Conference Realignment

Get ready for some MACtion
Miami (Oh) Yeah !
Sophomore

Re: Realignment: Texas/OK->SEC; UCF, BYU, Ciny,Houston->BigXII-dominos

Post by Miami (Oh) Yeah ! » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:01 am

KahunaK wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:05 am
jjmc85 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:36 pm Otherwise every three years we’re gonna be calling for the football coach to be fired.
This is the reality because when new coaches come in and change everything it starts the rebuilding process all over. One thing I would say that UMASS has learned is that they need to hire a person who can develop the team (albeit slowly) over a five-year period and the expectation should be to hit .500 after 3 or 4 years. UMASS fired CM, Whipple, and now Bell. Everyone was certain UMASS would get better after firing Charlie, then Whip, and now Bell. Didn't happen. The firings feel good but they set the program back three years.
At some point its gonna be hard to find a quality coach to take the job. Imagine being a quality coach and being approached with an offer that the last 3 Coaches were shit-canned after 2.5 seasons and being offered a low-paying job with no conference, no bowl ties, and flo-sports as your bargaining chips to recruit with? would you entertain the offer? So your next coach will likely be an in-experienced, young coach with no better offer and nothing to work with trying to catch a paycheck for 2 years with all odds against them and grumbling alumni.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:27 am

Miami (Oh) Yeah ! wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:01 am
KahunaK wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:05 am
jjmc85 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:36 pm Otherwise every three years we’re gonna be calling for the football coach to be fired.
This is the reality because when new coaches come in and change everything it starts the rebuilding process all over. One thing I would say that UMASS has learned is that they need to hire a person who can develop the team (albeit slowly) over a five-year period and the expectation should be to hit .500 after 3 or 4 years. UMASS fired CM, Whipple, and now Bell. Everyone was certain UMASS would get better after firing Charlie, then Whip, and now Bell. Didn't happen. The firings feel good but they set the program back three years.
At some point its gonna be hard to find a quality coach to take the job. Imagine being a quality coach and being approached with an offer that the last 3 Coaches were shit-canned after 2.5 seasons and being offered a low-paying job with no conference, no bowl ties, and flo-sports as your bargaining chips to recruit with? would you entertain the offer? So your next coach will likely be an in-experienced, young coach with no better offer and nothing to work with trying to catch a paycheck for 2 years with all odds against them and grumbling alumni.
Ridiculous comment on so many levels! Offered a job that will pay almost a million a year--low paying my ass! Whip was here for FOUR years the other two were duds in different ways and poor hires. There are 130 FBS head coaching jobs in the world and to be offered one is a compliment, when hundreds of coaches are working at lower levels for much less pay!

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:59 am

^I mean, it’s not that ridiculous. The average tenure of an FBS coach at UMass is about 2.5 years. Also Bell even admitted with NEFJ one of the only reasons he got the job was because no one else wanted it.

Whipple had a sentimental connection to the university otherwise I don’t think he comes here in 2014. Who is the university gonna get to come in without the sentimental connection? There are serious issues that go above the head coach that prevent the program from being successful.

In addition to the many things that have been listed ad nauseam UMass The email sent out to all grid iron supporters had how many emails listed? And I’ve confirmed at least two of the recipients haven’t donated to the grid iron club in over a year- and that doesn’t include the person who offered everyone to be their real estate agent! I’m more concerned about the state of the program after receiving that email than I was before.
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

Leave the A-10!

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:22 am

jjmc85 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:59 am ^I mean, it’s not that ridiculous. The average tenure of an FBS coach at UMass is about 2.5 years. Also Bell even admitted with NEFJ one of the only reasons he got the job was because no one else wanted it.

Whipple had a sentimental connection to the university otherwise I don’t think he comes here in 2014. Who is the university gonna get to come in without the sentimental connection? There are serious issues that go above the head coach that prevent the program from being successful.

