2021 Season

Ringing the Bell on a new era of UM Football.
Steve81
Senior

Re: 2021 Season

Post by Steve81 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:23 pm

Here is the link and judge for yourself.
https://twitter.com/newftbj/status/1402053409872613387

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:44 pm

^ I guess writing "New England Football Journal" wasn't enough for those who want to judge for themselves. :lol:

Steve81
Senior

Post by Steve81 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:24 pm

dennisdent wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:44 pm ^ I guess writing "New England Football Journal" wasn't enough for those who want to judge for themselves. :lol:
Well most of UmassHOOPS poster are to busy (use busy term loosely) to do much research never mind listen to a 56 minute interview with the Football head coach. There was talk about the past, but also the extra year, changing the 25 limit rule, a few years away, transfer portal, positions, style of offense and questions regarding strength etc. es that later you do have some past cause to take with a grain of salt. Dennisdent, are you the fan that asked about scoring more than 21 points this year? That seem to be a bit of a hot button as he talked about and would not be hear if that is the case.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:34 pm

^So you know what every poster on here does every day. :lol: You were the one who posted the link and told them to judge for themselves. It takes what, 10 seconds to Google New England Football, not 56 minutes of viewing time to make a judgement.

No I wasn't the fan who asked the question, I know they only scored 12 last season, not 21! :lol: I remember all Bell's BS last season on how the O-line had improved and Merriweather is such a hard back to tackle (no he wasn't). He didn't mention Alex Miller once in the whole interview! To me that's odd when Miller is the person recruiting all the new O-line and running backs as the new RUNNING GAME COORDIANTOR!

I gave them the executive summary, to save hearing Bell's BS for 56 minutes. :P

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:37 pm

Steve81 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:24 pm Well most of UmassHOOPS poster are to busy (use busy term loosely) to do much research never mind listen to a 56 minute interview with the Football head coach.

This is not at all accurate. Why do you continue to do this?
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

chapter 11
Junior

Post by chapter 11 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:45 pm

I made time to listen and put off real work for an hour. Thought it was well done. Was awkward watching coach read that "question" and I thought he was going to rip out his tooth. Noticed he mentioned he pays his rent, guess he didn't feel the need to buy yet. However, I like his enthusiasm for the roster as he has each year. Would be great to see us competitive. He does seem like a genuine guy but what the hell do I know.

Upstate10
Junior

Post by Upstate10 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:03 pm

It’s a childish question to ask. If he laughed it off people would have gotten mad. If he calls the guy an internet Warriors (which he is) people get mad.

You can ask a question about the offense improving without being a smart ass.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:14 am

To me it didn't seem like a smart ass type question when the team only averaged 3 points a game last season. Bell needs to have a thicker skin and his friendly demeanor quickly changed, maybe exposing his true personality. It was not a mature response by an FBS head coach, or any senior leader in my view. Bell spends EVERY interview giving excuses on all the issues he inherited, when the team basically quit on him during year one and last season wasn't competitive at all. Glad he's starting to feel the heat!

Many of us "internet warriors" fund and support the football program. Isn't that why we have this message board!

Look, he recruited Brito and his first two RBs are now gone from the program, as well as some WRs. This season will be the time for him to put out or shut up and I'm looking forward to seeing improvement with the new coaches and players.

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:34 pm

I appreciated Bell talking more about the transfer portal.Gives a bit of context for why the program currently doesn’t have 85 scholarships if you can’t replace the scholarships lost to the portal.
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

minutefanjsf
Senior

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:19 pm

dennisdent wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:14 am To me it didn't seem like a smart ass type question when the team only averaged 3 points a game last season. Bell needs to have a thicker skin and his friendly demeanor quickly changed, maybe exposing his true personality. It was not a mature response by an FBS head coach, or any senior leader in my view. Bell spends EVERY interview giving excuses on all the issues he inherited, when the team basically quit on him during year one and last season wasn't competitive at all. Glad he's starting to feel the heat!

Many of us "internet warriors" fund and support the football program. Isn't that why we have this message board!

Look, he recruited Brito and his first two RBs are now gone from the program, as well as some WRs. This season will be the time for him to put out or shut up and I'm looking forward to seeing improvement with the new coaches and players.
What you see as excuses I see as a some honesty. It would be an excuse if he weren’t using to show how much better off the team is now, in his opinion. Does he have to bring it up every interview? probably not. When asked the same questions over and over again, you likely will get the same answers. The Brito and RBs being gone are a good sign, no?

