Conference Realignment

Get ready for some MACtion
stevemaz
Senior

Re: Realignment: Texas/OK->SEC; UCF, BYU, Ciny,Houston->BigXII-dominos

Post by stevemaz » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:04 am

i think it is obvious we will see 20 schools in both big ten and sec by end of the summer. Next logical step is merger between Big 12 and Pac 10. This will leave the ACC with 9 school and the first 3 schools the ACC should add are WV, Cincy, and UCF. The ACC will join the 20 school club too eventually and the leading candidates are UConn, USF, and then UMass, Temple, and Memphis.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:46 am

^^^^
Steve any thoughts on the potential of 1 or 2 more super conferences outside the eventual big 4?

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:01 am

Looks like Virginia, NC, Fla St and Clemson headed to SEC. I suspect news of ND, Stanford, and 2 of Cal, Wash, Oreg, and maybe Duke headed to B1G will happen soon.

Bamford, you have to get us into the new ACC.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:30 am

Duke basketball in the B1G is an abomination of college sports. Makes me angry to think about.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:12 am

NCAA should have saw this coming and created separate football only leagues.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:15 pm

stevemaz wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:12 am NCAA should have saw this coming and created separate football only leagues.
Ncaa still might do this…

UMass'96
Senior
Location: Back in the good 'ole US of A not some 3rd world shithole

Post by UMass'96 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:03 pm

Save your breath... you'll need it to blow up your date

shizzle787
Freshman

Post by shizzle787 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:39 pm

My personal guesses (dominoes):
Big 12 vs. Pac-12. That is the battle. I think the Pac-12 ultimately wins as it has the better plan. At the end of the day, the Pac-12 has the better brands and less dead weight. They will win out. The Pac-12 expands to 16 by adding Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas Tech, and Iowa State.

Those six schools plus Texas and Oklahoma vote to dissolve the Big 12, and they have eight of the ten votes to do it so nobody has to pay any exit fees.

The remaining six schools decide to stick together and form a new conference: the Great Plains Conference. The new league loses its autonomous status.

The six schools (Baylor, WVU, Cincy, Houston, UCF, and BYU) invite six others to join: SMU, USF, Boise State, Memphis, Air Force, and Colorado State.

The Mountain West at this point has the upper hand over the AAC and invites Tulsa, Rice, and North Texas to get back to 12. Wichita State is invited for basketball.

Navy decides to go independent at this point as UTSA is the only Texas team remaining.

The remaining seven members (Temple, ECU, Tulane, Charlotte, UAB, FAU, and UTSA) look to raid the Sun Belt, American, and MAC. The AAC expands by seven: Buffalo, UMass, LaTech, Appalachian State, Coastal Carolina, Marshall, and Louisiana.

The Sun Belt responds by adding two schools to get to 12: WKU and MTSU.

The MAC is at 11 members and needs to act: they add Missouri State to get to 12 schools.

C-USA is now down to 6: NMSU, FIU, Liberty, UTEP, JSU, SHSU. They stay together and invite two FCS schools: EKU and McNeese State.

The remaining independents are Notre Dame, UConn, Army, and Navy.

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:34 pm

shizzle787 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:39 pm My personal guesses (dominoes):
Big 12 vs. Pac-12. That is the battle. I think the Pac-12 ultimately wins as it has the better plan. At the end of the day, the Pac-12 has the better brands and less dead weight. They will win out. The Pac-12 expands to 16 by adding Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas Tech, and Iowa State.

Those six schools plus Texas and Oklahoma vote to dissolve the Big 12, and they have eight of the ten votes to do it so nobody has to pay any exit fees.

The remaining six schools decide to stick together and form a new conference: the Great Plains Conference. The new league loses its autonomous status.

The six schools (Baylor, WVU, Cincy, Houston, UCF, and BYU) invite six others to join: SMU, USF, Boise State, Memphis, Air Force, and Colorado State.

The Mountain West at this point has the upper hand over the AAC and invites Tulsa, Rice, and North Texas to get back to 12. Wichita State is invited for basketball.

Navy decides to go independent at this point as UTSA is the only Texas team remaining.

The remaining seven members (Temple, ECU, Tulane, Charlotte, UAB, FAU, and UTSA) look to raid the Sun Belt, American, and MAC. The AAC expands by seven: Buffalo, UMass, LaTech, Appalachian State, Coastal Carolina, Marshall, and Louisiana.

The Sun Belt responds by adding two schools to get to 12: WKU and MTSU.

The MAC is at 11 members and needs to act: they add Missouri State to get to 12 schools.

C-USA is now down to 6: NMSU, FIU, Liberty, UTEP, JSU, SHSU. They stay together and invite two FCS schools: EKU and McNeese State.

The remaining independents are Notre Dame, UConn, Army, and Navy.
I’ve been sitting on this thought since UCLA and USC jumped to the B1G. The A10 jumps in and decides to sponsor football again and become a player at the G5 level.
Football: UMass, Buffalo, Temple, East Carolina, Memphis, Tulane, South Florida, UConn (football only), Navy (football only), Army (football only)
All other sports: UMass, Buffalo, St. Bonaventure, URI, Fordham, Temple, St. Joseph’s, George Washington, VCU, Richmond, George Mason, Davidson, East Carolina, Memphis, Tulane, South Florida, Loyola Chicago, Dayton, St. Louis, Wichita State

I think it makes a solid football conference and a strong basketball conference.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:52 am

I could see something like this, but maybe in a new conference.. getting rid of St bona, Duq, Fordham, GW, Lasalle, and GM at least.

UMass1991
Junior

Post by UMass1991 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:47 pm

stevemaz wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:52 am I could see something like this, but maybe in a new conference.. getting rid of St bona, Duq, Fordham, GW, Lasalle, and GM at least.
Or Umass,UConn, and Buffalo join the ACC. I know BC would vote no, but it would create a Buffalo/Syracuse rivalry and of course Umass/UConn/BC. Duke could turn to NC State. Maybe try to add Rutgers who can’t compete in the new Big 10

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:14 pm

Rutgers does fine to even quite good in many sports outside of football. They'll gladly cash the new $100M TV checks every year.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:04 pm

McKinney wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:14 pm Rutgers does fine to even quite good in many sports outside of football. They'll gladly cash the new $100M TV checks every year.
Well they do have that national championship:

Men's (1)
Fencing (1): 1949 (co-champions)

shizzle787
Freshman

Post by shizzle787 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:39 pm

If college football breaks off from the NCAA, each sport should be run by a separate organization:

The NCAA should run men's and women's basketball only.
At this point, it can keep three divisions or split into 4-5 divisions.

The USSF should run college soccer.

USA Hockey should run college hockey.

USA Baseball should run college baseball.

Tennis and golf could be run by the U.S. IOC.

This in my opinion would allow schools to pick which sports they value and leave the rest to club status.

It would also mean that realignment moves in football have no effect on any other sport.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:12 pm

^^^^
It's not a bad idea but it's easy enough just leaving every sport alone besides college football and let cfb do its own thing completely. Get the old Big East basketball conference back together. Add in Temple and us as well :D