In addition to the many things that have been listed ad nauseam UMass The email sent out to all grid iron supporters had how many emails listed? And I’ve confirmed at least two of the recipients haven’t donated to the grid iron club in over a year- and that doesn’t include the person who offered everyone to be their real estate agent! I’m more concerned about the state of the program after receiving that email than I was before.
His comments are ridiculous when it comes to the areas I highlighted in my view. Whip is long gone, who cares why he came here. Bell never said those words--I can post the video from twitter to prove he didn't.

Wow, you admitted to stalking members of the GC, which I'm a member of :lol: ! Kind of funny and scary at the same time...

Miami (Oh) Yeah !
Sophomore

Post by Miami (Oh) Yeah ! » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:30 am

dennisdent wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:27 am
Ridiculous comment on so many levels! Offered a job that will pay almost a million a year--low paying my ass! Whip was here for FOUR years the other two were duds in different ways and poor hires. There are 130 FBS head coaching jobs in the world and to be offered one is a compliment, when hundreds of coaches are working at lower levels for much less pay!
I agree that somebody will take the job, just saying it will be a limited pool of candidates. I'd take the job! Most FBS candidates like coordinators already make more then the salary UMASS pays. I know Walt Bell supposedly took a pay-cut from Florida State to take it, but Florida State has been underperforming and under pressure and I'd bet Walt was feeling the heat there and maybe concerned for his position, so as a young coordinator took the lottery ticket of "maybe if" he pulls off a miracle then a P5 job and millions of dollars would follow. However it would have been a limited pool.

For years, Eastern Michigan has been in this position until recently where nobody wanted the job because it was "career limiting" to take that position because even Bill Belichick would lose there and then have that stain on his resume. They all knew that. EMU's coaches were all ex-fired coaches that needed a paycheck and knew they were on borrowed time.

But yes, there is an FCS coach out there somewhere making less money who is perhaps confident/arrogant enough to think he is the person to turn it around or just wants to double his salary for as long as he can and then go back to FCS.
Last edited by Miami (Oh) Yeah ! on Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:30 am

jjmc85 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:59 am ^I mean, it’s not that ridiculous. The average tenure of an FBS coach at UMass is about 2.5 years.
The average tenure between Molnar, Bell, and Whipple is 36.33 games, 3 years. The average tenure for FBS coaches, in general, is about 4 years. It's a little low on the surface. But each of the terminations were justified after giving a sufficient window IMO. The performance expectations here are not lofty. If Bell had beat UConn, URI, and Maine this year he'd still have a job.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

Miami (Oh) Yeah !
Sophomore

Post by Miami (Oh) Yeah ! » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:38 am

There are 130 FBS head coaching jobs in the world and to be offered one is a compliment, when hundreds of coaches are working at lower levels for much less pay!
And I absolutely agree with this. There are only so many D1 jobs available and is why the MAC doesn't get into an arms race with HC salaries. Its the stepping stone to the P5 millions lottery jackpot. Somebody confident will be willing to take the job for a low salary in hopes to win and then get PAID! and there is no amount of money a G5 school can afford to pay to keep a P5 team from poaching their coach so no need to pay a bunch.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:41 am

Miami (Oh) Yeah ! wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:30 am
I agree that somebody will take the job, just saying it will be a limited pool of candidates. I'd take the job! Most FBS candidates like coordinators already make more then the salary UMASS pays. I know Walt Bell supposedly took a pay-cut from Florida State to take it, but Florida State has been underperforming and under pressure and I'd bet Walt was feeling the heat there and maybe concerned for his position, so as a young coordinator took the lottery ticket of "maybe if" he pulls off a miracle then a P5 job and millions of dollars would follow. However it would have been a limited pool.

For years, Eastern Michigan has been in this position until recently where nobody wanted the job because it was "career limiting" to take that position because even Bill Belichick would lose there and then have that stain on his resume. They all knew that. EMU's coaches were all ex-fired coaches that needed a paycheck and knew they were on borrowed time.

But yes, there is an FCS coach out there somewhere making less money who is perhaps confident/arrogant enough to think he is the person to turn it around or just wants to double his salary for as long as he can and then go back to FCS.
EMU is a great example of how a coach (who makes less then Bell did) can change a program. You could just tell that Creighton has the "it" as a head coach. Bell's hiring had nothing to do with him and everything to do with Ryan Bamford and what he wanted as a head coach (young, pretty boy he could hang with and control--no drama Bamford)--and it didn't go well!

