move out of CUSA. Option 1 is the American along with several other schools that Marshall has a "good working relationship with". Option 2 (And oddly, possibly the preferred option) is a move to the Sunbelt with those same schools and possibly a few more to form a tight eastern division. Marshall is working closely with ODU, Southern Miss, App State, UAB and a few others.... Either way it goes, Marshall is moving on.
This is what needs to happen. The money in the AAC is not going to be nearly what it is now. It is time to stop chasing the pie-in-the-sky conference and settle into a sensible, geographically tight, competitive conference for the long run. Cut travel expenses to the minimum and just enjoy local rivalries that will form.
https://csnbbs.com/thread-929412.html
Go UMass!!

Merlin Samuels
Junior

Post by Merlin Samuels » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:49 am

I hope our administration is doing everything possible to secure a spot in the AAC. It would be great to have Temple as a conference rival, plus yearly games with Memphis and Wichita State would be attractive.

I feel less enthusiastic about C-USA, but I think it is time to be in an all-sports conference. We’re not making tournaments in the A10 anyway.

jpatsfan
Junior

Post by jpatsfan » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:14 pm

Merlin Samuels wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:49 am I hope our administration is doing everything possible to secure a spot in the AAC. It would be great to have Temple as a conference rival, plus yearly games with Memphis and Wichita State would be attractive.

I feel less enthusiastic about C-USA, but I think it is time to be in an all-sports conference. We’re not making tournaments in the A10 anyway.
As states in another post the AAC is done. They just don't know it yet. I mean look at CUSA it's weak and the SBC is stronger as a whole. I could actually see the SBC pulling some stragglers from the AAC and look to renegotiate their contract.

The only play here for the AAC is to be a national conference. Add Boise State, SDSU and other random.parts from around the country. Travel will become insane and expensive. For those reasons I think the AAC is done. To bad the A10 doesn't want to bring back FB, what an opportunity they have right now.