Conference Realignment

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
umiejoe

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by umiejoe » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:28 pm

In reference to Eldon's comment, Umass has taken the "two buck Chuck" approach to running an FBS football program. You wonder why Liberty, JMU and some others have done so well and we haven't? That's why. They spend $$ and lots of them. And emailing state legislators isn't going to help. As far as they're concerned Umass is a cow college outside of 128.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:26 am

Guess it will have to be a New Years present.
https://www.extrapointsmb.com/p/im-hear ... -umass-caa
Let’s talk about UMass
It makes perfect sense for fan speculation to immediately turn to UMass. The Minutemen are a bus ride away from Delaware, share meaningful FCS football history, and are similar institutions (academically selective, state flagships, etc). The UMass athletic administration has also been clear that the school does not want to be an FBS independent long-term, and views securing a conference invite to be critically important.

Multiple industry sources have told me that during their conversations with Conference USA, Delaware indicated that they would be very happy about UMass potentially joining the conference, although Delaware’s invite and interest in CUSA were in no way dependent on anything happening one way or another in Amherst. I’m also told that UMass would be receptive to continued conversations with CUSA.

But is anything imminent? Is anything going to be announced this calendar year?

I’m told….no. And here’s why.

Real quick, even though I’m turning on the paywall below, let me just offer this for any UMass fan readers. Do not panic. Enjoy your holiday season. I am not trying to play with your emotions. Again, do not panic. What is below this paywall fold is not bad news. It is just regular ol’ news.
The A10 lacks upward mobility, a G5 conference gives you possibilities for the future.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:38 am

Steve81 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:26 am Guess it will have to be a New Years present.
https://www.extrapointsmb.com/p/im-hear ... -umass-caa
Let’s talk about UMass
It makes perfect sense for fan speculation to immediately turn to UMass. The Minutemen are a bus ride away from Delaware, share meaningful FCS football history, and are similar institutions (academically selective, state flagships, etc). The UMass athletic administration has also been clear that the school does not want to be an FBS independent long-term, and views securing a conference invite to be critically important.

Multiple industry sources have told me that during their conversations with Conference USA, Delaware indicated that they would be very happy about UMass potentially joining the conference, although Delaware’s invite and interest in CUSA were in no way dependent on anything happening one way or another in Amherst. I’m also told that UMass would be receptive to continued conversations with CUSA.

But is anything imminent? Is anything going to be announced this calendar year?

I’m told….no. And here’s why.

Real quick, even though I’m turning on the paywall below, let me just offer this for any UMass fan readers. Do not panic. Enjoy your holiday season. I am not trying to play with your emotions. Again, do not panic. What is below this paywall fold is not bad news. It is just regular ol’ news.

My favorite quote "The UMass athletic administration has also been clear that the school does not want to be an FBS independent long-term, and views securing a conference invite to be critically important."

They have already been Indy for 8 fucking years. What is their definition of Long-Term - 20?

To be quite honest - I have little to no doubt that CUSA and Umass are now talking. I guess the only thing nobody seems to know is why is this taking so long.

- CUSA needs 12 (or 14)
- Umass needs a home for everything
- Other current viable options to CUSA are limited at the very best
- This move makes sense to every fucking person in the country EXCEPT [seemingly] for anyone on the Umass payroll.

I understand that there probably needs to be some "dotting and crossing", but what could possibly be holding this up? I am not going behind the paywall to read what will amount to an Op-Ed piece - with a "wink wink I know but I cannot tell you" teaser.

This whole thing wreaks of The Umass powers that be fucking up again.... They may be the only administration in the world who could still lose a 100% no lose proposition.

Crank
Senior

Post by Crank » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:00 am

My speculation (based on nothing but my own reading of the tea leaves) is that there are a couple of things that need to be ironed out before they'll announce anything-coming up with the $4 million A-10 exit fee, and lining up affiliate homes for the sports that C-USA doesn't sponsor. The fact that Bamford and the Chancellor are finally willing to address this publicly leads me to believe something is actually happening, especially since they are doing this "chat" as a perk to football donors and season ticket holders. I'm sure it will be light on specifics for now though while they get those two issues squared away.
While it would be very UMass for them to say "nothing to see here", I can't imagine they are setting this up just to do that with everything else going on around realignment. If they were going to do that they'd just issue a statement.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:08 am

It's just a matter of time now. Obviously anything could happen that could blow this up, but as we've known for a bit now, something is imminent.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

chapter 11
Junior

Post by chapter 11 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:26 pm

Another dagger to college football. The rich get richer.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-proposing ... 51537.html

Sheck
Hall of Fame

Post by Sheck » Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:30 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:08 am It's just a matter of time now. Obviously anything could happen that could blow this up, but as we've known for a bit now, something is imminent.
Ball is on the two yard line. Can we get it across the goal line or are we gonna fumble?
It will get better.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:22 pm

chapter 11 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:26 pm Another dagger to college football. The rich get richer.

Yeah - this would be the nail in the coffin for at least half of FBS football and an even larger percentage of D1 basketball - including and especially UMass.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:10 pm

eldonabe wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:22 pm
chapter 11 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:26 pm Another dagger to college football. The rich get richer.

Yeah - this would be the nail in the coffin for at least half of FBS football and an even larger percentage of D1 basketball - including and especially UMass.
Not if they can find a way to get into the top tier, which is likely 80 schools. UMass should be at that level.

Sheck
Hall of Fame

Post by Sheck » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:15 pm

^
Guess I'm not seeing how this is much different than what we have now. The bigger schools are going to have more money to give to athletes, whether that comes from NIL or a trust fund.
It will get better.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:52 am

minutefanjsf wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:10 pm
eldonabe wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:22 pm

Not if they can find a way to get into the top tier, which is likely 80 schools. UMass should be at that level.

Are you fucking kidding me? Umass can't even stop the gap between them and most others from increasing let alone catching up and joining the party? The delusions of the Umass fan base are head scratching sometimes.

What the fans and supporters WANT and what the school actually DOES could not be more opposite. The "Flagship" runs its fucking athletic program on a community college budget. And when they do decide to actually spend an extra buck or two it is on mostly useless "lipstick on a pig" endeavors.

These Universities that they aspire to compete with are so full of shit when it comes to what they say versus what they do and Umass Hoovers all of that in as gospel truth. This bullshit about Education ranks and USNWR the like being of utmost importance to keeping like minded schools together makes me want to puke because it is a fucking lie... If it were remotely true, Umass would have been inhaled by a P5 a decade ago.

This starts and ends with Money - how much you spend and how much you can generate. UMass sucks at both.

Look at the P5 conferences and their members: UMass' academic standing is as good as if not better than at least half of those schools. Sorry to say it, but so is UConn's. If this had anything to do with Academic Standing, both schools would be P5....

Also tell me what you don't see on that list - No FLAGSHIP Universities from the Northeast (PA excluded). I would argue that Rutgers is not in NJ either. So no flagship from New England, NY, NJ, or Delaware. What do they all have in common .....? They do not support their athletics with enough funds. I realize that the smaller states do not even try to get into FBS, but they are not on the BE for basketball either.....

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:50 am

This is some additional information items summarized by TOPSTRAIGHT, who has a premium subscription.
TOPSTRAIGHT wrote: Yes--I have the premium subscription, Steve, --been busy-just now having time to post.

A LOT to Unload here! Some of these things we knew--SOME we did Not.

BROWN'S points and Quotes:
-- CUSA will eventually go to 12 or 14
-- Delaware just a bus ride from UMASS
--Delaware would be Very Happy--but their joining CUSA was NOT dependent on UMASS
--UMASS receptive to "continued conversations"
--NOTHING happening (if then) till late January or even late Spring (various reasons)
-- UMASS fans are told to relax and enjoy the Holidays
-- 4M dollar exit fee from A10 if done by June 30th-IF UMASS joined it would be for 2025-26-ALL SPORTS
--most FB contracts have NO termination fee--not near as much admn. work to be done as with Del.
-- NO RUSH
-- UCONN is a "no go" in any way
-- CUSA will ONLY Add ALL-SPORTS Schools
--Missouri St., EKU, Tarleton listed as other possibles
-- MAC is unlikely to pursue expansion with ANYBODY in the near future

OK. Now here are MY brief conclusions and Opinions>> A very crafty article. He said a lot without even coming close to saying whether UMASS would join or not.
The A10 lacks upward mobility, a G5 conference gives you possibilities for the future.

Merlin Samuels
Junior

Post by Merlin Samuels » Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:10 pm

It seems like the details regarding the future homes of our non-revenue sports need to be figured out. I don’t know which sports C-USA sponsors and the minimum amount of sports we need to provide to be considered a full member are.

But has Delaware done this yet? Was their “rush” more or less the FBS transition?

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:27 pm

Merlin Samuels wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:10 pm It seems like the details regarding the future homes of our non-revenue sports need to be figured out. I don’t know which sports C-USA sponsors and the minimum amount of sports we need to provide to be considered a full member are.

But has Delaware done this yet? Was their “rush” more or less the FBS transition?
Regarding which sports CUSA sponsors, this if from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conference_USA

Sport | Mens Teams | Womens Teams
Baseball | 9 | -
Basketball |9 | 9
Beach volleyball | – | 9
Bowling | – | 9
Cross Country | 9 | 9
Football | 9 | –
Golf | 8 | 7
Soccer | – | 9
Softball | – | 9
Tennis | 4 | 9
Track and Field (Indoor) | 7 | 9
Track and Field (Outdoor) | 8 | 9
Volleyball | – | 9
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:38 pm

Realignment is out of control.
Send the P5 on their way and wish them well. Reorganize D1, come up with a revenue sharing arrangement. Break the teams up geographically with the top X from each region eligible for the playoffs. Give the athletes a portion of the revenue generated and let’s get back to enjoying college sports again, this is getting exhausting.

Back to your regularly scheduled debating.