Game 1A: Georgia Southern

Get ready for some MACtion
dennisdent
Senior

Re: Game 1A: Georgia Southern

Post by dennisdent » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:23 am

I agree with every ones comments on the state of the football program!

What got me was how FAT the offensive/defensive lines looked. The O line could barely move and it hurts on pass blocking. They can't pull because they are so fat and slow. I was under the assumption that they put on muscle weight, not FAT weight over the summer.

Bell had a whole year to recruit a QB and the best he could do was Fallon and the tight end/QB from the roster!!!! The JC kid left in the spring and he still couldn't find any QBs as transfers.

I hate being so negative on the program and the players but just like CM this is not right! I have made my feelings known to the AD when they have reached out to me for money.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:29 am

bottom line wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:04 am I suggest you all read Frank Smith's football blog.
Frank is a nice guy (met him at a game) but he is clueless when it comes to football knowledge and wears his maroon covered glasses after every game.

HIs view of the game and the team overall in my opinion is a joke!

HIs take on the QBs: "All three QB's UMass played looked decent." F'ing clueless!

http://umass74.blogspot.com/

Kelz626
Junior

Post by Kelz626 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:03 am

bottom line wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:04 am I suggest you all read Frank Smith's football blog.
Frank is either clueless or Bamford paid him to write that recap. “minimal practice time”? Seriously?? The team has done nothing BUT PRACTICE since August and had 9 days of prep time for the game. “The QB’s looked decent” not a chance Fallon was slow making reads, has no arm strength or accuracy, every throw was behind his receivers or in spots where no one could catch it, Koch didn’t even attempt a pass and Johnson threw an INT because he didn’t move the LB with his eyes and then tried to throw over the top of the LB and didn’t get enough on it all pretty routine shit at the QB position. “The defense played good after the first quarter” they gave up 27 points after the first quarter...idk what game he watched but it definitely wasn’t UMass vs GA Southern

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:40 am

Glad to see the team playing yesterday and showing improvement as the game wore on. Tough assignment to have your season cancelled then travel to GSU on 10 days notice to play a more experienced team that has been practicing since early august and has 3 games under its belt. Looking forward to watching this team improve and hoping that the kids have additional opportunities to develop and gain valuable experience this season. Overall this was as expected and the 2d half performance showed improvement. I also liked the fact that we had good team discipline and that there was no quit. Lots of positives to take away from this and hopefully we get a few more gamed booked ASAP.
Last edited by Jack on Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

DeeDeeBee
Sophomore

Post by DeeDeeBee » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:41 am

Thanks Jack! Totally agree!
Some needed sanity in this forum in these bizarre times.
Last edited by DeeDeeBee on Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:42 am

Jack wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:40 am Glad to see the team playing yesterday and showing improvement as the game wore on. Tough assignment to have your season cancelled then travel to GSU on 10 days notice to play a more experienced team that has been practicing since early august and has 3 games under its belt. Looking forward to watching this team improve and holding that the kids have additional opportunities to develop and gain valuable experience this season. Overall this was as expected and the 2d half performance showed improvement. I also liked the fact that we had good team discipline and that there was no quit. Lots of positives to take away from this and hopefully we get a few more gamed booked ASAP.
Agree with you Jack. Knew this ADD bunch would attack and attack the program at the first mis-cue.

Was encouraged seeing the improvement of the defense. Like Frank said the offensive line could not create gaps for the running game, but seem to hold off their own. Fallon went from taking too much time and getting sack, to taking off and getting some positive yards. The other two did not play long enough, given just 1 live scrimmage since Nov of 2019.
Go UMass!!

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:04 pm

Random thoughts:

- Was this result a surprise to any posters on this board?

- The offense went run-heavy to start but didn’t have the O-Line work to support it. I don’t understand why UMass kept trying to run it. Maybe UMass was iffy about its passing game. Merriweather has potential, but he can’t do it all by himself.

- Why did the defensive backs leave GASO receivers so wide open? Is it play calling or execution? Are the players running the right routes or are the routes wrong to begin with?

- If this season is about developing the future, give the younger QBs the most reps.

- I’ve never seen a punter down his own punt until yesterday.

- The kicking game hasn’t changed much since the last few seasons. Bonus points for UMass icing their kicker by taking a timeout.

- I felt sick when I heard this game was moved to ESPN2. The last thing this team needed was more exposure and a larger potential audience. I wish it stayed on ESPNU or ESPN8 (the Ocho) to minimize the number of eyeballs watching what essentially is a 2021 preseason training camp. This just gave the “dump the program” crowd more ammo and more converts. I got a half-dozen texts from my non-alumni friends making fun of the program after the game.

- GASO paid UMass $60k to play this game, which only covers about half of their travel expenses. So UMass Athletics paid $60k to get slaughtered on national television in a glorified scrimmage. I wonder what the 57 furloughed athletic department employees think of that decision?

- I hope they are able to line up those games against Army and FAU. I’m curious to see how the defense responds to Army after playing a Georgia Southern team that runs a somewhat-similar offense. This team really needs the practice. Hopefully UMass doesn’t have to pay to play those games.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:26 pm

Really hope the OL learns how to open up gaps. This could really help with the running game and the passing game. Georgia Southern was viewed as a run happy team, but do think the defense adjusted during the game.
Go UMass!!

