FIRE WALT BELL!

Get ready for some MACtion
Upstate10
Senior

Re: FIRE WALT BELL!

Post by Upstate10 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:24 pm

^
Hell yeah, Jack! I’m cautiously optimistic.

daveyboy
Freshman

Post by daveyboy » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:28 pm

Jim Reid is a great add to the staff. Richmond, VMI, Iowa, Virginia,and BC. Well traveled a true Massachusetts coaching legend from Medford. High caliber, Great person.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:02 pm

Walt Bell had no idea who Jim Reid was before coming to UMass. This hire and Miller's are the work of the football supporters/Bamford to save the program before it goes even farther down the toilet. Reminds me of the basketball program with DK and Vance Walberg or McCall and Paul Cormier...Bring on a senior former head coach to assist the young and inexperienced head coach. I hope it works this time...

Coach Reid is so old that he was the speaker at my youth football banquet many years ago--and he was VERY inspirational to us 10 - 12 year old's! :lol:

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:34 pm

dennis next post is number 1000, make it a good one!!!
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:57 pm

dennisdent wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:02 pm Walt Bell had no idea who Jim Reid was before coming to UMass. ...

Coach Reid is so old ...
He's 70...
You just insulted a lot of posters here...
:shock:
The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!

daveyboy
Freshman

Post by daveyboy » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:53 pm

I always loved Coach Reid . Teams well prepared. Had some epic tilts with HC when HC was a very tough program in late 80s early nineties. Walked away from program when they tried to screw some of the recruits out of their scholarships.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:10 pm

SignMan wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:57 pm
dennisdent wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:02 pm Walt Bell had no idea who Jim Reid was before coming to UMass. ...

Coach Reid is so old ...
He's 70...
Post number 1000 only took 18 years! Hey Preacher you'll be there soon!

Being old is not an insult, many people never get there! Just lost my best friend to colon cancer and he knew his first grandchild for a month before passing. He would have loved to be called "old" by me and giving him crap about being a grandfather.

Coach Reid story: When I was a student at UMass, I was in Whitmore one day and I heard Reid talking someone in their office about accepting one of his recruits. I couldn't help not to hear how passionate he was about the recruit and when he found out that they would accept him, he let out a yell and zoomed past me with a big smile on his face. I've always wondered who that recruit was and if he made a difference with the football program.

Upstate10
Senior

Post by Upstate10 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:38 pm

dennisdent wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:10 pm
SignMan wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:57 pm

Coach Reid is so old ...
He's 70...
Post number 1000 only took 18 years! Hey Preacher you'll be there soon!

Being old is not an insult, many people never get there! Just lost my best friend to colon cancer and he knew his first grandchild for a month before passing. He would have loved to be called "old" by me and giving him crap about being a grandfather.

Coach Reid story: When I was a student at UMass, I was in Whitmore one day and I heard Reid talking someone in their office about accepting one of his recruits. I couldn't help not to hear how passionate he was about the recruit and when he found out that they would accept him, he let out a yell and zoomed past me with a big smile on his face. I've always wondered who that recruit was and if he made a difference with the football program.
Sorry for your loss, Dennis.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:44 pm

^ Thanks

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:07 pm

Jack wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:32 am Bell isn't being replaced... he's too busy actually improving this football program by recruiting and developing good football players. Coach Reid is another example of Coach Bell making another great addition to the program. GO UMASS !!!!!
I like all P5 Portal guys Bell got, and I think he's really trying; but we'll know by the EMU game if he's made any progress.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:29 am

dennisdent wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:02 pm Walt Bell had no idea who Jim Reid was before coming to UMass. This hire and Miller's are the work of the football supporters/Bamford to save the program before it goes even farther down the toilet. Reminds me of the basketball program with DK and Vance Walberg or McCall and Paul Cormier...Bring on a senior former head coach to assist the young and inexperienced head coach. I hope it works this time...

Coach Reid is so old that he was the speaker at my youth football banquet many years ago--and he was VERY inspirational to us 10 - 12 year old's! :lol:
Cal had Jack Leaman, which Cal mentions and appreciated.
Go UMass!!

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:41 am

Steve81 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:29 am
dennisdent wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:02 pm Walt Bell had no idea who Jim Reid was before coming to UMass. This hire and Miller's are the work of the football supporters/Bamford to save the program before it goes even farther down the toilet. Reminds me of the basketball program with DK and Vance Walberg or McCall and Paul Cormier...Bring on a senior former head coach to assist the young and inexperienced head coach. I hope it works this time...

Cal had Jack Leaman, which Cal mentions and appreciated.
Jack was never an assistant/advisor under Cal. Totally different situations. He was an "unofficial mentor," not hired like the others mentioned here.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/01/07/ ... all-again/

My wife was at Dulles airport the night Jack passed away. She had told me that a person had a heart attack from a flight from Richmond and I found out later that it was Jack Leaman.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:45 am

Kevin J. Stone @kstone06 · 57m

UMass football fans don’t forget tomorrow night’s the big night...Coach Bell will join us at 8 on the New England Football Show, get your questions in! [email protected]/[email protected]
@UMassFootball @newftbj
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

Camby4Life
Senior

Post by Camby4Life » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:10 am

Time to bump this one back to the top for the season opener. ESPN had an article on coaches on the hot seat by conference and listed Bell as someone to keep an eye on.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:58 pm

Camby4Life wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:10 am Time to bump this one back to the top for the season opener. ESPN had an article on coaches on the hot seat by conference and listed Bell as someone to keep an eye on.
If it's 63-0 and we look like we did for the last 2 years this thread will blow up, and rightly so.