The flagship...

Get ready for some MACtion
Rolling Ridge
Junior

Re: The flagship...

Post by Rolling Ridge » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:04 pm

harbo wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:46 pm Maryland has about a dozen schools in its university system. Some, like UM Baltimore County and UM Eastern Shore use the University of Maryland qualifier. Others like Frostburg State and Coppin State use the "State" qualifier. Still, others like Towson and Salisbury leave out the "State" part. While the University of Maryland, College Park is the official name, if someone tells me we have a game at Maryland, my assumption is that we are playing the flagship campus. That is what I expect when someone tells me they are going to a game at UMass. Or if I see a basketball score of UMass 72, Maryland 67, there should be no need to ask which UMass or which Maryland was playing.
Is there any such ambiguity?

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:36 pm

None. Neither is there a need for -Amherst or --College Park.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:31 pm

this thread should not be in football, but the general, forum.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:26 am

econalum wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:31 pm this thread should not be in football, but the general, forum.

This thread started as a football thread. It's moved away from that a bit, but you're welcome to bring it back to football with your version of "The Flagship is...." related to football.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:52 am

^Agreed

My original response was "covered with barnacles". Sometimes you have to bring the ship in to dry dock, scrape off the barnacles, slap on some fresh paint, tune the engines and rethink your fishing strategies. Hopefully our new captain can give us some hope by the end of the season. Dabo Swinney was 19-15 in his first 3+ seasons at Clemson, including a 70-33 loss to WVU in the season three bowl game.