2021 Season

Get ready for some MACtion
Jack
Senior

Re: 2021 Season

Post by Jack » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:09 am

Hopefully Alex Miller will be an upgrade. But lately the program has consistently failed to retain experienced OLmen entering Senior or Grad years - i.e. when the Linemen are typically at their best. The latest example is Brian Abosi - Somebody will have to explain to me how we let our 6'8 Starting RT leave to play for Stonybrook... :roll: :roll: :roll: Recruiting, Developing and Retaining OL is critically important for the program to improve.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:15 pm

Abosi was terrible last season! He was soft and slow. Focus on him directly during any of games and you'll see how bad he was. Hopefully he does better at the FCS level. Putting all the extra weight seemed to slow him down for pass blocking and he was never a physical run blocker to begin with. Wish him luck, but no loss at all!

I do agree that the program is losing too many O line players before they mature.

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:24 am

He was the starting RT which means that he was the best option on the roster for RT. So you can say its "no loss at all" but it actually is a loss and one problem w/that is we now have to replace both starting tackles. At least retaining Abosi would have given the OL some critically needed depth at the position. So we bring in Transfer OT Brian Parish and we'll see. There is some younger OL depth on the roster and hopefully Miller can bring them along, it just sucks losing experienced OL every off season and then needing newcomers to step up etc. We need continuity and development in order to succeed.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:12 am

Typical Jack! Asks a question, gets an honest answer and then answers the question himself--why even ask the question if you already know the answer! There is a word for people like that... :roll: :lol:

Quality FBS players transfer within the FBS (Driscoll/RTI/Horn and others), they don't drop down to the FCS when there is the ability to play without sitting out for a season like in the past. Losing a weak player, no matter their amount of experience is no loss. He only started because Wade was constantly injured and there was no depth behind him. He graduated and freed up a scholarship--no loss.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:41 am

Jack wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:24 am ,it just sucks losing experienced OL every off season and then needing newcomers to step up etc. We need continuity and development in order to succeed.

Thats old school... see basketball thread. Its all about transfers, its easy 8)
Time to Win

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:28 pm

dennisdent wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:12 am Typical Jack! Asks a question, gets an honest answer and then answers the question himself--why even ask the question if you already know the answer! There is a word for people like that... :roll: :lol:

Quality FBS players transfer within the FBS (Driscoll/RTI/Horn and others), they don't drop down to the FCS when there is the ability to play without sitting out for a season like in the past. Losing a weak player, no matter their amount of experience is no loss. He only started because Wade was constantly injured and there was no depth behind him. He graduated and freed up a scholarship--no loss.
what's the word for people like that?

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:32 am

Hope everyone who can, will step and support the Gridiron Club--especially you Jack :wink: !

Dear UMass Gridiron Members!

First, thank you for your support of UMass Football! Over the last year, you have been an integral part in the improvement of the program on and off the field.

We are heading into the second day of UMass Gives, and we have set a goal of 250 football donors for the campaign. As an incentive, alum Phil Roland ’75, and his wife Linda ‘76, will make a $10,000 gift to UMass Football once the 250 donor mark is hit. As of Friday morning, we currently sit at 113 total donors to football.

Please encourage a teammate, alumni or friend of the program to make a donation today. It’s not about the amount but the participation, and every gift matters.

https://minutefund.umass.edu/project/25966

Thank you in advance, and contact me directly if you have any questions!

Go UMass!

--------------------------------------------------

David Biancamano

UMass Athletics, The Minutemen Club

Senior Associate Athletic Director

[email protected]

C: 413.387.3618

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:02 am

dennisdent wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:32 am Hope everyone who can, will step and support the Gridiron Club--especially you Jack :wink: !

Dear UMass Gridiron Members!

First, thank you for your support of UMass Football! Over the last year, you have been an integral part in the improvement of the program on and off the field.

We are heading into the second day of UMass Gives, and we have set a goal of 250 football donors for the campaign. As an incentive, alum Phil Roland ’75, and his wife Linda ‘76, will make a $10,000 gift to UMass Football once the 250 donor mark is hit. As of Friday morning, we currently sit at 113 total donors to football.

Please encourage a teammate, alumni or friend of the program to make a donation today. It’s not about the amount but the participation, and every gift matters.

https://minutefund.umass.edu/project/25966

Thank you in advance, and contact me directly if you have any questions!

Go UMass!

--------------------------------------------------

David Biancamano

UMass Athletics, The Minutemen Club

Senior Associate Athletic Director

[email protected]

C: 413.387.3618
So it is really weird that I along with others I know in the Gridiron club aren’t receiving emails. How often do they send things out?

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:44 pm

dennisdent wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:12 am Typical Jack! Asks a question, gets an honest answer and then answers the question himself--why even ask the question if you already know the answer! There is a word for people like that... :roll: :lol:

Hey Dennis I always support the Gridiron club. You want to match my contribution Mr. Big Bucks ????? Lets Go Super Fan

Typical Dennis - totally incapable of having a discussion and totally intolerant of anybody disagreeing w/him without engaging in juvenile / idiotic personal attacks. Earth to Dennis - we all are not required to agree with all of your personal opinions - Got It ???? How dare anybody not agree w/Dennis' opinion about Offensive Line Depth and Development .... LMAO !!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:51 pm

Jack wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:44 pm

Hey Dennis I always support the Gridiron club. You want to match my contribution Mr. Big Bucks ????? Lets Go Super Fan

Typical Dennis - totally incapable of having a discussion and totally intolerant of anybody disagreeing w/him without engaging in juvenile / idiotic personal attacks. Earth to Dennis - we all are not required to agree with all of your personal opinions - Got It ???? How dare anybody not agree w/Dennis' opinion about Offensive Line Depth and Development .... LMAO !!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Already made my donation to the Gridiron Club yesterday. How about you match mine? Send me an IM and I'll tell you the amount to match. You match mine and I'll double my first donation. Put your big fat mouth to good use for the football program! :P

As of now five hours left and the top donation is 10K.
Last edited by dennisdent on Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:55 pm

So it is really weird that I along with others I know in the Gridiron club aren’t receiving emails. How often do they send things out?

Random. Maybe they are going to your spam mailbox.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Sat May 01, 2021 8:19 am

Are they allowing fans at the spring game? If so and anyone goes how about giving an opinion of what it looked like.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sat May 01, 2021 9:33 am

Game is only for Gridiron Club members. Really sad that it isn't be streamed anywhere that I can find. My high school streamed games this spring on YouTube but UMass can't...

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sat May 01, 2021 10:09 am

Interesting that UM created a problem where one didn’t exist with the Spring “Game”, I went to the last couple they had and there would be ZERO problem exceeding the attendance numbers based on those games. Now, they have created animosity with people who support the team through season tickets, but don’t belong to the “Look How Important I Am” booster club! Whipped did an awful job of promoting his team and creating a connection to the community and it looks like Bellrung is doing a worse job.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sat May 01, 2021 10:26 am

Totally agree! So bush league that they couldn't get a stream, when high school JV teams do it now on YouTube! Bell is so clueless it isn't funny!