Don Brown

Get ready for some MACtion
dennisdent
Senior

Re: Don Brown

Post by dennisdent » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:11 pm

KahunaK wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:24 pm Please stop advocating for former UMASS coaches and assistant coaches to lead UMASS. It didn't work with Whipple, Bruiser or Kellogg. UMASS needs to find coaches who want to be here (at least for a little while). Clearly Brown did not want to be here anymore (great while he was in Amherst). As far as I am concerned he is dead to me. Good luck to him wherever he goes but I hope it is not UMASS.
Only one poster here mentioned that they would want DB back...With this attitude UMass would have lost out on Dick Berquist, Jack Leaman, Bob Pickett, Jim Reid, Russ Yarworth, and Greg Cannella (apologize if I missed anyone)--all either former assistant coaches, players or both at UMass prior to becoming successful head coaches at UMass!

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:25 pm

dennisdent wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:11 pm
KahunaK wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:24 pm Please stop advocating for former UMASS coaches and assistant coaches to lead UMASS. It didn't work with Whipple, Bruiser or Kellogg. UMASS needs to find coaches who want to be here (at least for a little while). Clearly Brown did not want to be here anymore (great while he was in Amherst). As far as I am concerned he is dead to me. Good luck to him wherever he goes but I hope it is not UMASS.
Only one poster here mentioned that they would want DB back...With this attitude UMass would have lost out on Dick Berquist, Jack Leaman, Bob Pickett, Jim Reid, Russ Yarworth, and Greg Cannella (apologize if I missed anyone)--all either former assistant coaches, players or both at UMass prior to becoming successful head coaches at UMass!
I guess I needed to be really specific- FBS football and basketball coaches. There seems to be a pervasive attitude that the magic can be recreated just because they were here before. I think this especially true with Cal's coaching tree. Certainly Don Brown came back and was successful after his stint at Northeastern but he left. And I am sure you missed a lot of women's coaches who have been successful at UMASS.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:52 pm

KahunaK wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:25 pm
I guess I needed to be really specific- FBS football and basketball coaches. There seems to be a pervasive attitude that the magic can be recreated just because they were here before. I think this especially true with Cal's coaching tree. Certainly Don Brown came back and was successful after his stint at Northeastern but he left. And I am sure you missed a lot of women's coaches who have been successful at UMASS.
Actually, you were pretty specific and only mentioned male coaches also...DB left for a better job after doing an OUTSTANDING job for UMass--he didn't burn any bridges on his way out: https://www.masslive.com/sports/2009/01 ... s_foo.html

If Liam Coen/Alex Miller/Brian Smith/ would want to coach at UMass someday, why shouldn't they have the opportunity just because they were here during "magic" times.

Happy Holidays!

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:19 pm

this didn't take long...DB appears to be landing on his feet

https://247sports.com/college/massachus ... 157961019/
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:48 pm

AZ was the obvious next step.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:20 pm

m626t wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:19 pm this didn't take long...DB appears to be landing on his feet

https://247sports.com/college/massachus ... 157961019/
Landing in the pool works as well.....70 today in Tucson, 33 in Ann Arbor!

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:34 pm

Pretty nice resume. Too bad we couldn't get a coach like that....
Time to Win

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:56 pm

Good for him. He can buy his retirement house there at the same time.

classof62-64
Sophomore

Post by classof62-64 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:37 pm

Dick MacPhearson?

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:55 am

classof62-64 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:37 pm
Dick MacPhearson?
Him too! Way before my time on the earth as an assistant :lol: Great catch!