FIRE WALT BELL!

Get ready for some MACtion
dennisdent
Senior

Re: FIRE WALT BELL!

Post by dennisdent » Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:22 pm

I shed ZERO tears for Walt Bell! He will be leaving the program much worse off! Horrible hire that will go down as the most incompetent football coach in the modern era of UMass football!

This will my last post on this topic, on to the new hire!!!!

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:35 pm

Hopefully now we just might get or solicit an offer to join the MAC. Don't like the idea of all sports moving there but we do need to get into a conference.

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:40 pm

Umass_Minuteman wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:31 am two words. Don Brown
Same Don Brown that was fired from Michigan last year and landed at Arizona and who won their first game yesterday? That Don Brown? I hope their are better options!!

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:43 pm

we all knew once good ole Steve Maz joined the Fire Walt train, it would happen..

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:08 pm

I agree that Wal Bell is a nice guy and never happy to see a guy lose his job, but he was a terrible coach.

Firing Bell now was the best thing Bamford has done (of course he hired him in the first place), aside from hiring Carvel. Hopefully by doing it now, we can get a good search underway and get a coach in place so we have a chance to sign a few recruits.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:11 pm

Rolling Ridge wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:12 pm Just got the news. I 100% agree with this decision, but I'm really sorry it had to come to this. I think Walt Bell is a good guy and genuinely wanted to do the right things, he just wasn't prepared for this job. In so many ways, I hold the people making the hiring decision responsible. Walt was what he was. We needed to hire better. Hopefully the lesson has been learned.

I also totally agree that there has to be a process/committee for this next hire. We can't afford another mistake. In many ways, it may be too late, but there was really only one thing they could do RIGHT NOW to make me feel better about the direction of the program... and they did it. So I'm going to be supportive and wait and see.

I stand by my sense that Bell did some good things for the program. Yes, they were all off-the-field, but academics at UMass are critical, so I don't discount the measurable improvements there. I wish Coach Bell all the best for the future.
Very well said. I think he just wasn't ready for this challenge, but I think his intentions for the kids in the program was genuine which is why they liked him
Time to Win

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:02 pm

Floyd wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:11 pm
Rolling Ridge wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:12 pm Just got the news. I 100% agree with this decision, but I'm really sorry it had to come to this. I think Walt Bell is a good guy and genuinely wanted to do the right things, he just wasn't prepared for this job. In so many ways, I hold the people making the hiring decision responsible. Walt was what he was. We needed to hire better. Hopefully the lesson has been learned.

I also totally agree that there has to be a process/committee for this next hire. We can't afford another mistake. In many ways, it may be too late, but there was really only one thing they could do RIGHT NOW to make me feel better about the direction of the program... and they did it. So I'm going to be supportive and wait and see.

I stand by my sense that Bell did some good things for the program. Yes, they were all off-the-field, but academics at UMass are critical, so I don't discount the measurable improvements there. I wish Coach Bell all the best for the future.
Very well said. I think he just wasn't ready for this challenge, but I think his intentions for the kids in the program was genuine which is why they liked him
The kids really like him. It is sad that it didn’t work out. The decision had to be made today.

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:56 pm

Bell seemed like a nice guy with the best of intentions. That said, am happier regarding UM football now than I have been in years.
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

Camby4Life
Senior

Post by Camby4Life » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:42 pm

I’m still in shock they the athletic department pulled this off. As much as I wanted him fired, I was starting to buy into the naysayers saying umass couldn’t afford it. The move had to be done. This should give umass fans hope.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:45 pm

Camby4Life wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:42 pm I’m still in shock they the athletic department pulled this off. As much as I wanted him fired, I was starting to buy into the naysayers saying umass couldn’t afford it. The move had to be done. This should give umass fans hope.
With you. It had to be done after that poop show yesterday though. I was pretty vocal in the stands-not profane, and not out of line-for most of the game. I called for Restivo and Bell to resign a few times.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:11 pm

Just maybe some alums put up money to buy him out.

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:26 pm

^ Bingo!

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:41 pm

Berkman wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:35 pm Hopefully now we just might get or solicit an offer to join the MAC. Don't like the idea of all sports moving there but we do need to get into a conference.
If UMass isn’t trying to join the MAC however possible-football only or all sports-this move will be wasted. We’ll be in the same situation two to three years from now calling for the next guy to be fired after multiple seasons of 1 win or less.
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

Leave the A-10!

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:53 pm

There certainly is an element of "Groundhog Day" in this whole spinning wheel to nowhere.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:56 pm

TruBluMaroon wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:40 pm
Umass_Minuteman wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:31 am two words. Don Brown
Same Don Brown that was fired from Michigan last year and landed at Arizona and who won their first game yesterday? That Don Brown? I hope there are better options!!