Game 2D: @ Marshall - 11/7 @2:30pm

Get ready for some MACtion
ZooMass84
Senior

Re: Game 2D: @ Marshall - 11/7 @2:30pm

Post by ZooMass84 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:40 pm

econalum wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:58 pm As of today, MArshall ranked 22. NR before.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/t ... ering-herd
56-0 Marshall by the half

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:03 pm

We get trampled, but look better while doing it.
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:11 pm

Excellent news !!! Glad to have this game and another opportunity for our team to prepare to improve and develop. I had hoped to see a game against Army and hopefully we can get a few more games scheduled including Army. Our team needs the practices and game experiences in order to keep improving and becoming more competitive. I'm far less concerned about the scoreboard than I am with getting the experience and preparation for future improvement and success as a program. That is not going to occur by having our guys run around in the bubble doing drills.

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:17 pm

Jack wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:11 pm Excellent news !!! Glad to have this game and another opportunity for our team to prepare to improve and develop. I had hoped to see a game against Army and hopefully we can get a few more games scheduled including Army. Our team needs the practices and game experiences in order to keep improving and becoming more competitive. I'm far less concerned about the scoreboard than I am with getting the experience and preparation for future improvement and success as a program. That is not going to occur by having our guys run around in the bubble doing drills.
Please show me any statistical measure that has shown improvement with this new staff.
Turns out, just because you write your name on a baby doesn't mean you get to keep it."

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:44 pm

Dennis where are you getting the data from on the cost of these games? Good work?

Jack, so they lose 56-0 nothing to marshall, what measurable areas do you believe they can improve on?
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

Kelz626
Junior

Post by Kelz626 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:16 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:44 pm Dennis where are you getting the data from on the cost of these games? Good work?

Jack, so they lose 56-0 nothing to marshall, what measurable areas do you believe they can improve on?
Quite a few areas they can improve such as: playing a D1 QB at QB, not having 12 men on the field coming out of a media timeout, having a competent offensive coordinator calling the plays, calling for a fair catch on a kickoff and getting the ball at the 25 instead of returning kicks out to the 12 yard line, punting the ball more than 7 yards down field, making a FG, scoring points in general, tackling instead of arm tackling, OL actually blocking...just to name a few

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:38 pm

Jack wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:11 pm Excellent news !!! Glad to have this game and another opportunity for our team to prepare to improve and develop. I had hoped to see a game against Army and hopefully we can get a few more games scheduled including Army. Our team needs the practices and game experiences in order to keep improving and becoming more competitive. I'm far less concerned about the scoreboard than I am with getting the experience and preparation for future improvement and success as a program. That is not going to occur by having our guys run around in the bubble doing drills.
Swear people on this board taking the situation so personally. We all know we need improvement. Game experience is so valuable and very happy for this game. In fact if it was not for covid concerns would have really enjoyed to take a trip down there. There fans are almost complete opposites culturally then WVU fans.

A quote from one of their fans.
Marshall and WVU people are at the opposite end of the hospitality spectrum. WVU fans are self entitled who thinks everything should be handed to them. I read some twitter posts Sunday when the AP and Coaches polls came out. Some of them lost their ever friggin minds especially not only since Marshall entered both polls but also seeing Coastal Carolina enter both polls.
And a quote from Umass74.blogsport.com
UMass and Marshall last played on Sept 8th, 2001. Mrs Blog and I were there. We had a good time talking with the friendly Herd fans. Like many of Whipple's games, UMass moved the ball on Marshall, but UMass could not stop Byron Leftwich and the Herd's offense.
Go UMass!!

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:43 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:44 pm Dennis where are you getting the data from on the cost of these games? Good work?

