Conference Realignment

Get ready for some MACtion
minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Re: Realignment: Texas/OK->SEC; UCF, BYU, Ciny,Houston->BigXII-dominos

Post by minutefanjsf » Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:56 am

econalum wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:52 pm Some interesting thoughts from Dabo Swinney of Clemson on the state of college football.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... e-football
I agree with him on many of his points, especially the transfer portal. Development of the roster is lost if you keep bringing in transfers. It encourages the guys you have to look at transferring too.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed May 25, 2022 3:35 pm

Last night at the Wormtown event, Bamford was asked to give an update on a new conference. His response was along these lines:

-He said they were looking hard at one conference but it didn't make sense for all our sports.
-He said they were not going to take a step backwards just for the sake of Football.
-Referenced that two of these coaches (Verdi and Martin) came here because we are in the A10 and wouldn't have if we were in a lesser conference. ---Pointed out that Tory came from the MAC, but some want us to go to that conference... doesn't make sense.
-Stated that he believes we are headed towards a split (think 1a/1aa again) and essentially said UMass would likely stand pat until that occurs, unless a very good situation arises.

Don echoed Bamford's comment about the overall department and need to put that first.

Just the messenger here... if I misheard any of these points, please correct me.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Thu May 26, 2022 8:23 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:35 pm Last night at the Wormtown event, Bamford was asked to give an update on a new conference. His response was along these lines:

-He said they were looking hard at one conference but it didn't make sense for all our sports.
-He said they were not going to take a step backwards just for the sake of Football.
-Referenced that two of these coaches (Verdi and Martin) came here because we are in the A10 and wouldn't have if we were in a lesser conference. ---Pointed out that Tory came from the MAC, but some want us to go to that conference... doesn't make sense.
-Stated that he believes we are headed towards a split (think 1a/1aa again) and essentially said UMass would likely stand pat until that occurs, unless a very good situation arises.

Don echoed Bamford's comment about the overall department and need to put that first.

Just the messenger here... if I misheard any of these points, please correct me.
Thanks for the update InnervisionsUMASS. Did he had something else that had you go the MAC route instead of CUSA. As it was CUSA there was such a hard push to get us with UConn as football only.
Go UMass!!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu May 26, 2022 8:29 am

Steve81 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:23 am

Thanks for the update InnervisionsUMASS. Did he had something else that had you go the MAC route instead of CUSA. As it was CUSA there was such a hard push to get us with UConn as football only.

He never mentioned which conference it was that they took a long hard look at, though I think we can all make educated guesses on that.

The MAC comment came directly from him, I did not insert that on my own. He specifically referenced the MAC, Verdi, and it not making sense... I did not insert any of my own thoughts or opinions into that post or this line.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Thu May 26, 2022 10:47 am

Thanks again and hope the best for all UMass sports. CUSA is the main conference we have been making a hard push for and makes perfect sense for football only. Hope football finds a home as independence is a serious head wind.
Go UMass!!

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Thu May 26, 2022 11:58 am

Steve81 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:47 am Thanks again and hope the best for all UMass sports. CUSA is the main conference we have been making a hard push for and makes perfect sense for football only. Hope football finds a home as independence is a serious head wind.
Hope football finds a home as independence is a serious head wind.

I don't know where we find games after 2023 to fill out a schedule. 12- 3 = 9 games. We play UConn, Army & "don't know the other indy" (Not ND). After Week 4, everybody is in their conference schedules.............. one or two FCS?

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Thu May 26, 2022 12:04 pm

We are set for games thru 2024. Maybe we can cobble together some sort of schedule after that.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Fri May 27, 2022 7:06 am

2025 us basically set as well. My thoughts remain football only in CUSA or MAC and get into Big East all other sports.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:18 am

I hate to circle back, but ole Steve Maz may very well have the last laugh... It is now very obvious that within 3-5 years the NCAA is going to divide FBS football. I always thought it would be along conference lines, but it is now apparent that it will just be 36-40 schools into 4 football only divisions where the likes of Vandy, Mizzou, Rutgers, Maryland, Minnesota, Purdue, Indiana, Iowa St, Kansas, Oregon st, wash st, etc will not be a part of the new entity. B1G will be inviting UMass and UConn to join their realigned fooball conference that will no longer have Michigan, Ohio St, Wiscy, Penn St and likely Michigan St.

My advice to Bamford is to get into the Big East and an invite for football will be forthcoming into either B1G or ACC

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:09 pm

USC and UCLA to the B1G.

https://twitter.com/wilnerhotline/statu ... 6453729281

There goes our spot in the B1G with UCONN. Maybe we can apply to back fill them in the remnants of the PAC.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:46 pm

^Not even the Big 12, the Big Ten! WOW

UCLA and USC in the same conference as Rutgers? Wtf

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:47 pm

^
air travel is a wonderful thing.
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:59 pm

Wow - crazy travel, especially for the non-revenue sports. Just shows the tiers even within FBS with SEC, BIG10 becoming even bigger top dogs.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:37 pm

Re: PAC 10 news.........we actually get an invite from SOMEBODY (maybe football only). was Bam right in the FOUR COACHES roundtable?

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:42 pm

https://twitter.com/ESPNRittenberg/stat ... 9459510272

That's a fun statement. ND might finally consider a conference since it's stretching from the NYC media market all the way to LA, and has most of their rivals already in there now that USC has joined up.