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:07 pm

^
I understand your point about honesty, but wouldn't that be about his OWN coaching hires/recruiting/play calling mistakes/failures and not the previous coaching staff's mistakes? I have been in the military/corporate world long enough to understand that the day you take over an organization, it is now on you (you do get a honeymoon period but Bell's is long past). I would never compare Carvel to Bell, or the hockey program to the football program but Carvel came in with a plan and has stuck to it. What has been Bell's plan--hurry offensive first year, not hurry up the second.

I'm not defending Whip but I can't remember one instance that he talked about the things Bell consistently brings up about Whip's teams. Whip got right to recruiting transfers who could make a difference (Sifrin/Froh and others). Its going to be good to see Whip against Bell this fall and I wonder if the media will bring up all Bell's comments about what he was left with from Whip.

I see your point that losing Brito (still a recruiting fail) was a good thing but the other two I'm not sure about. We never knew what Brown did to be dismissed from the program and he has been an CAA honor roll student at URI: https://gorhody.com/news/2021/4/29/41-r ... -roll.aspx. Cole wasn't around long enough to see if he had potential. Hopefully the two new transfers will pan out!

Quann
Senior

Post by Quann » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:46 am

Asking Bell if they’ll score 21 points for the season is a totally legit question. The guy is supposed to be some offensive “guru” and has looked clueless on both sides of the ball. Am I in bizarro world if people are whining about a terrible coach that has proven less than zero at UMass getting a tough question during an interview (even if it was typed from the internet)? Put on your big boy pants Walt, time to prove yourself.

UMass'96
Junior
Location: Back in the good 'ole US of A not some 3rd world shithole

Post by UMass'96 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:38 am

Quann wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:46 am Asking Bell if they’ll score 21 points for the season is a totally legit question. The guy is supposed to be some offensive “guru” and has looked clueless on both sides of the ball. Am I in bizarro world if people are whining about a terrible coach that has proven less than zero at UMass getting a tough question during an interview (even if it was typed from the internet)? Put on your big boy pants Walt, time to prove yourself.
It's tough to run your offense when you don't have the players or depth to do it. And he clearly explained the roster problems that he has had the last two years.

I doubt that even this year that he will be able to run the offense that he wants. And likely we'll all be very frustrated and equally confused at the "offensive" play calling... :D
Save your breath... you'll need it to blow up your date

minutefanjsf
Senior

Post by minutefanjsf » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:05 pm

dennisdent wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:07 pm ^
I understand your point about honesty, but wouldn't that be about his OWN coaching hires/recruiting/play calling mistakes/failures and not the previous coaching staff's mistakes? I have been in the military/corporate world long enough to understand that the day you take over an organization, it is now on you (you do get a honeymoon period but Bell's is long past). I would never compare Carvel to Bell, or the hockey program to the football program but Carvel came in with a plan and has stuck to it. What has been Bell's plan--hurry offensive first year, not hurry up the second.

I'm not defending Whip but I can't remember one instance that he talked about the things Bell consistently brings up about Whip's teams. Whip got right to recruiting transfers who could make a difference (Sifrin/Froh and others). Its going to be good to see Whip against Bell this fall and I wonder if the media will bring up all Bell's comments about what he was left with from Whip.

I see your point that losing Brito (still a recruiting fail) was a good thing but the other two I'm not sure about. We never knew what Brown did to be dismissed from the program and he has been an CAA honor roll student at URI: https://gorhody.com/news/2021/4/29/41-r ... -roll.aspx. Cole wasn't around long enough to see if he had potential. Hopefully the two new transfers will pan out!
I actually defended Whip a lot and he definitely talked about a lack of players and depth even in year four when it was all on him at that point. I’m not defending Bell. I wish he were more honest about his failures instead of just saying that’s just how it is, for sure. He hasn’t shown me anything that says he is a good football coach. He seems to be a genuinely “good” guy. That isn’t enough for sure. Whip definitely left the cupboard bare. Whip was great at getting the best to of who he had (on offense) and scheming to score. Bell seems to have a plan that included an overhaul of the type of students getting recruited-not football players. My hope, but I am not convinced, is that year two was a glorified summer camp and scrimmages, so there was no scheming per se.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:06 pm

Looking forward to seeing what impact Alex Miller has on the OLine. I love the hire and hope he can get some continuity and toughness out of the group
The E sho, best show in town