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:44 pm

This “program” is an f-ing joke, and a sick one at that. I am done donating for a helmet and watching on TV. No one was more pumped than I when the Herald said “moving on up”. It is painfully obvious the athletic department has no intention of winning. Everybody makes out except for the players and fans. I hate to say it but Max Page and those loony tune profs were right! It is a disgrace what happened yesterday and the last 9 years has been pure misery except for the second half of 2017. Of course Bamford got rid of Whip, whip knew what he doing.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:26 pm

For those fans on here saying, they expected this, I’m not sure what you mean. We lost 41-0 to Georgia Southern and it could have been 60-0 if they kept their foot on the gas. We’re Not talking about losing to Alabama guys, it’s Georgia freaking Southern! If we’re expecting 40-50 point losses against an average Sun belt program then we are in worse shape than I thought. Anybody that takes one ounce of positivity out of this game needs to turn the tint down on their maroon colored glasses. It appears Bell is completely clueless. We now have people opining for the whipple 2.0 years which if you were an objective Cfb observer were still very dreadful.

Kelz626
Junior

Post by Kelz626 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:38 pm

Steve81 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:42 am
Jack wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:40 am Glad to see the team playing yesterday and showing improvement as the game wore on. Tough assignment to have your season cancelled then travel to GSU on 10 days notice to play a more experienced team that has been practicing since early august and has 3 games under its belt. Looking forward to watching this team improve and holding that the kids have additional opportunities to develop and gain valuable experience this season. Overall this was as expected and the 2d half performance showed improvement. I also liked the fact that we had good team discipline and that there was no quit. Lots of positives to take away from this and hopefully we get a few more gamed booked ASAP.
Agree with you Jack. Knew this ADD bunch would attack and attack the program at the first mis-cue.

Was encouraged seeing the improvement of the defense. Like Frank said the offensive line could not create gaps for the running game, but seem to hold off their own. Fallon went from taking too much time and getting sack, to taking off and getting some positive yards. The other two did not play long enough, given just 1 live scrimmage since Nov of 2019.
This isn’t the ADD bunch attacking the first miscue, it’s a fed up fan base that’s pissed off at about the 100th miscue, the first being Ryan Bamford being hired as AD and the 2nd being Walt Bell being hired as HC. Much like the entirety of the Ryan Bamford Experience the Walt Bell Era has been nothing but talk and pats on the back for accomplishing nothing. Yippee we have a bunch of out of shape OL’s that are bigger than the Tennessee Titans but couldn’t block against a high school JV team....hooray Matt Shadeed made another screamy face on Instagram... OMG mushroom cloud tweet Walt and the Boys beat out Westfield State for a WR!

This game had nothing to do with GA Southern and everything to do with UMass and their lack of preparation, they had more time than you usually get to prepare for an opponent and, you would think, that while they’ve been practicing this whole time they were working on fundamentals yet the reason they got beat so bad is that they couldn’t do a single fundamental thing right. Missed tackles, not wrapping up, trying to make arm tackles, throwing balls behind receivers, having 12 men on the field coming out of a media timeout, starting a QB who couldn’t get a snap at Sacred Heart, returning kicks instead of calling for a fair catch, not having a clue in pass coverage, inability to block. This is all on Bell and his esteemed staff of grad assistants and assistant to the assistant position coaches that he brought in here to be coordinators and position coaches. But of course because Bamford tweets cute things at you you’re willing to say they need more time, they went from horrible in the first half to very bad in the second half...what an improvement!

The shit this staff has done in the first 2 years is inexcusable and will destroy the program in just the way Molnar did: chase out the upperclassmen you didn’t bring in, start a bunch of freshmen who haven’t earned a thing just because you brought them in, get your shit kicked in week after week, let the bad habits form and...win?

All this fan base wants is accountability and competence of which Bamford and Bell have none. They will act above it all to anyone who questions it and applaud all the fanboys who just want a retweet
Last edited by Kelz626 on Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:46 pm

^^^^
Well said.

@Steve81 Improved defense? Woah!! Pass me some of that sticky icky you’ve got because you must be inhaling the good stuff if you thought that was improved defense. Yowza!

Camby4Life
Senior

Post by Camby4Life » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:13 pm

Quann wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:46 pm ^^^^
Well said.

@Steve81 Improved defense? Woah!! Pass me some of that sticky icky you’ve got because you must be inhaling the good stuff if you thought that was improved defense. Yowza!
In Steve’s world, everyone who has no positive words to a 41-0 loss are the ones on drugs. The life of a Umass fan. Imagine looking for positives in a 41-0 loss?

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:14 pm

Quann wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:46 pm ^^^^
Well said.

From the first 25 minutes of the game to the last 35, saw improvements. Everything will be incremental. We all want to see improvement. Would love to see a night and day difference, but happy with the defense. Believe GaSo did a good job covering or receivers but the TV coverage was not focused there. Fallon did not force things and when he figured that the time was up ran for yards, verses earlier running around and getting sacked. The OL did a reasonable job with pass coverage and not so much in the running game.
Go UMass!!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:32 am

R&G wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:16 pm
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:37 am Scheduling note: The smoked pork butt has been changed to making sausages for tomorrow.
Great call. Grilled sausage > pork butt

They came out great... we couldn't do the smoking because of the weather Friday and overnight, so we ground it down and made the sausages instead. Pretty pleased with the results!
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades