FIRE WALT BELL!

Get ready for some MACtion
rayers
Senior

Re: FIRE WALT BELL!

Post by rayers » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:49 am

Still rooting for Coach Bell to be a guy we can all support and believe in. I do understand that the offense has a limited portfolio but I would chalk that up to having young players and I wouldn’t expect it to be the case next year. I really don’t understand why the D isn’t better and more consistent. It seems rebuilding the D is usually an easier task to accomplish. Bell strikes me as a guy who really cares about the players as people and he walks the walk. Recruitment and creativity and learning how to construct wins are the variables and so far he hasn’t met most fans’ expectations. It’s all about next year and if the program hasn’t turned the corner it will be hard to be supportive. Speaking of creativity, I really don’t understand why Wise doesn’t have the ball in his hands more and totally confused why we don’t run more option with Wise especially!?!

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:49 pm

I agree re: Wise, gives us another threat running the ball. Kid looks super athletic, like to see him make more throws to keep the D honest. We have 2 good young QBs with different skills to build off of.

I know its been said before, but damn, Merriweather is one tough back. Kid runs hard
Time to Win

Sheck
Hall of Fame

Post by Sheck » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:19 pm

stevemaz wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:20 am Bell will survive. They will beat RI and they will beat Maine and come close at NMS (maybe win that one if they get breaks). Next year the team will be better and will not start out 1-7, in fact i presume a game at UConn will be added for Oct 22 so they do not play any power houses (Liberty could be best team) in their first 10 games.
I hope you're right but URI is 5-0 right now. They are a legit good FCS team.
#maction 🚩#flagship

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:24 am

rayers wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:49 am Still rooting for Coach Bell to be a guy we can all support and believe in. I do understand that the offense has a limited portfolio but I would chalk that up to having young players and I wouldn’t expect it to be the case next year. I really don’t understand why the D isn’t better and more consistent. It seems rebuilding the D is usually an easier task to accomplish. Bell strikes me as a guy who really cares about the players as people and he walks the walk. Recruitment and creativity and learning how to construct wins are the variables and so far he hasn’t met most fans’ expectations. It’s all about next year and if the program hasn’t turned the corner it will be hard to be supportive. Speaking of creativity, I really don’t understand why Wise doesn’t have the ball in his hands more and totally confused why we don’t run more option with Wise especially!?!
I am sorry but I do not agree with your statements of "It's all about next year" Walt and his friends have shown me nothing that he deserved another year. Yes, they beat UConn and a win is a win is a win. HOWEVER, the number of career victories Walt has against teams with 1 win in the season? 0. The number of losses under 13 points? 0. The number of times this board has been happy with moral victories (Jack can answer that one)....

Here is the thing, if you keep Bell after this year his contract will need to be extended. With is contract only being two more years, opposing coaches will ask the players, are sure you want to go play for a coach that does not have any security? So ask yourself this Ray, are you okay being in this position again next year? If the answer is yes, cool. My answer is no

FIRE WALT NOW
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:46 am

The pregame chatter on this subject was through the roof.... the rumor mill is all over the place.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:35 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:46 am The pregame chatter on this subject was through the roof.... the rumor mill is all over the place.
tell us more...

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

rayers
Senior

Post by rayers » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:56 am

I hear you Preacher. I am sure I’m as bummed and disappointed as any of us fans/alums/donors are at this point. I just believe Coach deserves more time to build the team and I really don’t count last year. They could also extend his contract with contingencies that would let him be terminated if certain goals were not met next year.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:07 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:35 am
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:46 am The pregame chatter on this subject was through the roof.... the rumor mill is all over the place.
tell us more...

This past Saturday was a very important game to win for someone.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:15 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:07 pm
tell us more...

so what was your record at beer pong?!

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:22 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:15 pm

tell us more...

so what was your record at beer pong?!

I didn't play :cry:

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:16 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:24 am
rayers wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:49 am Still rooting for Coach Bell to be a guy we can all support and believe in. I do understand that the offense has a limited portfolio but I would chalk that up to having young players and I wouldn’t expect it to be the case next year. I really don’t understand why the D isn’t better and more consistent. It seems rebuilding the D is usually an easier task to accomplish. Bell strikes me as a guy who really cares about the players as people and he walks the walk. Recruitment and creativity and learning how to construct wins are the variables and so far he hasn’t met most fans’ expectations. It’s all about next year and if the program hasn’t turned the corner it will be hard to be supportive. Speaking of creativity, I really don’t understand why Wise doesn’t have the ball in his hands more and totally confused why we don’t run more option with Wise especially!?!
I am sorry but I do not agree with your statements of "It's all about next year" Walt and his friends have shown me nothing that he deserved another year. Yes, they beat UConn and a win is a win is a win. HOWEVER, the number of career victories Walt has against teams with 1 win in the season? 0. The number of losses under 13 points? 0. The number of times this board has been happy with moral victories (Jack can answer that one)....

Here is the thing, if you keep Bell after this year his contract will need to be extended. With is contract only being two more years, opposing coaches will ask the players, are sure you want to go play for a coach that does not have any security? So ask yourself this Ray, are you okay being in this position again next year? If the answer is yes, cool. My answer is no

FIRE WALT NOW
I was all about getting rid of Bell UNTIL the UConn win and the scene in the locker room. The kids obviously love him and if he can pull out a couple more wins, then I would give him a contract extension. The win Saturday cemented him coming back next year and who are are going to get??? We ran off Mark Whipple. I know the mantra is that there are tons of coaches out there, but let's see the next 6 games.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:31 pm

tell us more...

But does it save him if he loses to URI on homecoming. Maine is pretty bad so I'm not worried about them. URI on the other hand is undefeated and ranked with a fair amount of FBS and P5 transfers. I think that's why they've had a quick turnaround.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:50 pm

TheInsider wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:31 pm

tell us more...

But does it save him if he loses to URI on homecoming. Maine is pretty bad so I'm not worried about them. URI on the other hand is undefeated and ranked with a fair amount of FBS and P5 transfers. I think that's why they've had a quick turnaround.

Not sure, to be honest... I think there has to be visible progress and general competitiveness in each game going forward. If you have that, and say lose a squeaker to URI, he might still be back.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:36 am

I think RI hangs in there but UM pulls away in 4th as they will run the ball down their throat. Sure, if they lose, then there should be discussions on whether Bell is back (unless he beats NMS). Bell basically started from scratch with virtually nothing in the cupboard so he deserves 3 full years (in no way can anyone count last year). Think positive guys.. look at San Jose St last year and UTEP this year.. that could be us in 22 or 23.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:36 am

stevemaz wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:36 am Bell basically started from scratch with virtually nothing in the cupboard so he deserves 3 full years (in no way can anyone count last year).
Took a look at the starters from Bell's first game as the UMass coach against Rutgers and this statement is blatantly false. Bell had two future NFL draft picks in Rodgers and Coleman, veterans on the offensive line (RTI/Coleman/Yardi), experienced RB in Ally, good receivers in Palmer/Simon/Johnson and a TE that went on to play at Arizona State, Kyle Horn. Michael Curtis was going to be the next UMass QB but for some reason Bell didn't want to play him.

What the problem was that Bell went to the hurry-up offense that screwed the defense and wanted to play his QB recruit in Brito (not an FBS/FCS level QB, which falls on Bell). Bell's coaching staff was horrible and at least he is trying to fix it with Miller and Reid now.

And yes, last year counts!!! Stop trying to re-write history!