Dan Shaughnessy

Get ready for some MACtion
dennisdent
Senior

Re: Dan Shaughnessy

Post by dennisdent » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:18 pm

Temple's style of play is the one I hope UMass could follow: Defense first, giving low numbers to the top defensive players. Playing ball control, hard-nosed offense, with physical offensive lineman and receivers who can block. These are the type of players you can recruit in the Northeast. Add in some speed from the south and you have a system (not culture) that can last through multiple coaching changes. This sounds like UMass football under Don Brown...UMass will not succeed with the hurry-up spread offense and weak defense.

PintOGuinness
Junior

Post by PintOGuinness » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:58 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:59 am
PintOGuinness wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:46 am
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:29 am

Unfortunately, he's not.
He is to me. And has been for years.

I wish that was the case with the masses.
I do too. And maybe if more felt as I do, he wouldn’t have a platform
Word to your motha!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:59 pm

PintOGuinness wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:58 pm
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:59 am
PintOGuinness wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:46 am

He is to me. And has been for years.

I wish that was the case with the masses.
I do too. And maybe if more felt as I do, he wouldn’t have a platform

*we do
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:19 pm

Curly headed girlfriend is a tool, no doubt. But Marty Meehans comments were actually very supportive of football. Shaunessy was very snarky and he obviously has an agenda but I like Meehan as president and even though the football program is a joke, we will have it around for many years to come to give us aggravation. 8 years and we’ve been 1-11 3 times.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:16 pm

A little fun personal story, for me at least. We were at my brothers high school playoff hoops game against Newton North in I want to say 2009 or 2010 and Shaugnessy was there either covering it or maybe he knew someone with a kid on Newton. Either way I'm there with my dad and I notice him and I say "hmm wonder why Shank is here." Told my dad that is what the writer for Barstool call's him. My dad is an old school guy with no real ties to UMass so I think he likes Shaugnessy.

Anyway after the game he goes up to him and he's talking to him briefly. He concludes the conversation with "nice talking to ya Shank." Shaugnessy stared DAGGERS through my dads soul as he walked away and I'm just dying laughing. My dads like what's so funny. He had no idea it was a negative nickname and just called him shank right to his face. I loved every second of it.

PintOGuinness
Junior

Post by PintOGuinness » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:27 pm

I posted this a while back re: Mr. Irrelevant

https://www.umasshoops.com/newboard/vie ... haughnessy
Word to your motha!

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:49 pm

MJatUM wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:16 pm A little fun personal story, for me at least. We were at my brothers high school playoff hoops game against Newton North in I want to say 2009 or 2010 and Shaugnessy was there either covering it or maybe he knew someone with a kid on Newton. Either way I'm there with my dad and I notice him and I say "hmm wonder why Shank is here." Told my dad that is what the writer for Barstool call's him. My dad is an old school guy with no real ties to UMass so I think he likes Shaugnessy.

Anyway after the game he goes up to him and he's talking to him briefly. He concludes the conversation with "nice talking to ya Shank." Shaugnessy stared DAGGERS through my dads soul as he walked away and I'm just dying laughing. My dads like what's so funny. He had no idea it was a negative nickname and just called him shank right to his face. I loved every second of it.
Pretty sure his son was on the team.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:40 am

UMass football in a stock market perspective.. buy low and sell high. We are Amazon at $3.19 circa '98.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:22 pm

We've been acting more like a penny stock these last 8 years. Hopefully we're not the victim of a pump and dump.

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:14 pm

Shaughnessy doubles down! Predicts UMass will give up big-boy football in a few years.

https://www.nepr.net/post/shaughnessy-p ... -few-years

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:01 pm

He has has a hard on for UMass ever since Cal would not let him into his house for a preseason party Back in the 90's. He has never had a good ting to say about UMass since. Pay no attention to him.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:18 pm

^ Berkie - What you are claiming here is urban legend. There was an incident at Cal's house in Shutesbury, but it was a different Globe inkstained wretch, Joe Burris, that was denied entrance.

I have as strong a disregard for our Curly-Haired Boyfriend as anyone here, and it's disgusting that he appears regularly on a Boston radio station seated next to a UMass grad, but we need to keep our story straight.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:25 pm

That is the way I heard it.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:41 pm

^ Here is one of many reports online:

"Shaughnessy admitted his disdain for Cal dates back 20 years, when Cal refused to allow the Globe in his home on Selection Sunday. The Globe’s beat reporter, Joe Burris, had written a negative report on the Minutemen’s academic standing, and Cal decided he did not want Burris around. Shaughnessy still holds that grudge, two decades later."
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:47 pm

It would be nice if when he writes one of his "stories" about UMass, someone also posts that at the end, so people can see where he's really coming from. Same when the university responds to anything he reports on
Time to Win