2021 Season

Get ready for some MACtion
dennisdent
Senior

Re: 2021 Season

Post by dennisdent » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:39 pm

Updated 2021 roster has been posted on the site. Still missing the transfer O-line players. The LB core is really young and thin at each position...The D-line and DB's have potential to be good but the rest of the team looks really young and inexperienced...Hopefully the team won't be too beat-up by the time they get to URI and Maine.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:40 am

dennisdent wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:39 pm Updated 2021 roster has been posted on the site. Still missing the transfer O-line players. The LB core is really young and thin at each position...The D-line and DB's have potential to be good but the rest of the team looks really young and inexperienced...Hopefully the team won't be too beat-up by the time they get to URI and Maine.
That whole review looks eerily familiar to 2000, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014.....

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:25 pm

2000! UMass was good team that season at 7 - 4 :lol: . Have to disagree, UMass had experienced LBs/WRs/RBs/QBs in the recent past--not under Dumbell.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:30 am

Transfer Oline guys are on there now. Vegas has the season over/under at 1.5. Has to be the over. I think the offense has some experience. Both transfer tackles have played and played pretty well on decent teams. I think the RBs are good. The QB has some talent and it sounds like if Colorado would have been a more pocket passer oriented team and not QB running team he would have won the job there. Not sure about the wr's. As Dent said, LBs are thin but the other position"s on D have a chance. We saw flashes from the D last year early in games but it couldn't last because the offense went 3 and out on every series.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:47 pm

TheInsider wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:30 am Transfer Oline guys are on there now. Vegas has the season over/under at 1.5. Has to be the over. I think the offense has some experience. Both transfer tackles have played and played pretty well on decent teams. I think the RBs are good. The QB has some talent and it sounds like if Colorado would have been a more pocket passer oriented team and not QB running team he would have won the job there. Not sure about the wr's. As Dent said, LBs are thin but the other position"s on D have a chance. We saw flashes from the D last year early in games but it couldn't last because the offense went 3 and out on every series.
yes the FAU game was competitive and our D showed up; got a safety!!!! I have to believe with a full roster we get 2 or 3 wins: UConn, URI, and UMaine. I used to call Bell Gomer and Molnar 2.0; let's give him another chance

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:14 pm

Bell hasn't done one thing to change how I feel about him as a head coach at this point in time. As a UMass fan, I want the program to succeed and that means I want Bell to succeed. I hope he has matured as both an coach and person over the past three years...Training wheels should be off by now :lol:

Having Alex Miller on the staff is a great thing and I feel that he will have a lot of impact on the program, with both the players and football alumni/supporters.

There isn't one player listed as a senior on the roster--never seen that before. Can't blame that on Covid because other teams have seniors.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:24 am

dennisdent wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:14 pm Bell hasn't done one thing to change how I feel about him as a head coach at this point in time. As a UMass fan, I want the program to succeed and that means I want Bell to succeed. I hope he has matured as both an coach and person over the past three years...Training wheels should be off by now :lol:

Having Alex Miller on the staff is a great thing and I feel that he will have a lot of impact on the program, with both the players and football alumni/supporters.

There isn't one player listed as a senior on the roster--never seen that before. Can't blame that on Covid because other teams have seniors.
Agreed: training wheels off but unfortunately as a low level G5 program, we can't afford the top shelf HC out there. We're relegated to "the up and coming" OC or DC at a P5 program. Molnar was OC at Notre Dame and Bell was OC at FSU. I read that Bell was communicating with Carvel as to how he built the hockey team into a National Champion. Bell obviously wants to win; even Vince Lombardi would have had a hard time getting wins in 2019. We've got 110 players on the roster and that should be enough to win a couple games.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:29 am

ZooMass84 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:47 pm
yes the FAU game was competitive and our D showed up; got a safety!!!! I have to believe with a full roster we get 2 or 3 wins: UConn, URI, and UMaine. I used to call Bell Gomer and Molnar 2.0; let's give him another chance
I don't comment much on football. I guess it's because I've mentally thrown in the towel. 3 wins is the floor for this season. If we can't beat the 2 FCS teams and 1 of the other 3 potentially bad teams then I'm not sure there is any reason to continue following the program.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:44 pm

I'm trying really, really hard not to be Dennis-downer this early in the season, but the whole we have 110 bodies so we have improved somehow (Walt Bell), just rubs me wrong. Quality over quantity matters the most, not bodies. Filling out the roster with FCS, D2/3 players, and walk-ons, none of whom were stars at the college level, is great for practice depth but not sure if that will make-up for the bad play calling and overall poor coaching that we have seen over the past sixteen games.

