Conference Realignment

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Bob1975
Freshman

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by Bob1975 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:57 am

Does anyone on this board actually have any insight into what Bamford and the administration are thinking or is this all just pure speculation?

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:16 am

I think MAC in not happening with them announcing they are disbanding the division format and putting schools in three team pods for scheduling.

Mtn West or bust!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:29 am

Bob1975 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:57 am Does anyone on this board actually have any insight into what Bamford and the administration are thinking or is this all just pure speculation?

There is likely some informed speculation from some. You just need to know what to filter through.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

shizzle787
Freshman

Post by shizzle787 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:41 am

Matt Brown (Extra Points) believes it is likely that UMass is #12. He is really plugged in with mid-major realignment. I assume it is an all-sports deal.

UMass'96
Senior
Location: Back in the good 'ole US of A not some 3rd world shithole

Post by UMass'96 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:59 am

Bob1975 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:57 am Does anyone on this board actually have any insight into what Bamford and the administration are thinking or is this all just pure speculation?
You should watch the most recent UMass Insider. Bamford was interviewed and indicated that he is looking to hold an update conference with Q&A in before year end to address the state of the football program and conference affiliation.
Save your breath... you'll need it to blow up your date

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:56 am

UMass'96 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:59 am
You should watch the most recent UMass Insider. Bamford was interviewed and indicated that he is looking to hold an update conference with Q&A in before year end to address the state of the football program and conference affiliation.
Doesn't say when next week.
Ryan Bamford
@UMassADBamford
·
15h
As promised a post-season football check-in. Bringing
@UMassChancellor
along to share his insights & vision.

Season ticket holders & Gridiron Club donors will get the segment shared via email. Portions will also be shared on our MIH/MBB/WBB game broadcasts next weekend. 🚩🚩
Jay Burnham
@Burnham_Jay
·
16h
🔒 it in... Sitting down with @UMassADBamford & @UMassChancellor next week to discuss @UMassAthletics & all things @UMassFootball

2 for the price of 1! Drop me a line on any themes or topics you'd like to hear about 👇👇
The A10 lacks upward mobility, a G5 conference gives you possibilities for the future.

Camby4Life
Senior

Post by Camby4Life » Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:06 pm

The football board is the Wild Wild West of umasshoops. The 3 high volume posters are Steve81, Steve Maz, and Zoomass.

Steve81 is emailing the MAC commissioner while Steve Maz and Zoomass went on a cell phone free adventure on peyote to Joshua Tree before the season.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:17 pm

Camby4Life wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:06 pm
The football board is the Wild Wild West of umasshoops. The 3 high volume posters are Steve81, Steve Maz, and Zoomass.

Steve81 is emailing the MAC commissioner while Steve Maz and Zoomass went on a cell phone free adventure on peyote to Joshua Tree before the season.
that made me chuckle.. thanks for that.. The reality is that my bantering is due to the feeling that we are doomed...UGH

Sheck
Hall of Fame

Post by Sheck » Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:15 pm

Steve81 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:56 am 2 for the price of 1! Drop me a line on any themes or topics you'd like to hear about 👇👇
Are we in a conference yet?
No.
No!
NO! And if you keep asking me I swear to God I will turn this program back and go home.
That's it, back to FCS!
It will get better.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:09 pm

Bamford's announcement will be that they are extending their relationship with the A-10 to ensure the stability of the athletic program, and they will continue to field offers from other conferences for their coveted football program!

DougW
Freshman

Post by DougW » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:15 pm

I was wondering the same thing.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:53 pm

This is my total bias view. Bamford never like the idea of MAC all sports. So when MTSU backs out and UMass has a chance to go all sports, he holds up a CUSA pamphlet, further aggravating the MAC after rejecting all sports in 2014.

He did not even consider CUSA could be an issue for our president. So then he turns to the MAC.

Bamford alone can not resolve this as he has been building relationships and working is butt off and no conference. It is probably up to the chancellor to see if he can, A) get the president to soften his academic objections to CUSA or B) smooth over built up resentment towards UMass from the MAC. The later will take years or a decade of no conference home.

There was a significant change this fall to all sports. Believe tis was do to our new Chancellor, visits from MWC Commissioner Nevarez, Charlie Baker NCCA President, and Army leaving independence. Reyes received his doctorate in economics from Texas A&M University in 2003 and a Dallas Cowboy fan.

Hence will be interesting to see what is said. However 8 years of talk and no results, is beyond frustrating. It's embarrassing that the administration can not get this down in over 8 years of trying, while many FCS programs had no problem finding conferences for full membership. The administration keeps fumbling.

Since option B, smoothing things over with the MAC could take years, praying option A can happen.
The A10 lacks upward mobility, a G5 conference gives you possibilities for the future.

chapter 11
Junior

Post by chapter 11 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:51 pm

Not huge cusa fan but helluva game on now

Merlin Samuels
Junior

Post by Merlin Samuels » Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:56 pm

Let’s just follow Delaware. That was a good series when I was in school, it would be cool to see it revived and played every season.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:30 am

Meanwhile the Pac 2 and Mtn West announced plans for Oregon St and Wash St to get 6 games with Mtn West schools. Lets connect the dots.. common sense that Mtn West should be adding UMass and UConn as FB only schools and now you have 7 games for the Pac 2's.

My next trick.. UMass to the Big East..another common sense move to get us where we always belonged..