Conference Realignment

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
User avatar
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame
Posts: 17457
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:32 am
Location: Milford, MA
Contact:

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:46 am

eldonabe wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:39 am After watching FSU get FU'd out of a playoff appearance this year, they will stop scheduling other P5 non-con games and start feasting on the Umass and UConn's of the world.

Fine by me, that was a great trip a few years ago.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

User avatar
Steve81
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2317
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:53 pm
Location: North Quabbin Region

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by Steve81 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:22 am

First of all, being in a conference has certainly helped NMSU and Liberty.
Secondly like to share a private message.
Chris Vannini (The Athletic) twitter--" CUSA...now has the New Year's Six spot ...turnaround for that league... also comes after CUSA reached the Final Four. Big year for the conference and some big paydays [$] coming in."

PLUS the new media deal and Delaware--- I don't know what else CUSA can do to make themselves anymore attractive.

Throw in a lot of historic BB programs in WKU, NMSU, UTEP, and others.

ALSO--the MAC has likely said--"NO"--because of more than one burnt bridge in the past And recent past.

CUSA is the ONLY FBS conference option for the Minutemen--and basically has ONE spot left.

This decision couldn't be any Easier IMO!!

IF UMASS turns down this opportunity--it could be YEARS before another.
Not making a commitment now, will almost certain mean a friggin DECADE being an independent with harder schedules.
Think CUSA is a better basketball conference than the MAC and CUSA has an opening. WTF is going on with the lack of ability of the administration to move!
The A10 lacks upward mobility, a G5 conference gives you possibilities for the future.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame
Posts: 5533
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:34 pm
Location: Western MA

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by eldonabe » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:40 am

Steve81 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:22 am First of all, being in a conference has certainly helped NMSU and Liberty.
Secondly like to share a private message.
Chris Vannini (The Athletic) twitter--" CUSA...now has the New Year's Six spot ...turnaround for that league... also comes after CUSA reached the Final Four. Big year for the conference and some big paydays [$] coming in."

PLUS the new media deal and Delaware--- I don't know what else CUSA can do to make themselves anymore attractive.

Throw in a lot of historic BB programs in WKU, NMSU, UTEP, and others.

ALSO--the MAC has likely said--"NO"--because of more than one burnt bridge in the past And recent past.

CUSA is the ONLY FBS conference option for the Minutemen--and basically has ONE spot left.

This decision couldn't be any Easier IMO!!

IF UMASS turns down this opportunity--it could be YEARS before another.
Not making a commitment now, will almost certain mean a friggin DECADE being an independent with harder schedules.
Think CUSA is a better basketball conference than the MAC and CUSA has an opening. WTF is going on with the lack of ability of the administration to move!
They are too cheap.

User avatar
UMass'96
Senior
Posts: 986
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:30 pm
Location: Back in the good 'ole US of A not some 3rd world shithole

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by UMass'96 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:46 am

MikeUMA wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:48 pm Greenfield Recorder columnist Chip Ainsworth takes Bamford to task
https://www.recorder.com/Keeping-Score- ... e-53214869

It's a little unnecessary for Chip to report on the SID's salary. The guy's just doing his job. It's on Bamford to face the music in this one.

And it's an enormously bad look at Ian McCaw is saying more about UM football now than Bamford is.

https://www.recorder.com/Keeping-Score- ... e-53214869
This article reads like it was written by someone who got left at the altar... very whinny, petty and written to fit a conclusion.

I'm not sure that I actually understand the intent of the article... is it to show lack of state support and what the path is to success or, to just simply to disparage Bamford. And btw, just because you call Bamford does not mean that you are entitled to a conversation. Based on this article and past, I wouldn't talk to this guy either. You can't continue to write negative crap and then expect the people that you are shitting on to want to contribute. Especially if you have twisted things to fit a narrative.
Save your breath... you'll need it to blow up your date

eldonabe
Hall of Fame
Posts: 5533
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:34 pm
Location: Western MA

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by eldonabe » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:57 pm

UMass'96 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:46 am
MikeUMA wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:48 pm Greenfield Recorder columnist Chip Ainsworth takes Bamford to task
https://www.recorder.com/Keeping-Score- ... e-53214869

It's a little unnecessary for Chip to report on the SID's salary. The guy's just doing his job. It's on Bamford to face the music in this one.

And it's an enormously bad look at Ian McCaw is saying more about UM football now than Bamford is.

https://www.recorder.com/Keeping-Score- ... e-53214869
This article reads like it was written by someone who got left at the altar... very whinny, petty and written to fit a conclusion.

I'm not sure that I actually understand the intent of the article... is it to show lack of state support and what the path is to success or, to just simply to disparage Bamford. And btw, just because you call Bamford does not mean that you are entitled to a conversation. Based on this article and past, I wouldn't talk to this guy either. You can't continue to write negative crap and then expect the people that you are shitting on to want to contribute. Especially if you have twisted things to fit a narrative.


There definitely an angle to make RB look bad, but I gotta be honest - RB needs to be called out. If they miss the boat this time (again), this door may be closed for a long time to come.

And to be fair to RB, he may have his hands tied by people above him but he is to professional to actually say that. I don't know what to make of this whole thing other than to say I am not really surprised by it give that the ineptitudes and mistakes go much farther back than just RB's tenure.

User avatar
UMass'96
Senior
Posts: 986
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:30 pm
Location: Back in the good 'ole US of A not some 3rd world shithole

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by UMass'96 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:33 pm

eldonabe wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:57 pm
UMass'96 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:46 am
MikeUMA wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:48 pm Greenfield Recorder columnist Chip Ainsworth takes Bamford to task
https://www.recorder.com/Keeping-Score- ... e-53214869

It's a little unnecessary for Chip to report on the SID's salary. The guy's just doing his job. It's on Bamford to face the music in this one.

And it's an enormously bad look at Ian McCaw is saying more about UM football now than Bamford is.

https://www.recorder.com/Keeping-Score- ... e-53214869
This article reads like it was written by someone who got left at the altar... very whinny, petty and written to fit a conclusion.

I'm not sure that I actually understand the intent of the article... is it to show lack of state support and what the path is to success or, to just simply to disparage Bamford. And btw, just because you call Bamford does not mean that you are entitled to a conversation. Based on this article and past, I wouldn't talk to this guy either. You can't continue to write negative crap and then expect the people that you are shitting on to want to contribute. Especially if you have twisted things to fit a narrative.


There definitely an angle to make RB look bad, but I gotta be honest - RB needs to be called out. If they miss the boat this time (again), this door may be closed for a long time to come.

And to be fair to RB, he may have his hands tied by people above him but he is to professional to actually say that. I don't know what to make of this whole thing other than to say I am not really surprised by it give that the ineptitudes and mistakes go much farther back than just RB's tenure.
Definitely do not disagree with your thoughts. But it feels to me that the state consistently gets a pass on this (ie lack of funding / support) and Bamford takes all the heat.

For all of the effort spent here on this board and in the media, it would seem that if a fraction of that energy was spent placing pressure on the state, calling local reps, etc. there might be some movement towards actual progress. In other words, stop blaming Bamford and start blaming the state. Hold Bamford accountable for those things within his control. But understand and acknowledge that he may be limited due to lack of support.

If Steve spent more time contacting the state rather than sending emails to random commish, we might do something. But if the general feeling at the sate that this is a non-issue amongst their voting base, then there is no point. Which is likely the conclusion anyway. Calling state reps surely can't be any worse than writing countless negative things about Bamford and is the only way to move this forward. A new AD will run into the same problems...
Save your breath... you'll need it to blow up your date

User avatar
Steve81
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2317
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:53 pm
Location: North Quabbin Region

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by Steve81 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:55 pm

UMass'96 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:33 pm
If Steve spent more time contacting the state rather than sending emails to random commish, we might do something. But if the general feeling at the sate that this is a non-issue amongst their voting base, then there is no point. Which is likely the conclusion anyway. Calling state reps surely can't be any worse than writing countless negative things about Bamford and is the only way to move this forward. A new AD will run into the same problems...
Your way off and posting out of ignorance. Wrote 1 commissioner when thought they were the only possible G5 home. The ignorance part is have written both former and current state rep, the UMass President and Chancellor. The only issue with funding is repeated our AD own words during Gridiron zoom meeting that the administration was funding the football program 1 Million less than we were FCS.

