Game 2D: @ Marshall - 11/7 @2:30pm

Ringing the Bell on a new era of UM Football.
dennisdent
Senior

Re: Game 2D: @ Marshall - 11/7 @2:30pm

Post by dennisdent » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:07 am

Steve81 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:36 am
dennisdent wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:22 pm UMass is getting 100k for the game. So this time its only a $20k loss to the AD. So far this season it will COST UMass 80k to get its azz kicked on national TV. Would have been smarter not to play this fall like UConn and ODU have. I don't see any positives to losing money, games and dignity...Hopefully the money is coming out of Bell's and Bamford's deep pockets.
Don't understand this view, hence my comments when seeing post like this.
We all know the players need game day experience as well as the coaches, hence my comments.
Getting destroyed will not change anyone's view of us, since it's been really hard this decade going back to the decision to promote Morris to head coach. If anything we do get credit for playing. We are talking short money for valuable experience.
My view is that the AD has had to let people go, furlough employees and take pay cuts due to Covid this fall, so I was under the impression that they would make some money back by playing games this fall season. I didn't know they were going to LOSE money on the games so far. The team is not ready to play this fall due to having such a young roster and inexperienced (really over their head) coaching staff. I hope something good comes out playing this fall and worth it to lose money at the same time...At the end of the fall season it would be interesting to see how much money it cost to play the games. So far 80k spent (estimate) vs zero points scored. Wasn't the reason moving from FCS given as financial--well this doesn't look very financially smart to me...

Steve81
Senior

Post by Steve81 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:13 am

Because some day a conference home for football, will impact basketball. Most likely scheduling, but could be anything down the road.

People do like to inflate things as the football budget is 50M when it's closer to 40M, but what is 10 million among friends. So have an extremely jaded view that they are basketball first posters here, who take pleasure at swiping at the football program. Granted it is a jaded view as they swipe at the basketball program. Reading a game thread, oh they horrible, then we put a run together, wow this is great. A bit of an exaggeration.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:17 am

Steve... we're all on the same team here.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Steve81
Senior

Post by Steve81 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:22 am

dennisdent wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:07 am
dennisdent wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:22 pm UMass is getting 100k for the game. So this time its only a $20k loss to the AD. So far this season it will COST UMass 80k to get its azz kicked on national TV. Would have been smarter not to play this fall like UConn and ODU have. I don't see any positives to losing money, games and dignity...Hopefully the money is coming out of Bell's and Bamford's deep pockets.
We all know the players need game day experience as well as the coaches, hence my comments.
Getting destroyed will not change anyone's view of us, since it's been really hard this decade going back to the decision to promote Morris to head coach. If anything we do get credit for playing. We are talking short money for valuable experience.
My view is that the AD has had to let people go, furlough employees and take pay cuts due to Covid this fall, so I was under the impression that they would make some money back by playing games this fall season. I didn't know they were going to LOSE money on the games so far. The team is not ready to play this fall due to having such a young roster and inexperienced (really over their head) coaching staff. I hope something good comes out playing this fall and worth it to lose money at the same time...At the end of the fall season it would be interesting to see how much money it cost to play the games. So far 80k spent (estimate) vs zero points scored. Wasn't the reason moving from FCS given as financial--well this doesn't look very financially smart to me...
210 fans donated $130,485 to the Gridiron club, so 60k and 20k is about right. With the extra money, can not say people do not want to be laid off. Asked my boss many times to be laid off and they want do it. Know people, who got 10k extra being laid off and others asked to be laid off and will go back to work in the spring. Do wish everyone the best and know some fields have limited opportunities.

Do hear you, but my view is different. The staff and all those young players need the experience. We did an extra fund raiser and gave double to the football program so we could play some games.

Forgot to answer the question of why we moved up. We wanted to be like our peers, AAU or close to AAU universities are largely FBS. For the most part, only tiny states population wise do not have FBS football as Delaware, Vermont, NH, Maine, and RI. The financial reason was that on balance we would not lose more money than fcs football with some upside possible.
Last edited by Steve81 on Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:31 am

They should play this game in honor nascar bob marcum.

Maybe let him do a virtual coin flip (I believe nascar is still alive and apologize if he has passed.)

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:39 pm

Preecher, maybe its about time to take it easy on Bob Marcum... I know he has his critics, but he also has many loyal friends including former UMass players and coaches... he'll be turning 84 next week and he did quite a few good things for UMass.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:15 pm

I consider Bob a friend. When my daughter graduated from Ithaca College in 2002 with a degree in Sport Management I asked him if he could help her get a job with some NASCAR outfit. Unfortunately he could not help her out. Eventually she did get a job here in Mooresville with a racing organization run by the son of JC Aganian doing financial stuff for several NASCAR drivers. So I appreciated the effort he did to help her out.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:58 am

Jack wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:39 pm Preecher, maybe its about time to take it easy on Bob Marcum... I know he has his critics, but he also has many loyal friends including former UMass players and coaches... he'll be turning 84 next week and he did quite a few good things for UMass.
I was not being funny i was dead serious. they should honor bob, he made a contribution to both schools . had we had bob's leadership to d1a we wouldnt be in this situation of losing.

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:41 am

Preech, referring to Marcum as "Nascar Bob" doesn't make you seem serious. It comes off as being somewhat disingenuous or less than respectful. I agree w/you that Bob wouldn't have hired Kevin Morris as HC in 2009 - that idiotic decision was on Mcutcheon who then doubled down by hiring Charly Molnar...

Camby4Life
Senior

Post by Camby4Life » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:09 am

Marshall is -17 against FAU today. They also have FIU next week. Ranked 22 right now and could be 6-0 and a top 20 team when we play them.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:45 am

Over / Under on total offensive points scored is 0.5 - and I will take the under. The line on that game has to be in the 40's.

As for Marcum. He was not a terrible AD, but he was lazy. I think he took the easy way out with Bruiser, then he really screwed up looking at HWSNBN. I know that is an armchair QB assessment - but I was against both.

That said, there was a moment I thought Lappas might work - he had some name recognition should have helped with recruiting, but good lord he was a shitty in game coach. Marcum fucked that search up bigly, he had some really good young names available (I remember Fran McCaffrey specifically off the top of my head, but there were 2 or 3 others that would have been a great fit) that were on the way up and not on the way down..... He tried to go splashy with "name recognition" - Project Failed.

His football prowess was just a bad. He should have paid Don Brown anything he wanted to stay here - that was a no-brainer.

As much as I hated the Bru hire, I can not blame him for that one completely. Cal endorsed him and there is a lot of precedent in bringing up the assistant. I still say that hire was like handing the keys to your Ferrari to your 17 year old who just got his license.
In Matt McCall I trust!

ZooMass84
Sophomore

Post by ZooMass84 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:37 am

eldonabe wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:45 am Over / Under on total offensive points scored is 0.5 - and I will take the under. The line on that game has to be in the 40's.

As for Marcum. He was not a terrible AD, but he was lazy. I think he took the easy way out with Bruiser, then he really screwed up looking at HWSNBN. I know that is an armchair QB assessment - but I was against both.

That said, there was a moment I thought Lappas might work - he had some name recognition should have helped with recruiting, but good lord he was a shitty in game coach. Marcum fucked that search up bigly, he had some really good young names available (I remember Fran McCaffrey specifically off the top of my head, but there were 2 or 3 others that would have been a great fit) that were on the way up and not on the way down..... He tried to go splashy with "name recognition" - Project Failed.

His football prowess was just a bad. He should have paid Don Brown anything he wanted to stay here - that was a no-brainer.

As much as I hated the Bru hire, I can not blame him for that one completely. Cal endorsed him and there is a lot of precedent in bringing up the assistant. I still say that hire was like handing the keys to your Ferrari to your 17 year old who just got his license.
I will take the under and probably 5 first downs. Final score 77-0. Maybe a FG???? He couldn't hit a 35 yarder???

ZooMass84
Sophomore

Post by ZooMass84 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:39 am

It's Massachusetts: NO state "worker" is losing their "job".........

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:15 pm

ZooMass84 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:39 am

It's Massachusetts: NO state "worker" is losing their "job".........
I will never make jokes about people losing their Jobs--not cool at all!

"The system has already laid off 134 of its nearly 24,000 workers and will terminate employment of another 397. About 1,125 student and temporary positions have also been cut, 790 open full-time equivalent jobs will not be filled, and more than 3,000 employees face furloughs this fiscal year, according to the summary."

https://www.milforddailynews.com/news/2 ... nding-cuts

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:26 pm

eldonabe wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:45 am Over / Under on total offensive points scored is 0.5 - and I will take the under. The line on that game has to be in the 40's.

Blade, Robert Marcum was not on Don Brown. That was a Thorr/JMC hire and then JMC when he left. Robert Marcum was long gone when that went down. Jack, I am sorry for calling him Nascar Bob.