NIL = Death of Umass [FBS] Football

Get ready for some MACtion
eldonabe
Hall of Fame

NIL = Death of Umass [FBS] Football

Post by eldonabe » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:50 am

After hearing the recent news of Alabama's potential starting QB getting a $1.0M endorsement deal - I think it may be time to reevaluate FBS football at Umass. I also heard of a $2.0M deal for another QB (at a Tennessee school I think)

I have always questioned the decision - especially the ridiculous projections of playing at Gillette, but I have still supported the program. That said, the mismanagement of this whole move cannot be disputed. When you see other programs who have been in FBS for less time than Umass and still running circles around us, I think that speaks for itself. Umass is THE worst FBS program in the country; with this now in place, how do they even begin to bridge and already huge gap?

The NIL is [IMO] the official end of Umass FBS football. There is ZERO chance that Umass will be able to land impact recruits as all of them will be looking for a payday at far more successful school - where donors and businesses have much deeper pockets and the willingness to spend it. This will likely be the end of FBS in many other schools as well.

FCS or bust.....

Quann
Hall of Fame

Re: NIL = Death of Umass [FBS] Football

Post by Quann » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:09 am

It's definitely horrible for non-Power 5 schools. Probably solidifies them making their own subdivision at some point.

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:51 pm

What will also happen is that successful players at non-P5 schools will start looking to transfer to get some NIL money. It is going to be a real mess. Even if a school goes 1-AA or even D3, the players will still be eligible for NIL money and that could be a priority. Top schools that have lots of $$ (thinking Montana, SDSU, JMU in FCS) might still be able to lure good football players with NIL cash. It will come down to which school's alumni have the deepest pockets-professionalization of college sports.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:20 am

A reconstituted MAC is being discussed on twitter. In terms of UMass alumni support, I can't imagine anything worse.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:20 am

Quann wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:09 am It's definitely horrible for non-Power 5 schools. Probably solidifies them making their own subdivision at some point.
The P5 will break off from the NCAA and they will run their own show. But in reality, that has been going on since 1936 (the first AP National Championship). Don't worry, UMass is not dropping down to 1AA or lower. The NIL thing has NO bearing on the G5 schools. Only Idaho dropped down to 1AA because the school is a basketcase and Idaho is in the middle of nowhere. DON'T WORRY

Mizor
Sophomore

Post by Mizor » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:42 am

The kids that are going to attract NIL money probably weren't coming here in the first place. The transfer rules are a bigger concern.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:52 am

Hope you guys are right. I’m really starting to hate college football with these conference alignments. History means nothing anymore.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:02 pm

The SEC as the foundation of a 'SUPER CONFERENCE' gains more traction as TX and OK are in discussions to join it - much to the consternation of BIG 12, and perhaps other Power 5 leagues that are not the BIG 10.

NIL is just a part of this consolidation of big paydays, with TV being the ultimate prize.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... g-sec-move
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:24 am

The 4 Super Conference thing is going to become a reality and was why I pushed the idea of UMass going to Big Ten (..even though I knew it was never going to happen so had no choice but to grasp at straws) Big 12 losing Texas and Oklahoma to SEC will put dominoes in motion for Big 12 to fall apart with other schools going to Big 10 and Pac 12.

Is our best case scenario now pushing our way into the Big East? I think Big East will be a part of the Super Conference landscape due to hoops. The other alternative is being a part of some sort of reorganized AAC or new conference..

If there are going to be 64 Super Conference schools, the battle for last 4 Pac 12 spots, last 2 big 10's, and last ACC (I think ND sticks with ACC) will be among the following in ranking order:

1. Baylor (P12)
2. Kansas (B1G)
3. Houston (P12)
4. Oklahoma State (P12)
5. TCU (P12)
6. Iowa State (B1G)
7. Cincy (ACC 16th)
8. West Virginia.. the odd man out.. the academics hurts them
9. BYU
10 Kansas St
11. Texas Tech
12. UConn (could be ACC bound)

Maybe UMass can become a part of some sort of 14-16 team AAC which adds WV, Kansas St, Texas Tech

Not looking good for us...

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:48 pm

This is ridiculous. They are paid professionals at this point. The division in FBS will get wider and wider. Not sure what the answer is but this really kills the excitement of college football.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ource-says

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:37 am

So, what happens to the money if they get injured, get kicked out of school for whatever reason, or just plain suck at the collegiate level? And did I read it correctly that (except for three states) high school players can receive NIL money while still in high school? Yikes.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:01 am

harbo wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:37 am So, what happens to the money if they get injured, get kicked out of school for whatever reason, or just plain suck at the collegiate level? And did I read it correctly that (except for three states) high school players can receive NIL money while still in high school? Yikes.

I'm sure there is language in the contracts about having to stay in school/turning pro.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:10 am

The NIL marketplace for college athletes is in the early days. My sense is that as with endorsement deals there are very few who make the serious $$, and others are renting themselves/image to local car dealers, etc., and will have more impact where college sports dominate the sports landscape and have little or no pro sports competition.

I think that this transfer portal aspect is a much bigger threat to college sports stability.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...