The Painful Truth-Good Intentions Gone Awry

Get ready for some MACtion
69MG
Hall of Fame

Re: The Painful Truth-Good Intentions Gone Awry

Post by 69MG » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:20 am

The best thing about this thread is that the posts are getting much shorter and easier to read. :lol:

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:31 am

eldonabe wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:44 am
Jack wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:14 am Moronic post. Thank you for your idiotic contribution.
Are you talking to me Jack?
I thought he meant all of us. :D :wink:

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:33 am

69MG wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:20 am The best thing about this thread is that the posts are getting much shorter and easier to read. :lol:
Funny! You would think a that a person with a screen name, UMie would understand that! :lol:

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:29 am

dennisdent wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:31 am
eldonabe wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:44 am
Jack wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:14 am Moronic post. Thank you for your idiotic contribution.
Are you talking to me Jack?
I thought he meant all of us. :D :wink:
A screenshot of Jack's post should pop up every time anyone makes a post here before it loads the updated thread.

Kelz626
Junior

Post by Kelz626 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:48 pm

This is the stupidest fuckin thread on this board....Oh My God it costs money to have a football team, real revelations were made in the 19 paragraph post

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:26 am

My thoughts are this.. I donate about 10K a year to UMass athletics and Isenberg. If they drop FBS football, I will never donate another cent as I refuse to support any organization that acts like a pussy. Hire the right people and things will improve. Coastal Carolina, San Jose State, UAB all started from ground zero. Coach Bell may turn out to be a failure too, but one thing for sure he has done a good job recruiting 3 star players. Let's see what happens... I have said this before but the Patriots have entered a 20 year abyss and this has opened the door for something new to follow.

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:23 am

If UMass dropped every sport that has had prolonged losing seasons there would be no sports offered at the university. It sucks, we all know it but we have to ride it out and hope for the best as none of us has any ability to make changes ourselves. The last thing I want to experience in my remaining years is not having Saturday afternoon football to attend in Amherst, this year was tough enough.

Continue supporting the program but let your voices be heard.

Go UMass!!

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:04 pm

Kelz626 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:48 pm This is the stupidest fuckin thread on this board....Oh My God it costs money to have a football team, real revelations were made in the 19 paragraph post

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:01 pm

stevemaz wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:26 am My thoughts are this.. I donate about 10K a year to UMass athletics and Isenberg. If they drop FBS football, I will never donate another cent as I refuse to support any organization that acts like a pussy. Hire the right people and things will improve. Coastal Carolina, San Jose State, UAB all started from ground zero. Coach Bell may turn out to be a failure too, but one thing for sure he has done a good job recruiting 3 star players. Let's see what happens... I have said this before but the Patriots have entered a 20 year abyss and this has opened the door for something new to follow.
OK....chill. As much as I'd like UMass to drop football in a year or two (I was super pumped when we went FBS), it's unlikely it will happen. Just read "UMass crosses the rubicon" and realize that this is what I call Academic Welfare. Way too many jobs at stake here for someone to kill the golden goose. Mass. is the 4th richest state in the US and I don't hear anyone bringing up the cost of UMass football. UConn was a different story because Conn. is mostly a bankrupt state.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:04 pm

^^^
I don’t get wanting to drop football. A good football program increases alumni pride and connection and enhances our university brand nationally. There is only one other sport that can do this as well: men’s basketball. Hockey appeals regionally, the south and west coast don’t care about college hockey. I would rather not drop 1 of the two sports that everyone in this country cares about. Not to mention, our program goes back over one hundred years, we have a deep history, I’m not willing to just dump that.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:11 pm

stevemaz wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:26 am My thoughts are this.. I donate about 10K a year to UMass athletics and Isenberg. If they drop FBS football, I will never donate another cent as I refuse to support any organization that acts like a pussy. Hire the right people and things will improve. Coastal Carolina, San Jose State, UAB all started from ground zero. Coach Bell may turn out to be a failure too, but one thing for sure he has done a good job recruiting 3 star players. Let's see what happens... I have said this before but the Patriots have entered a 20 year abyss and this has opened the door for something new to follow.
That’s a pretty awesome annual donation Stevemaz. Kudos to you for the strong support.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:15 am

Thanks for donating at a high level Stevemaz!

Please stop comparing us to those programs that were high end fcs teams when they transitioned.

That was NOT our situation. We had Morris, who inherited an elite fcs squad and which each year drifted down to mediocre fcs football.

Then we fu_ked up the transition with Molnar and McCutcheon scheduling mostly P5 teams. Completely destroying the winning culture.

Restoring the winning culture is most important. It will take several additional years of solid recruiting, some luck with transfers and scheduling.

Patience after suffering through all these years is extremely hard. I continue to donate to the Gridiron Club and all sports. Last year (2019) was the first year that felt all was lost. Then we got to play this year and those defensive freshmen took a leap and actual surprised me in a positive way. Believe with time we will get there but we have to ride it out. The four coaching changes have not worked. Let's support the program. Constructive criticism is fine. Think recruits on the fence can be influence reading the board and what we say.
Go UMass!!

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:30 pm

Quann wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:04 pm ^^^
I don’t get wanting to drop football. A good football program increases alumni pride and connection and enhances our university brand nationally. There is only one other sport that can do this as well: men’s basketball. Hockey appeals regionally, the south and west coast don’t care about college hockey. I would rather not drop 1 of the two sports that everyone in this country cares about. Not to mention, our program goes back over one hundred years, we have a deep history, I’m not willing to just dump that.
The reason I say this is that last 2 years, and next year as well, have been historically bad. Bell/Bamford LLC have utterly destroyed a once proud 1AA program. I don't WANT to drop football but we don't even belong on the same field as our opponents. I know that football increases alumni pride etc., but what pride now? As bad as Molnar was, we were competitive in a few of those games and won 2 of them WITH A BRAND NEW roster. The only place we shine now is ESPN's Bottom 10. The worst part of this debacle is the use of the word "culture". What in God's name does "culture" have to do with athletics where it's WINS or LOSSES?

I love college and pro football but we're not Jacksonville and we're not getting the 1st draft pick. In college football, it's all about recruiting and this moron Bell, who is supposed to be THE GREAT RECRUITER has us getting worse class rankings than Whipple did. Please end this charade. We're on a fool's errand.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:18 pm

FCS FCS FCS !!!
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:36 pm

NO NO NO !!!
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades