The rise of the UMass football program...

Get ready for some MACtion
McKinney
Senior

Re: The rise of the UMass football program...

Post by McKinney » Wed May 06, 2020 12:34 pm

Unless we NEED a conference right now (which I trust the administration has a pulse on), I think we're best riding this out and hoping that there are larger forces at play that encourage conferences back towards regional/peer alignment.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Wed May 06, 2020 2:57 pm

McKinney wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:34 pm Unless we NEED a conference right now (which I trust the administration has a pulse on), I think we're best riding this out and hoping that there are larger forces at play that encourage conferences back towards regional/peer alignment.
Ultimately that would be the best case scenario for the NCAA in general and Umass specifically. It would not guarantee anything for them, but it might give them a puncher's chance. Umass still has two huge problems to overcome:

Their football facilities are one of the worst in FBS, and they still suck on the field.

I said it earlier in this thread and I will say it again, UMass needs to make a choice and that choice includes spending a big bag of cash (or not). There is nothing about them that is attractive to a legitimate conference. Even if the model implodes and conferences realign are you telling me that some iteration of the old Big East would want Umass in it? BTW none of those schools give a single rat's ass about Umass' educational ranking.

Adding to that there already is enough schools regionally to create a legit power conference that Umass was not a part of before anyways. Unless they go to 16 schools, Umass is on the outside looking in.

Umass doesn't want to "Spend it and they will come" but that is the only way they have a chance...............

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Thu May 07, 2020 7:52 am

The A10 is the only conference which is bus-able to nearly half the conference for Olympic sports.
The G5 conferences have one, AAC - Temple and the MAC and CUSA are a stretch to have one.

Know the AAC is the dream, but it will take money and on field performance leaps.
Not impossible but if it does not happen, OK with Independence, but would prefer UConn to team up with us.
That is the only way that we would get an affiliation with a conference as CUSA or the MAC.

Know most prefer the CUSA as they are different and southern, which is nice for away games in late fall.
Like the MAC as they are northerners like us and we have some history.

Think the administration is doing what it can and staying fiscally responsible, so no boat load of cash beyond our very nice donor base.
Go UMass!!