FIRE WALT BELL!

Get ready for some MACtion
dennisdent
Senior

Re: FIRE WALT BELL!

Post by dennisdent » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:46 am

What kind of world is it that we live in that almost 700k a year is considered a "sad state of affairs" when it is more then 95% of college football coaches make! All those FCS head coaches and below eating bologna sandwiches would love the chance to make UMass money(I kid). The EMU coach most have been pissed off knowing that Bell is making more money then him after he out coached UMass...

It is more then enough of a salary and benefits (country club membership included) to find a coach that can run a competitive program at UMass!

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:08 am

Paying more money for possible potential just seems crazy. If you're going to throw more money at it, get a proven winner and spread it around to the staff.

Have to believe theres football coaches out there at whatever level, who are proven program builders who aren't motivated by money. Living in the northeast making 600k+ with percs isn't a bad life. If you're gonna throw more money at it, spread it around to improve your staff & recruiting.
Time to Win

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:19 am

There is more at play with the agents than the salary. Just look at what ex-coaches from UMass FB are doing, which is everyone has not lateraled, they are in lower responsibility positional assistant jobs, except one could argue Don Brown, but they are 0-5 and also in the bottom 10.

And, if you look at the UMASS payroll, the $$ paid to assistants is low, and that matters as well - look at all the turnover.

What I do agree with is UMass recruiting a successful FCS coach. Track records matter.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:28 am

Sorry, my point isn't that $625k is on the breadlines. To UMass' credit, they did step it up a bit in the offer 3 years ago. You know it wasn't long ago that UMass had the cheapest FBS coach and staff in the country. They increased HC pay by $175k and AC pay by $300k.

It's that we have a $50M budget and yet surveyed coaches, agents, and administrators point out that our resources are lacking.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:42 am

^Understand what you are saying. It is the assistant coach salaries that need to be raised overall. I think the D coach makes over 250k, which is on par with FCS head coaches but the positional coaches are underpaid. UMass will always be a stepping stone to a bigger job for the assistants so we will either get the really young or the old assistant coaches.

Camby4Life
Senior

Post by Camby4Life » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:34 am

These numbers are high if you base it on results. Imagine making 250k to coach a defense that gives up 42ppg.

I agree with Quann, bring in Gruden

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:55 am

McKinney wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:28 am Sorry, my point isn't that $625k is on the breadlines. To UMass' credit, they did step it up a bit in the offer 3 years ago. You know it wasn't long ago that UMass had the cheapest FBS coach and staff in the country. They increased HC pay by $175k and AC pay by $300k.

It's that we have a $50M budget and yet surveyed coaches, agents, and administrators point out that our resources are lacking.
Unlike most FBS schools - we have D1 hockey. That's a big part of the budget right there. We also sponsor a large number of sports compared to the national average.

If we kept the budget the same size and dropped like 4 sports, we'd have a comparable football budget to other places.

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:29 pm

I don't get this thread. Bell inherited a very small roster of scholarship players, Covid hit etc. He needs 4 real years to prove if he is the guy.

For those that think there are a ton of coaches itching to come to Amherst, read this article. One agent tells his clients NOT to go here- "One agent told The Athletic that it was the only job he ever advised a client to turn down."

https://nesn.com/2021/10/why-umass-and- ... -football/

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:50 pm

^ If you actually read this thread instead of posting incorrectly, maybe it would make just a little sense to you...but I doubt it.

Wow, one agent said--who gives a FXCK what one, or any agent says. If you actually knew anything about football, NFL players are starting to go away from agents.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/29/spor ... tract.html

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:09 am

KahunaK wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:29 pm I don't get this thread. Bell inherited a very small roster of scholarship players, Covid hit etc. He needs 4 real years to prove if he is the guy.

For those that think there are a ton of coaches itching to come to Amherst, read this article. One agent tells his clients NOT to go here- "One agent told The Athletic that it was the only job he ever advised a client to turn down."

https://nesn.com/2021/10/why-umass-and- ... -football/
This is correct and it is only part of the reason why this has always been a completely moronic thread. only a completely ignorant jackass such as dd would endorse this idiocy.

Camby4Life
Senior

Post by Camby4Life » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:01 pm

Forget Gruden, let’s go get Coach O, guys the best and a national champ.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:15 pm

Camby4Life wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:01 pm Forget Gruden, let’s go get Coach O, guys the best and a national champ.
Why not both? NFL and college champion! They'll fit in well in Amherst!

PintOGuinness
Junior

Post by PintOGuinness » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:36 am

Spencer Whipple getting some good press today:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... cid=fmiatw
Word to your motha!

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:17 am

^That's great! Some agent said that you shouldn't take a job at UMass, but it doesn't seemed to affected the Whip's, Coen, Brown, and Smith careers and others,..

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:16 am

dennisdent wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:50 pm ^ If you actually read this thread instead of posting incorrectly, maybe it would make just a little sense to you...but I doubt it.

Wow, one agent said--who gives a FXCK what one, or any agent says. If you actually knew anything about football, NFL players are starting to go away from agents.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/29/spor ... tract.html
Throttle back a bit, please. You can make an effective counterpoint without getting nasty.