Now the "academic" issue or as Delaware's AD Chris Rawak put it, "different" was code on Liberty religious base. Did address the white elephant. Delaware is both a R1 university and OK with others being "different". This could give our President some solace as a highly respected University of Delaware acknowledge the "differences" and it's OK to be different.

Yes, UMass'96 and others, will call out personal attacks to mis-representing what I actually say. Will fight for what I believe is best for UMass Athletics, by letting them know and on a fan forum.
The A10 lacks upward mobility, a G5 conference gives you possibilities for the future.

User avatar
UMass'96
Senior
Posts: 986
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:30 pm
Location: Back in the good 'ole US of A not some 3rd world shithole

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by UMass'96 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:27 pm

Steve81 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:55 pm
UMass'96 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:33 pm
If Steve spent more time contacting the state rather than sending emails to random commish, we might do something. But if the general feeling at the sate that this is a non-issue amongst their voting base, then there is no point. Which is likely the conclusion anyway. Calling state reps surely can't be any worse than writing countless negative things about Bamford and is the only way to move this forward. A new AD will run into the same problems...
Your way off and posting out of ignorance. Wrote 1 commissioner when thought they were the only possible G5 home. The ignorance part is have written both former and current state rep, the UMass President and Chancellor. The only issue with funding is repeated our AD own words during Gridiron zoom meeting that the administration was funding the football program 1 Million less than we were FCS.

Now the "academic" issue or as Delaware's AD Chris Rawak put it, "different" was code on Liberty religious base. Did address the white elephant. Delaware is both a R1 university and OK with others being "different". This could give our President some solace as a highly respected University of Delaware acknowledge the "differences" and it's OK to be different.

Yes, UMass'96 and others, will call out personal attacks to mis-representing what I actually say. Will fight for what I believe is best for UMass Athletics, by letting them know and on a fan forum.
Thanks Steve. Nope, not calling you out or trying to twist/misrepresent what you do here. I actually applaud your energy and effort. Just think that it could be placed more appropriately with the state. In fact, if there was a grass roots movement to rally all of the board members here, similar to what the Collective is doing, then we might actually be able to influence the state to provide more funding. Wasn't aware of a funding reduction of $1M. And although this sounds like a big number, I doubt that it even moves the needle only slightly.

As for posting out of ignorance, I would say that this applies to everyone on this board, including you. It is impossible to know every fact or detail. If I am posting out of ignorance, I appreciate that you have corrected me. Might not be bad for you to advise us all when you do all of the things that you do to support the program so that we can all be more educated when we opine.

Further, I didn't realize that posting ignorance was a sub-standard measurement. Seems that 90% of what is posted here falls into that category.
Save your breath... you'll need it to blow up your date

User avatar
UMass'96
Senior
Posts: 986
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:30 pm
Location: Back in the good 'ole US of A not some 3rd world shithole

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by UMass'96 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:30 pm

Steve81 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:55 pm
Delaware is both a R1 university and OK with others being "different". This could give our President some solace as a highly respected University of Delaware acknowledge the "differences" and it's OK to be different.
Please forgive my ignorance here, what is an R1 university and why does it matter? How is this different that AAU status?

I'm looking forward to your enlighten response... :D
Save your breath... you'll need it to blow up your date

User avatar
Steve81
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2317
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:53 pm
Location: North Quabbin Region

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by Steve81 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:43 pm

UMass'96 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:30 pm
Steve81 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:55 pm
Delaware is both a R1 university and OK with others being "different". This could give our President some solace as a highly respected University of Delaware acknowledge the "differences" and it's OK to be different.
Please forgive my ignorance here, what is an R1 university and why does it matter? How is this different that AAU status?

