Realignment: Texas/OK->SEC; UCF, BYU, Ciny,Houston->BigXII-dominos

Don Brown's back and there's gonna be stability. Hey na, hey na, Don Brown's back.
Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Re: Texas/Oklahoma official announce moving to the SEC

Post by Used to be VOR » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:36 am

Why are we perpetuating this folly?

We made the move to FBS too late, and did it poorly on top of that. The damage that being one of the worst football programs in the country is doing to this school is simply ridiculous. Honestly, I just don't see any scenario where we are invited to any conference, and the continuation of being a pay-to-play punching bag team is unsustainable.
Turns out, just because you write your name on a baby doesn't mean you get to keep it."

e_parade
Junior

Post by e_parade » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:18 am

What damage is being done? We've only been moving up the rankings in both Public and Overall national universities since moving up (and I'm not saying it's the reason we've moved up - just that it isn't preventing that).

Steve81
Senior

Post by Steve81 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:12 am

Used to be VOR wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:36 am Why are we perpetuating this folly?

We made the move to FBS too late, and did it poorly on top of that. The damage that being one of the worst football programs in the country is doing to this school is simply ridiculous. Honestly, I just don't see any scenario where we are invited to any conference, and the continuation of being a pay-to-play punching bag team is unsustainable.
VOR, we have been maintaining the goal of going FBS, to loss the same amount of money or less than FCS, along with being like our peers* having FBS football. Your handle does not jive regarding football. As e-parade mentions/stated, we have been climbing in the ratings as an academic institution and applicants entry scores. IMHO, think it's sad rabid basketball fans come over here kicking a dog while it's down and have their head in the sand that basketball is not the #1 sport with attendance, not #2, but it's #3. Being in the FBS universe has allowed us to schedule UConn and Boston College. This would be extremely difficult being FCS as it is with basketball.

* Aspire to be AAU and only 3 AAU universities are not FBS.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:23 am

e_parade wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:18 am What damage is being done? We've only been moving up the rankings in both Public and Overall national universities since moving up (and I'm not saying it's the reason we've moved up - just that it isn't preventing that).

There is no damage being done. Period.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:18 am

From ESPN - Sabin interview where he thinks that FCS or 'Payday teams' will need financial relief or no longer will be able to afford programs. Specifics are about 1/2 way down. He seems realistic that these games will go away, and that P5 players don't want these games.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... cines-more
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

Steve81
Senior

Post by Steve81 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:00 am

Need to take his comments from the P5, SEC perspective. Most G5 players want to play bowl games to show case their skills. Mostly P5 players do not want to risk injuries before the draft. It just makes since not to jeopardize your career with the last bowl game of your college career and Sabin's comment that it's not good for the kids does not wash if they are protecting themselves for the draft.

The less is relative as well as some conferences have started to eliminate FCS games so it is more so than G5 teams and he was very specific to his conference and very supportive of having the money made available one way or another so sports will not go from 21 teams to 9 teams with non revenue teams taking the hardest hit.
But are we headed to an NFL model in college football with all of these changes?
It kind of looks like it. College football is for guys to get an education, and the more we pay players, the less sports we're going to have. If we start paying players, instead of having 21 sports, we're going to have nine. There will be no something -- golf team, track team, something. Then you're eliminating opportunities for people in non-revenue sports.
If SEC teams are playing nine or 10 SEC games and the playoff is expanded, that means there will be less opportunities for Group of 5 and FCS programs to schedule guaranteed games, which supplement a large portion of their athletic budgets. Does that concern you?

I'm not even opposed to giving them money so they can have programs. But nobody wants to come to watch some of these games, and the players are getting to the point where they don't want to play in these games, just like players don't want to play in bowl games. How many players opt out of bowl games? How many players did Florida have that didn't play in a bowl game last year? None of that is good for college football, and I don't think it's good for the kids, either.

The revenue sharing part, they're not going to be able to have programs if we don't play these schools. If they didn't get $1.6 million for coming to play these games, they probably couldn't sustain their program. Again, you're just going to keep minimizing opportunities for players to play. I'm not really wanting to play those schools, but they need to get some money.
Last edited by Steve81 on Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZooMass84
Junior

Post by ZooMass84 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:27 am

Used to be VOR wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:36 am Why are we perpetuating this folly?

The only ridiculous thing is your "post". The FBS move had to be made. Major college football is the only option for a flagship like UMass. Yes, we suck and probably always will, but Mass. has a population of 7 million and only little miniscule states population-wise like Maine or Delaware or South Dakota play 1AA football.
And what is "unsustainable" about being a punching bag/body bag team for the P5?

ZooMass84
Junior

Post by ZooMass84 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:39 am

After Hockey won the National Championship, I'm very happy and feel that whatever happens in football is gravy. However, no more talk about dropping football or dropping down to 1AA (it's never going to happen). Am I happy that with the exception of second half 2017 and 2018 the team has sucked? NO. There are too many things working against us for us to ever have a decent team: stadium sucks, New England is not a football area, No conference.

ZooMass84
Junior

Post by ZooMass84 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:53 am

I'll make the prediction for UMass now for this season:
1) Bell keeps his job with 1 win
2) We win 1 or 2 games (either of the 1AA games or both or a possible win over NMSU/UConn).

Quann
Senior

Post by Quann » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:36 pm

If Walt has zero wins against FBS competition, I'm ready to move on.

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:03 am

Well if the Big 12 raids the AAC then does the AAC fold or look to add teams? Impact on UMASS?

https://sports.yahoo.com/avoid-funeral- ... 48531.html

Steve81
Senior

Post by Steve81 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:58 am

KahunaK wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:03 am Well if the Big 12 raids the AAC then does the AAC fold or look to add teams? Impact on UMASS?

https://sports.yahoo.com/avoid-funeral- ... 48531.html
We'll look at it, but my guess is no in the end. There is a vib from the bb side that really likes familiarity and the A10. The AAC is mostly a southern based conference with added travel expenses but more money. It will be a tough decision. My unrealistic hope is that UConn would eventually want to partner with us for a FB only affiliation. Just done see UConn ever working with us for our benefit. The next 5 years will be interesting and time will tell.

My wild a$$ guess is the BigXII expands and perhaps raiding up to 3 teams from the AAC. The AAC will get back to 10 by adding 2 CUSA teams. CUSA will be happy to be to 12 members. With the PAC12, BigTen, ACC scheduling alliance, there is a cracked door opening for us of at least a scheduling alliance, with the carat of a FB only invite. Much like the MAC caret to Temple with UMass that we may both join someday. Unlikely, but hope is internal.

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:24 pm

^If reading that does not give you a headache, your carat is internal.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:42 am

Steve81 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:58 am There is a vib from the bb side that really likes familiarity and the A10.

Why do you continue to spin this? We'd go to the AAC in a heartbeat. Why do you continue to pit bball against football? We're all on the same team.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Steve81
Senior

Post by Steve81 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:46 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:42 am
Steve81 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:58 am There is a vib from the bb side that really likes familiarity and the A10.

Why do you continue to spin this? We'd go to the AAC in a heartbeat. Why do you continue to pit bball against football? We're all on the same team.
Because it is what I believe. Like every other poster, you post on your beliefs are, along with your hopes and emotions.
Why do people post that we should drop back to fcs etc, it's because what they believe. Sports like some of the academics do not make money. Our spending is realistic. You really do not believe most bb fans do not like the A10???