Marshall game:
https://www.gazettenet.com/UMass-footba ... 7-36874281

GSU game:
https://www.onlineathens.com/sports/202 ... ed%20Benko.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:55 pm

Steve81 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:38 pm
Swear people on this board taking the situation so personally. We all know we need improvement. Game experience is so valuable and very happy for this game. In fact if it was not for covid concerns would have really enjoyed to take a trip down there. There fans are almost complete opposites culturally then WVU fans.
Seems like you are the one taking it "personally" by attacking all of us who post our OPIONONs on a MESSAGAE BOARD for UMass football! I'm on a reddit for veterans and the nice thing is that being a JERK is not accepted and sometimes posters are banned. I may not agree with Jack a lot but I RESPECT his right to post here without attacking him personally.

Now back to hating on Walt Bell and his horrendous coaching ability! :wink:

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:57 pm

Dennis I respect your opinions as well. I'm just glad they are playing some games. I think getting live game experience is pretty vital to improving the team. sure I wold have preferred to see a few cupcakes on the schedule but its simply not feasible given this crazy pandemic season. Its good to see the AD and the program doing the best it can do to get these kids some games to play.

Also I was critical of Coach Bell last season, but I feel that he deserves the chance to get his guys and build the type of program he envisions will be successful - to me that is simply fair to give Bell his shot. And the team played better in the 2d half against GSU than it did last season - It was a mess of course, but I did see signs of improvement - I mean the defense looked okay at times and was fairly stout. I also though Fallon was pretty poised and made some good plays and decisions - certainly better than Brito. The team played 60 minutes, didn't quit and showed good discipline etc. Thats a sign of good coaching. It will be interesting to see if there is improvement week to week. So Im not as down on Coach Bell as you are.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:04 am

I am strangely optimistic that we show signs of improvement. I would be on the phone all day today trying to get game scheduled at Colorodo State for this Sat/Sun.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:51 am

photoman wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:40 pm
dennisdent wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:22 pm UMass is getting 100k for the game. So this time its only a $20k loss to the AD. So far this season it will COST UMass 80k to get its azz kicked on national TV. Would have been smarter not to play this fall like UConn and ODU have. I don't see any positives to losing money, games and dignity...Hopefully the money is coming out of Bell's and Bamford's deep pockets.
Dignity was already in the rearview mirror. As for the money and games I'm with you. They made the decision to not play and I feel they should've stuck with that decision.
Dignity went out the door at approximately the same time as Molnar's "Big-Boy football" presser.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:36 am

dennisdent wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:22 pm UMass is getting 100k for the game. So this time its only a $20k loss to the AD. So far this season it will COST UMass 80k to get its azz kicked on national TV. Would have been smarter not to play this fall like UConn and ODU have. I don't see any positives to losing money, games and dignity...Hopefully the money is coming out of Bell's and Bamford's deep pockets.
Don't understand this view, hence my comments when seeing post like this.
We all know the players need game day experience as well as the coaches, hence my comments.
Getting destroyed will not change anyone's view of us, since it's been really hard this decade going back to the decision to promote Morris to head coach. If anything we do get credit for playing. We are talking short money for valuable experience.
Go UMass!!

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:43 am

Have gain a lot of respect for Marshall's football and basketball program, along with their fans from this thread.
Will add a basketball quote since this is UMassHoops.
2 years ago we were in the NCAA tournament, and upset number four seed Wichita State.

Last year was supposed to be a rebuilding year, and we ended up in the top five of our league

We are anticipating a very good team this year.

So Marshall prides itself on both football and basketball.
https://csnbbs.com/thread-908949-page-2.html
Go UMass!!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:45 am

Steve81 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:43 am Have gain a lot of respect for Marshall's football and basketball program, along with their fans from this thread.
Will add a basketball quote since this is UMassHoops.
2 years ago we were in the NCAA tournament, and upset number four seed Wichita State.

Last year was supposed to be a rebuilding year, and we ended up in the top five of our league

We are anticipating a very good team this year.

So Marshall prides itself on both football and basketball.
https://csnbbs.com/thread-908949-page-2.html

Why are you always so focused on basketball? Who cares what the website name is, this is a football forum. Deep breath.....
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades