Game 3: FAU

Get ready for some MACtion
dennisdent
Senior

Re: Game 3: FAU

Post by dennisdent » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:15 pm

Hey Bell stop hugging the cop you ass, you're team has scored 12 points in three games! Bell is a LOSER!

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:21 pm

TheInsider wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:18 pm You noticed that too lol... D is playing as good as its had in years...
Watched every play tonight: the defense and special teams were awesome with blocked punts Tanner Davis and George George with a 60 yard punt to their 10. The OL sucks but very impressed tonight.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:24 pm

dennisdent wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:15 pm Hey Bell stop hugging the cop you ass, you're team has scored 12 points in three games! Bell is a LOSER!
Yeah I saw that too, but we need to give our QB more than 1 or 2 seconds, the OL is what's killing us. I've ragged on Bell for a year now but not tonight. We lost but nailed Posey good in the first half. Nothing to be ashamed of tonight.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:25 pm

chapter 11 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:49 pm Seems defense and offense had different camps this week. The D is more pumped and prepped than I can remember during the last few years. Let the offense feed off and not let defense down. The D is on high octane and needs offense to provide them rest for stretches too.
Our D is top notch playing possessed.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:27 pm

jjmc85 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:05 pm We’re a decade into the FBS transition and there is no improvement. It’s depressing.
agreed but how do you score a TD when your OL sucks gives the QB 1 or 2 seconds to throw?

Ajmal
Junior

Post by Ajmal » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:28 pm

It's just so hard to do much of anything without a serviceable quarterback. We have five on the roster, and I can confirm that four of them have a negative WAR. Just abysmal — albeit against a Taggart-led defense.

I dunno. Maybe Koch figures it out.

It's a shame because the defense showed some really good things tonight. If we had a Frohnapfel or Coen or even a Ford, maybe we're right there with FAU at the end.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:30 pm

We have flipped from good offense and no defense to good defense and no offense. Yes we crated last year and now back to being watchable. The recruiting is better with just one really good recruiting class with Whip to what is looking like back to back good recruiting classes. Extremely young and think you will be eating crow in the next few years.
Go UMass!!

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:31 pm

ZooMass84 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:24 pm
dennisdent wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:15 pm Hey Bell stop hugging the cop you ass, you're team has scored 12 points in three games! Bell is a LOSER!
Yeah I saw that too, but we need to give our QB more than 1 or 2 seconds, the OL is what's killing us. I've ragged on Bell for a year now but not tonight. We lost but nailed Posey good in the first half. Nothing to be ashamed of tonight.

I'm going to keep on Bell because he was brought in because he was an offensive/QB coach and those are by far the weakest area of the program in year two. Does this team even know how to do a jet sweep??? I can't remember them running it once in three games.

Very interesting that Taggert kept trying to score with a minute left...

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:33 pm

obviously the O line is a work in progress. another year in the weight room, and a few more O line recruits, we may see progress.
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:39 pm

Steve81 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:30 pm We have flipped from good offense and no defense to good defense and no offense. Yes we crated last year and now back to being watchable. The recruiting is better with just one really good recruiting class with Whip to what is looking like back to back good recruiting classes. Extremely young and think you will be eating crow in the next few years.
Who will be "eating crow"--the few UMass football fans on here that still care about the program! Every one us will be happy to have a competitive program again! If the recruiting is better, how does Whip have so many former players in the NFL right now? How is recruiting better when the team doesn't have a QB, RB or offensive line that is even FCS quality? Restivo does the recruiting for the defense and that's where the talent is right now.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:03 am

In my unqualified opinion, the O line is the problem. I'd like to see Koch and Merriweather work behind a reasonable line to see if they can play. It's hard to judge them now when there is no pass protection and no holes to run through.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:04 am

dennisdent wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:39 pm
Steve81 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:30 pm We have flipped from good offense and no defense to good defense and no offense. Yes we crated last year and now back to being watchable. The recruiting is better with just one really good recruiting class with Whip to what is looking like back to back good recruiting classes. Extremely young and think you will be eating crow in the next few years.
Who will be "eating crow"--the few UMass football fans on here that still care about the program! Every one us will be happy to have a competitive program again! If the recruiting is better, how does Whip have so many former players in the NFL right now? How is recruiting better when the team doesn't have a QB, RB or offensive line that is even FCS quality? Restivo does the recruiting for the defense and that's where the talent is right now.
Have said it before and will say it again. Like McCall, who needed to replace his assistants to save his job, think some assistant coaches as Angelo Mirando will be on the hot seat. Most FBS programs get players in the NFL as well as elite fcs programs. Not disagreeing the OL and QB are not performing.

As UMass fans, just follow the money, donations have been fine. Some fans do not post, some post on Fight Massachusetts and some on both sites. What matters is the money.
Go UMass!!

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:36 am

Obviously the Oline is an issue.. as for the QB, he's a freshman with no camp in a strange year and it looks like it. I will kinda give a pass to the offense. They just need more time. If they are able to have some sort of late spring practice and a full summer camp and the offense still looks pathetic this time next year... well that's a different story.

photoman
Senior

Post by photoman » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:14 am

If it weren't for the TV announcers the final score would have been 17 to 2. "If UMass goes three and out here their defense will be worn down". (UMass follows the script and goes three and out handing ball over to FAU) shortly thereafter FAU qb Posey right up the middle for a 70 yd touchdown run). On another note how ridiculous was that defensive face mask penalty when the kid almost took off Posey's head. (Pulled his helmet off). Not exactly The accidental grab and let go kind of face mask there. Had that been ruled some kind of an unsportsmanlike conduct with ejection I probably wouldn't have even been too upset about it.

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:39 pm

1. No offense, but ...
2. Safety in numbers
The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!