I've seen high school teams with thirty players beat teams with 70+players, with better coaching and players. Football is eleven on eleven...

Back to being positive! Just happy to have a mature QB and and a chance to have a decent run game.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:09 pm

dennisdent wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:44 pm I'm trying really, really hard not to be Dennis-downer this early in the season, but the whole we have 110 bodies so we have improved somehow (Walt Bell), just rubs me wrong. Quality over quantity matters the most, not bodies. Filling out the roster with FCS, D2/3 players, and walk-ons, none of whom were stars at the college level, is great for practice depth but not sure if that will make-up for the bad play calling and overall poor coaching that we have seen over the past sixteen games.

I've seen high school teams with thirty players beat teams with 70+players, with better coaching and players. Football is eleven on eleven...

Back to being positive! Just happy to have a mature QB and and a chance to have a decent run game.
There is not much choice with the present 25 limit each year. Even with the new transfer rules, it will take time for adjusting to the new policy and the 25 player limit. That said, the common 3-4 game win will seem really good, especially even with Whipple's offensive mind, we only previously reached 4 wins.
Go UMass!!

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:04 am

dennisdent wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:44 pm I'm trying really, really hard not to be Dennis-downer this early in the season, but the whole we have 110 bodies so we have improved somehow (Walt Bell), just rubs me wrong. Quality over quantity matters the most, not bodies. Filling out the roster with FCS, D2/3 players, and walk-ons, none of whom were stars at the college level, is great for practice depth but not sure if that will make-up for the bad play calling and overall poor coaching that we have seen over the past sixteen games.

How can you knock a 110 body roster? yes, quality over quantity but the last 2 years we had neither. I'm giving Bell (who I called Molnar 2.0) a brand new lease on the HC job. I honestly think Bell cares and is motivated. We're not in a P5 conference; what 4 or 5 star kid is going to want to play for us in 17,000 seat McGuirk? We're stuck with Bell as HC because it is what it is. As far as I'm concerned, after the Hockey National Championship, we're on a free-roll (to use a poker/gambling term).

I like your analogy of the high school football teams but my kid plays AAU basketball and I've seen when his team plays other teams who have no one on the bench and the other team is gassed by half time. My kid's team blew them out. It would be great if we could play URI and Maine to start off the season, but I'm optimistic about 2021. 2 or 3 wins!!!!

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:43 am

You're too kind to Bell! :D He's making over 600k a year and needs to care about his job. I've become numb to much of what Bell puts out, unlike Whip who let it rip when it came to comments to the media. Carvel is an example of a no BS coach and hope his actions rubbed off on Bell...

This team is ranked 130 in the pre-season polls but your opinion of Bell has improved in six months--pray tell why? From what I've hear it is Bamford pulling the strings on hiring Miller and getting more transfers. Bell has already lost two of his first top QB recruits in Brito and Koch and Brown/Cole as RBs.

Comparing AAU basketball to an FBS football team that still had almost 80 players on the roster is a large stretch! :shock:

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:59 am

Has anyone heard on who is going to be streaming the games this season?

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:25 am

dennisdent wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:43 am You're too kind to Bell! :D He's making over 600k a year and needs to care about his job. I've become numb to much of what Bell puts out, unlike Whip who let it rip when it came to comments to the media. Carvel is an example of a no BS coach and hope his actions rubbed off on Bell...

This team is ranked 130 in the pre-season polls but your opinion of Bell has improved in six months--pray tell why? From what I've hear it is Bamford pulling the strings on hiring Miller and getting more transfers. Bell has already lost two of his first top QB recruits in Brito and Koch and Brown/Cole as RBs.

Comparing AAU basketball to an FBS football team that still had almost 80 players on the roster is a large stretch! :shock:
To answer your question on why my opinion has improved in 6 months: he's loaded up on P5 portal transfer guys and mainly, because I don't have a choice. We're stuck with him for two more seasons and we'll cross our fingers that he's progressed in his two seasons as HC. Let's just hope the Killer B's (Bamford and Bell) can get a couple W's this season!!!! :lol:

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:55 am

^
Great answer! :lol: I wouldn't be so sure of him having two more years. God forbid the team goes 0 - 12 or 1 - 11 and is blown out in every game other then the win, like the first season. I hope that doesn't happen but if it does...the Bell will be chiming closing time!