I'm looking forward to your enlighten response... :D
Never researched and simply know R1 is the highest doctrine research and the issue with UMass achieving AAU status is UMass Worcester is a separate medical school. Most of my posting on academics was building the base that the academics are fine with the CUSA and make it plain/obvious it was being used as code for objections to Liberty's religious base.
The A10 lacks upward mobility, a G5 conference gives you possibilities for the future.

User avatar
e_parade
Junior
Posts: 731
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:15 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by e_parade » Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:44 pm

UMass'96 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:30 pm
Steve81 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:55 pm
Delaware is both a R1 university and OK with others being "different". This could give our President some solace as a highly respected University of Delaware acknowledge the "differences" and it's OK to be different.
Please forgive my ignorance here, what is an R1 university and why does it matter? How is this different that AAU status?

I'm looking forward to your enlighten response... :D
It's Carnegie Classification. Doctoral Universities are broken into three buckets, with R1 being the highest. We're in this bucket, and it would mostly be Universities you'd expect as top publics/privates that aren't specialized ones.

Doctoral Universities – Very High Research Activity (R1) (146)
Doctoral Universities – High Research Activity (R2) (133)
Doctoral/Professional Universities (D/PU) (187)

It's another way to split up universities based on education.

It differs from AAU because you don't need to be voted into the club to get there.

User avatar
UMass'96
Senior
Posts: 986
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:30 pm
Location: Back in the good 'ole US of A not some 3rd world shithole

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by UMass'96 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:37 pm

e_parade wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:44 pm
UMass'96 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:30 pm
Steve81 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:55 pm
Delaware is both a R1 university and OK with others being "different". This could give our President some solace as a highly respected University of Delaware acknowledge the "differences" and it's OK to be different.
Please forgive my ignorance here, what is an R1 university and why does it matter? How is this different that AAU status?

I'm looking forward to your enlighten response... :D
It's Carnegie Classification. Doctoral Universities are broken into three buckets, with R1 being the highest. We're in this bucket, and it would mostly be Universities you'd expect as top publics/privates that aren't specialized ones.

Doctoral Universities – Very High Research Activity (R1) (146)
Doctoral Universities – High Research Activity (R2) (133)
Doctoral/Professional Universities (D/PU) (187)

It's another way to split up universities based on education.

It differs from AAU because you don't need to be voted into the club to get there.
Thank you for this! NOW, we can have an informed conversation... :lol:
Save your breath... you'll need it to blow up your date

User avatar
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame
Posts: 17457
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:32 am
Location: Milford, MA
Contact:

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:39 pm

^

You are no longer ignorant! :lol: :lol:
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

User avatar
UMass'96
Senior
Posts: 986
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:30 pm
Location: Back in the good 'ole US of A not some 3rd world shithole

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by UMass'96 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:47 pm

Suddenly, I feel visionary, dare I say "Revolutionary" as the recent UMass TV commercial suggests. :D :lol:
Save your breath... you'll need it to blow up your date

Big Guy
newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 6:06 pm

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by Big Guy » Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:29 pm

I was looking at UMASS's 2024 season schedule and saw they had 5 games scheduled against MAC teams and three against SEC teams. That would make me think the MAC was UMASS's likely destination because of the relationships built up over the past 10 years. However, with Delaware going to Conference USA and no obvious 14th team to join UMASS in the MAC, I don't see this happening. I don't buy UCONN as a FB ONLY member. MAC has done this with multiple teams and all have left including UMASS. Besides, I think UCONN's move is to the ACC once Florida State and Clemson move on.

I think UMASS's move has to be to Conference USA and it has to be this year. My primary concern going forward if UMASS remains an independent is the availability of games.
For the Power 4 teams, how can they get more media money ? The answer is to play more league games. SEC currently plays 8 league games. What if that increases to 10 games ? That leaves less games to schedule with teams like us. Keep our fingers crossed !

Post Reply