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:51 am

McKinney wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:30 am
jjmc85 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:59 am ^I mean, it’s not that ridiculous. The average tenure of an FBS coach at UMass is about 2.5 years.
The average tenure between Molnar, Bell, and Whipple is 36.33 games, 3 years. The average tenure for FBS coaches, in general, is about 4 years. It's a little low on the surface. But each of the terminations were justified after giving a sufficient window IMO. The performance expectations here are not lofty. If Bell had beat UConn, URI, and Maine this year he'd still have a job.
Exactly! All Bell had to do was beat URI--which most UMass coaches in the FCS years didn't have problems doing--and he got DOMINATED. If Molnar hadn't had the players boxing in the snow (see YouTube) he would have lasted one more year.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:59 am

McKinney wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:30 am
Also remember Whipple was turned down for the UConn job and was out of work. More importantly he knew he could get his 10 years in and have a UMass pension. Need to add that to his salary calculations. Yes, 1 million seems small as UConn has 2Million for their next coach.
Go UMass!!

Miami (Oh) Yeah !
Sophomore

Post by Miami (Oh) Yeah ! » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:03 pm

dennisdent wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:41 am
EMU is a great example of how a coach (who makes less then Bell did) can change a program. You could just tell that Creighton has the "it" as a head coach. Bell's hiring had nothing to do with him and everything to do with Ryan Bamford and what he wanted as a head coach (young, pretty boy he could hang with and control--no drama Bamford)--and it didn't go well!
Yes, Creighton is a great coach, but they had to cycle through 10 others to get to him. I think Creighton would do excellent at a school with more to work with. EMU needs to understand that and I think they do. For example, Terry Bowden coached Akron (another career limiting school) and took them to their first Bowl win ever! Then they fired him because they think they should do better then win 6 or 7 wins a year. And we know Bowden is not a bad coach, he just didn't have much to work with like Creighton they are doing the best with what they have.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:10 pm

dennisdent wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:51 am
Exactly! All Bell had to do was beat URI--which most UMass coaches in the FCS years didn't have problems doing--and he got DOMINATED. If Molnar hadn't had the players boxing in the snow (see YouTube) he would have lasted one more year.
OMG I completely forgot about that..

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:15 pm

All these sports "journalist" forget to add the bennies that come along with the 660k salary:

Family membership at the Longmeadow Country has to be about 15k a year(if anyone has better guess).
Monthly car stipend $1000, or 12k a year
10k in clothing allowance
Wife's away game travel costs covered-$400 roughly x6 $2400

$39,400 in bennies plus 660=$699.400 Bell made 700k in his pay package.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:19 pm

dennisdent wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:15 pm All these sports "journalist" forget to add the bennies that come along with the 660k salary:

Family membership at the Longmeadow Country has to be about 15k a year(if anyone has better guess).
Monthly car stipend $1000, or 12k a year
10k in clothing allowance
Wife's away game travel costs covered-$400 roughly x6 $2400

$39,400 in bennies plus 660=$699.400 Bell made 700k in his pay package.
I believe the benefits were included in the "additional compensation" (225k) over his base salary of $400k. What's unclear to me is if the value of these benefits are included in the buyout. And if they are, why?
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:21 pm

Miami (Oh) Yeah ! wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:03 pm
dennisdent wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:41 am
Yes, Creighton is a great coach, but they had to cycle through 10 others to get to him. I think Creighton would do excellent at a school with more to work with. EMU needs to understand that and I think they do. For example, Terry Bowden coached Akron (another career limiting school) and took them to their first Bowl win ever! Then they fired him because they think they should do better then win 6 or 7 wins a year. And we know Bowden is not a bad coach, he just didn't have much to work with like Creighton they are doing the best with what they have.
And UMass is only at three coaches--so were still ahead of the game! :lol:

Bowden is the perfect example of a coach that win anywhere he goes. Akron got too big for their britches and they are paying for it!

The right coach can win at UMass--a much, much better and richer school then EMU or Akron.