FIRE WALT BELL!

Get ready for some MACtion
DeeDeeBee
Sophomore

Re: FIRE WALT BELL!

Post by DeeDeeBee » Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:39 pm

I was willing to stand behind Bell...I've been loyal to a fault..obviously!

FIRE HIS ASS..NOW!! I don't care what it takes..get him and most of his staff the hell outa here!
Mistakes, horrible play calling, bad coaching.
The kids are better than the URI kids FFS!!
Absolutely embarrassing!! Football has always been my favorite sport....Umass Football? I'm out until they make a coaching change!

jpatsfan
Junior

Post by jpatsfan » Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:39 pm

DeeDeeBee wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:39 pm I was willing to stand behind Bell...I've been loyal to a fault..obviously!

FIRE HIS ASS..NOW!! I don't care what it takes..get him and most of his staff the hell outa here!
Mistakes, horrible play calling, bad coaching.
The kids are better than the URI kids FFS!!
Absolutely embarrassing!! Football has always been my favorite sport....Umass Football? I'm out until they make a coaching change!
I'm hoping he is gone by tomorrow and then they put Jim Reid in for the interim.

Berko
Freshman

Post by Berko » Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:50 pm

No idea where they go from here, looks utterly hopeless but Bell must go. This can't contiue, at this point I'd rather drop football then carry on like this. Used to love fall afternoons at Mcguirk now it's going to be WENU,AIC, SC. You know, actual competitive games.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:57 pm

The only competitive game so far turns out to be UConn, and they were in a state having fired Buddy and had several coaches and players with COVID positive results.

As players who can, do go to the portal, we can only bring in 25 scholly players, and that is a real death spiral in motion. And who wants this job with no conference? This job is a career derailer.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:34 pm

Akron fired their coach and he even beat an FCS team from Rhode Island this season!

km109
Senior

Post by km109 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:44 pm

If there's any good news, it's that the NCAA approved a one year change for 2022 class that will allow a team up to 7 additional scholarships to offset players who transfer out.

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:15 pm

I very much disagree with people who say ‘who would take this job.’
Many head coaches at an FCS school would jump at the chance to get a 5 year $600,000 plus contract when they are stuck making $250,000 or so.

photoman
Senior

Post by photoman » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:23 pm

^Unfortunately there's a huge difference between "taking the job" and being able to salvage this sinking ship.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:52 pm

even the great one is on board.. fire his ass monday..

Merlin Samuels
Junior

Post by Merlin Samuels » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:54 pm

I hope we can get a veteran coach at this point. I really supported Bell, despite disagreeing with Whip being let go.

If it were up to me, I’d reach out to Don Brown and put all my trust in him, giving him all the resources he needs. Then let him appoint a successor whenever he retires.

Even a veteran Ivy League coach would be interesting. Or Chesney at Cross if I’m looking for a younger guy.

Camby4Life
Senior

Post by Camby4Life » Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:00 am

stevemaz wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:52 pm even the great one is on board.. fire his ass monday..
That’s it, the final dagger. If stevemaz is out, that’s everyone. I’m not counting Jack cause he’s either a relative to Walt or a massive, unfunny troll. How can anyone defend this guy? I feel bad that the players like him but he has to go.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:38 am

The only thing in question is whether they can him today or whenever his third year of contract is officially over.

Bamford MUST hire a successful Defensive guy as head coach and pony up the bucks to get someone deserving and let him pay his OC/DC.

No idea who Iowa's DC is, but they seem to play tough D... how about him..

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:08 am

I'd be surprised if anything happened. Wouldnt shock me if they gave him next year as well
Time to Win

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:26 am

Sadly, I don't think UMass has the money to fire him (hope I'm wrong). Look they are begging for 25k with the latest fund raising effort, which is far from the almost 1+ mil it will take to buy out his contract and the staff.

jpatsfan
Junior

Post by jpatsfan » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:39 am

It's Sunday morning and Bell is still employed at UMass. I have a bigger question to ask besides who should coach next....what the hell does the admin want to be? Our overall athletic budget is close to App State and Coastal Carolina. They have been to bowls and we have been perpetually bad for 10 years now.

We spent money on a new performance center, press box and athletic bubble. Yet the money we spend on coaching is at best bottom half of the MAC. So while firing Bell would help this fanbase emotionally, what the hell does UMass want to be? Do we want to be a serious FBS program or just be a 2 buck chuck knock off? What conference is going to take us seriously when our administration does not take this serious.

We have reached a point where posting on this board is not enough. We need to send emails to the Chancellor and President of UMass. We need to write op ed in the Gazette, Republican or wherever people will listen. We even need to take the local media to task, what the hell are the newspapers and stations doing. None of them have thought to even ask what the hell is going on. Bamford was extended as an AD and that magically dropped over 6 months later on Twitter as a leak. No one in the media thought to ask what's going on a state university funded by taxpayer dollars.

So yes Bell should go but the bigger question is, where are we going next and what do we want to be!