FIRE WALT BELL!

Get ready for some MACtion
ZooMass84
Senior

Re: FIRE WALT BELL!

Post by ZooMass84 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:27 pm

I don't know if it would make any sense to get rid of Bell now and replace him with Les Miles,even if we had a ton of $$$$ to do it.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:15 pm

ZooMass84 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:27 pm I don't know if it would make any sense to get rid of Bell now and replace him with Les Miles,even if we had a ton of $$$$ to do it.

Haha, he didn't even survive at KU when that news broke... how do you think that would go over in MA and Amherst specifically? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

kdogg8173
Senior

Post by kdogg8173 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:20 am

Also one of, if not, the most overrated coach of the last 20 years. Mediocre before LSU and terrible after.

philosopher
Hall of Fame

Post by philosopher » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:07 pm

Nothing to offer other than to thank everyone: it has been an entire week.since anyone posted on this thread. :lol:

Camby4Life
Senior

Post by Camby4Life » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:16 am

philosopher wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:07 pm Nothing to offer other than to thank everyone: it has been an entire week.since anyone posted on this thread. :lol:
Thank you for bumping this thread back to the top. It’s just perfect, including the all caps title. It will remain here until Bell can win another game.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:45 am

Camby4Life wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:16 am
philosopher wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:07 pm Nothing to offer other than to thank everyone: it has been an entire week.since anyone posted on this thread. :lol:
Thank you for bumping this thread back to the top. It’s just perfect, including the all caps title. It will remain here until Bell can win another game.
So glad you guys take the time to piss over the football program. Even with your great posts and advise have not helped the basketball program do more than a one and done this century. Perhaps you should band together and start a consulting firm based on your sage advise and knowledge how it has propelled basketball and other sports to the promise land.
Go UMass!!

Camby4Life
Senior

Post by Camby4Life » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:59 am

Steve81 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:45 am
Camby4Life wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:16 am
So glad you guys take the time to piss over the football program. Even with your great posts and advise have not helped the basketball program do more than a one and done this century. Perhaps you should band together and start a consulting firm based on your sage advise and knowledge how it has propelled basketball and other sports to the promise land.
Steve, thanks for doing your part and keeping this thread at the top. Much appreciated.

DanaDingle3
Junior

Post by DanaDingle3 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:40 pm

No idea if Walt Bell should be fired, but if he is, should UMass fold football and invest more in basketball?

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:35 pm

DanaDingle3 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:40 pm No idea if Walt Bell should be fired, but if he is, should UMass fold football and invest more in basketball?
Yup, new Champion Center, improvements to the Mullins. HC salary could be a million with all incentives are hit. We are in a very good conference. With many different AD and head coaches, don't have an answer. My feeling is basketball goal is to be regularly in the top 4-5 in the A10 consistently. It's an achievable goal. Perhaps we yank coaches too quickly and developing a bad reputation, idk, just a thought. Felt Bruiser should never have been fired and many felt DK should have had a chance with all the young recruits.
Go UMass!!

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:01 pm

DanaDingle3 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:40 pm No idea if Walt Bell should be fired, but if he is, should UMass fold football and invest more in basketball?
Of basketball and football, UMass is better positioned to compete in basketball. But I'm not really sure it's a lack of investment. The facilities, student support, and compensation are pretty competitive for the A10. This is from 2018, but A10 coaches gave UMass credit for the investment side: #4 in budget/resources and #6 for facilities. I would think that level should be enough to consistently be competitive, but it just hasn't panned out.

https://watchstadium.com/atlantic-10-ba ... 0-17-2018/

FWIW I think if football folds those funds dry up. There might even be cuts to continue paying on the football facilities (no longer with tenants).
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:35 pm

McKinney wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:01 pm
Of basketball and football, UMass is better positioned to compete in basketball. But I'm not really sure it's a lack of investment. The facilities, student support, and compensation are pretty competitive for the A10. This is from 2018, but A10 coaches gave UMass credit for the investment side: #4 in budget/resources and #6 for facilities. I would think that level should be enough to consistently be competitive, but it just hasn't panned out.

FWIW I think if football folds those funds dry up. There might even be cuts to continue paying on the football facilities (no longer with tenants).
Basketball is in a good conference and football is in no conference. There are more head wins, but people like the fan experience more with football. Basketball needs to get to at least averaging 4,500 this coming season. the size of the smallest A10 arenas out side Fordham and LaSalle. Most are in the 6-8k area with some larger and smaller. Think it's a good goal.

Boston College opening up the home slate and three New England teams playing, I'd say it will be a stark contrast to compare fan attendance from basketball to football in 2021-2022. Hoping for good weather game days, cold and rain do dampen attendance with all games on NESN.

That link is subjective and out of date as the Dukes have a brand new arena and had them rated second to the bottom.
Go UMass!!

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:46 pm

Steve81 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:35 pm

Basketball is in a good conference and football is in no conference. There are more head wins, but people like the fan experience more with football. Basketball needs to get to at least averaging 4,500 this coming season. the size of the smallest A10 arenas out side Fordham and LaSalle. Most are in the 6-8k area with some larger and smaller. Think it's a good goal.

Boston College opening up the home slate and three New England teams playing, I'd say it will be a stark contrast to compare fan attendance from basketball to football in 2021-2022. Hoping for good weather game days, cold and rain do dampen attendance with all games on NESN.

That link is subjective and out of date as the Dukes have a brand new arena and had them rated second to the bottom.
Guys, football is going anywhere. No one is going to kill the Golden Goose. Bottom line: Bell is a new inexperienced HC but at least he's trying. It's great that Carvel goes to NCAA tourneys in his first 5 years but Bell is trying to pull a rabbit out his hat with huge staff turnover etc. The no conference thing isn't affecting Liberty (but that team could be all ringers). we're going to have at least 75 on scholarship come September.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:52 pm

I called Bell Molnar 2.0 and Gomer after the SIU loss and his play calling sucks (BYU game) but I'm willing to give him another chance at redemption. of the 75 on schollys, there are a ton of 3* star guys. Losing Sammy Solomon sucks because although he didn't play in his freshman year, he was rated 86. He had offers from many P5 schools. The FAU game last season showed me something defense wise. Merriweather had some good runs too.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:06 pm

Football does not fold. As much as the last 2 seasons (and really the last 9 years) have been painful, absolutely NO ONE is going to kill football. The only pissing and moaning and bitching is Dan Shaunessy who is jealous. We're not Idaho and Mass. is the 4th richest state in the US. No worries.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:07 pm

ZooMass84 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:46 pm
Steve81 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:35 pm

Guys, football isn't going anywhere. No one is going to kill the Golden Goose. Bottom line: Bell is a new inexperienced HC but at least he's trying. It's great that Carvel goes to NCAA tourneys in his first 5 years but Bell is trying to pull a rabbit out his hat with huge staff turnover etc. The no conference thing isn't affecting Liberty (but that team could be all ringers). we're going to have at least 75 on scholarship come September.